SOLD Pontiacs The cars in here have already been sold. The topics will be kept for a few months for referance.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:13 PM

Default 1966 GTO Post Coupe, 455 4-speed

I am selling my 1966 Pontiac GTO to gain space for other projects, I have had it since February of 2013 and done a ton of work but ready to see it go to a new home. This is a real 242 post coupe GTO that had been sitting for quite a while when I got it and I have brought it back to life over the last 8+ years to the point where it runs and drives excellent. It has been on the road steadily since the week I got it, I didn’t want to strip it down and do a full restoration and have really enjoyed it with the aged look. I have an Excel spreadsheet that details all of the parts and costs over that time and I have over 750 hours of my time in the car. I am in the Dallas, Tx area.

I have the PHS report on the car and it was originally a 389 4-bbl with the ST300 automatic and an open 3:08 rear end. It came with manual drum brakes, power steering, console and A/C and was Palmetto green (light green metallic) with black interior and a black vinyl top.

History

When I got it in 2013 the car had been painted red many years before, this has faded to an orange color that looks like Carousel Red and it has an awesome Day 2 patina-like look to it. The vinyl top was gone but everything else was pretty much stock like it came from the factory except it had a 455 with a Turbo 350 automatic trans. I had it running and driving the day after I got it and spent the first few years working on the steering, suspension, brakes and cooling system. The next stage was converting from automatic to a Muncie M20 4 speed and rebuilding the rear end to a 3:55 posi. I then installed the Vintage Air A/C and heat system in 2018. The most recent work was to update the interior, which I converted to the off-white Parchment color on the upholstery and door panels. It needs the seat backs installed (I have them) and a new headliner to complete the interior.

Engine

The 455 is a 1974 casting number 485428 YY code and has been bored .030” over. I have not had it apart or had the heads off. I bore scoped it and it has the Sealed Power LF 2359 forged pistons and an unknown cam that makes about 9.5” of vacuum and comes on like a rocket from 3k to 5k RPM. It has #96 heads (1971) that should put compression ratio at 9.5 to 1. The heads could use new valve stem seals, it does use a little oil. I changed out the stock iron intake for an Edelbrock RPM with an Edelbrock 750 carb, the old intake was port matched and I did the same to the RPM. It has Ram Air Restorations cast exhaust manifolds and a Mallory Unilite distributor and the water pump is new and clearanced for maximum cooling, it runs at 180 degrees even with the A/C on. It doesn’t leak a drop of anything, including the trans and rear end.

Drivetrain

The M20 Muncie 4 speed is fully rebuilt and has a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. The clutch is strong and the driveshaft is custom made for the car. I had the rear end rebuilt and set up by Corvette Corner in Rowlett and it has a 3:55 Yukon gear ring, pinion and posi unit.

Steering, Suspension and Brakes

The steering box was rebuilt with a 12:1 ratio quick turn conversion along with the pump. All steering and suspension parts front and rear are new with polyurethane bushings and IMI tubular control arms. A rear sway bar was also added along with Air Lift air bags in the rear and the car handles incredibly well. The stance is perfect, in my opinion. I converted the front brakes to power disc with all new parts and rebuilt the drum brakes in the rear, they have a very positive feel without being mushy.

Wheels and Tires

The wheels are polished Torque Thrust II with clear coat, and the tires are like new Cooper Cobras with date code 2019, they might have 500 miles on them. The fronts are 235/60-R15 on 15 x 7 and the rears are 255/60-15 on 15 x 8.

Body

The paint is shiny in most places with dings, scratches and thin spots that give it that perfect aged look in my opinion. The rear filler panel has rusted and leaked into the trunk area while it was parked for many years and the filler panel and trunk floor would eventually need to be replaced, the rest of the car is solid with a few very small spots of rust. I don't know what all was done to the body before it was painted and it may have filler in some places. The chrome and trim has a few dings but would polish out and look awesome. All emblems have been repainted and look great and all glass is good except for a few sanding scratches on the rear glass.

That should give you an idea of the condition. I have a clear Texas title in my name and will be keeping the plates that are on it now. I am asking $21,500, no trades or financing and I will not consider any deposits to hold it. Cash or bank wire transfer only and I don’t need help selling it. I will link to the C/L ad for pics tomorrow.

Thanks, Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 1.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	571914   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 5.JPG
Views:	499
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	571915   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 7.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	571916   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 8.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	571917  

Old 09-19-2021, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is this still available? I have a friend with cash and he's very interested (but not on the forums here)
Thank you!
Howard

1968 Lemans Convertible, Burgundy/Parchment 1968 428YH motor, ported#16 heads, Crosswinds intake, Cliff Ruggle built 750 cfm Qjet, Comp Cams XE268-110 lobe sep. Duration at .050" lift 224/230, M20, 3:23 rear, PS, PB. Best time with need mods: 14.0071 in the 1/4 mile at 100.00 mph
Old 09-19-2021, 01:56 PM

Yes, I still have it. I will be posting to other sites next week, I want to get the A/C recharged this week after I had to replace a hose and the drier.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 PM

Car is sold.