Old 11-02-2021, 07:34 PM

Default help: I have a cherpping crank saft pulley. in my 350

I had this cherpping that was driving me crazy. Changed belts, no help. I then changed pulleys to the Altenator and power sterring, no help. I the decided to take both belts off, and there it was, the crank shaft pulley was the culperit. Any one have any idea, of the different causes? I figured worst case it being a crank shaft Bearing going bad.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

with no belts on.... the pulley area has a sqeeeeeeek ??

Old 11-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the chirping quit with the belts off.. Are the bolts tight and does it have a reinforcement plate?

Loose bolts and/or cracked pulleys from no reinforcement plate would be the most likely causes for those pulleys chirpping.

Clay

Old 11-02-2021, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Harmonic balancer?

Old 11-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had this happen once. Once bolt was missing the others were loose. The pulley had just a small bit of movement that was the sound of metal rubbing metal.

The other thing it might be is your running the same 15mm belts on both the Alt side and the PS side. You didn't mention if you tried to running with just one belt. I changed over to a 15mm for one and 17mm for the other.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you sure it's coming from the front and not the rear of the crankshaft (brass bushing, or bearing)?

Old 11-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take the pulley off the balancer and make sure it’s not cracking between the bolt holes. If you can you could pull balancer to check it for a crack also.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

See if the outside ring of the balancer slid back and is rubbing the timing cover. If so, you need a balancer.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had two balancers fail over the past 5 years (different cars). In one case I would get chirping/squeeking sounds at certain RPMs that sounded like a belt issue. I didn't figure out it was the balancer until I checked the timing to deal with another issue, and it was way way off. In the second case, I heard a metalic clanking sound at certain RPMs, I thought I had a loose bracket or an issue the fuel pump. Easy enough to check if the donut is slipping with the belts off.