Old 08-01-2021, 10:12 AM

Default 69 to 72 grand prix door panel

What are the differences in 69 to 72 grand prix door panels? I am doing a 70 and need some black door panels. I do not know what the interchange is between years. Thanks

Old 08-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'69 GP's used the molded lower door panels which on the top ledge had a molded plastic cup & a squeezable type handle to open the door. Uncracked molded lower panels were near impossible to find in the warmer climates even 30 years ago. As a result, many have had to send their lowers off have them vacuum remolded.

'70-72 GP's have door opening handles that go through the upper door panel. a small rectangular chrome pot metal bezel surrounds the handle. GP's without power windows have the round hole for the window crank. Pwr window GP's don't have the hole.

Last, down on the rear of the lower carpeted section of the door panel, there is a red reflector type deal. Believe it is SJ only, & only on '70-72 models. IF am wrong as to application, am sure I'll be corrected. This detail can be added or deleted when the lower carpet area on the panels is replaced. I can look, but I have a feeling the reflector type deal is the same as was used on bottom rear of all '72 Lux LeMans front door panels.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:21 AM

71-72 use a different mirror bezel...69-70 is oval...71-72 are square.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Never have seen anything in the carpeted area on 69-72 GPs but there was a courtesy light option in the lower vinyl area closer to latch end.. Not sure if standard on SJs but my 71 SJ has them. It is a light with white plastic lens, rectangular. The bezel does not overlap the vinyl very much at all.. Had to cut them in my replacement mint original panels,,,,,eeek. Worked out good though.
There is a depression in the pressboard backing of the panels if you look.

72 J Sundance Orange/Wht/Wht
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmodelj70 View Post
71-72 use a different mirror bezel...69-70 is oval...71-72 are square.
What I have noticed on the mirror bezel. It seems if they have a chrome mirror, it has the oval bezel, the body color mirror, has the square. Not 100% on that but I have been looking at those every time I see one and that's what I've spotted so far. I have been looking for a perfect or near perfect drivers panel for my SSJ for years.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:43 PM

Wow...I didn't know that a chrome mirror was an option on 71-72...in 40 years of junkyarding and car shows I have never seen one. Good to learn something new.