Old 10-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ho manifolds vs ram air manifolds

I have two sets of 67 HO manifolds one original and one reproduction does anyone know if the would work on a 70 Ram air III car or not thanks All.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a difference in the positioning of the exhaust outlet, at least on the drivers side ex manifold.
Over 20 years ago an old friend bought a pair of new RARE d-port manifolds to go on a '70 T/A build. Remembering this correctly, the shape of the rear casting was different & there was interference with the clutch rod arm on the z-bar with the rear of the manifold. Little investigation & we found out those repro manifolds were patterned off '67 original manifolds.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The late manifolds in an early chassis won't fit without cutting a large notch in the crossmember under the engine. I used RA III manifolds from a 70 Judge in a 67 chassis, and had to put a large notch in the frame to clear the outlets.

This is on the 67 GTO stock car in my signature pictures, because it was a race car sacrificing that frame section was insignificant. I would never consider it on a decent driver.

I've never owned a set of the 67 manifolds, so I have no direct experience in using early RA manifolds in a later chassis, sorry I can't answer that question.

Just an educated guess though, that Pontiac wouldn't have went to all the trouble to tool up redesigned manifolds for the later chassis, if the earlier ones would fit. They used the big car manifolds in the first gen Firebirds from existing patterns, and the second gen Firebirds will interchange with the later A body manifolds with out any changes, just common sense says those manifolds only fit the 64-67 A body cars, just because Pontiac only installed them in one year of chassis.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-19-2021, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just don't want to put them on and have problems fitting, to old for that.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Old 10-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the '67 ra Manifolds on my 71 GTO.
One of the studs from the manifold just hits the control arm mount on the driver side. The manifold will fit, but the stud is so close to the frame/control arm mount that I couldnt get the nut on there.
Pulling the stud and using a large hex/cap screw was probably the fix. I remember struggling to get the stud out of the manifold.

no problems on the passenger side.

Last edited by F ROCK; 10-20-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exactly same situation as F Rock.
here are the only pictures I have of this. These are 67 style R.A.R.E. manifolds in a 71 GTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA1481.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	575680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA1480.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	575681