Old 11-04-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Door Panel Pull Handle Insert

I am restoring a 1972 Trans Am with a Standard interior and have a question on how the Pull Handle insert, affixes to the door panel itself. I am restoring that car as "correct" as I can, so I am sweating these small/stupid details!

I am assuming I use two collared interior screws (like those shown in pictures 5 & 6). Is that correct?

The reason I am confused is because there is nothing other than the two holes in the lower door panel cup (plastic) that would hold the pull handle insert (ie no metal or holes on the inside portion of the door).

Picture 1 - Shows the lower portion of the door panel (arrow points toward the cup that the pull handle insert fits into).
Picture 3 - Shows the pull handle insert sitting alongside the cup that it fits into.
Picture 4 - Shows the pull handle insert sitting inside the cup that it fits into.
Picture 5 - Shows the detail of the collared interior screw and the pull handle insert.
Picture 6 - Shows the collared interior screw placed into the pull handle insert.

Thanks in advance for any help or pictures that you can provide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	576954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	576955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	576956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	576957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	576958  

Old 11-05-2021, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, some advice if I may. I'm sure you know this part of the panel gets a lot of "strain" not having a deluxe pull handle.
EDIT here: You are missing a part that bolts to your door. One of two shelves.
I have taken the metal "shelf" and welded a machine screw nut to the bottom of it and used a machine screw with same top as originals.
OR make sure you have a nice tight sheet metal clips on the shelf, and your door hinge Detent roller is well lubed and spins nicely.
Your screws look correct. the sheet metal clips will slide to right location. Originally there was no clips, they fitted the screws into the slots you see, and they pull out easily, or wreck the door panel.
Here is a pic of what you need, and what I was talking about above. This pic is a '72 T/A a member restored.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 11-05-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the "shelf" part that bolts to the door is definitely needed to attach the panel right, without it there is nothing to support the panel or for the screws to attach to. if needed i have some of the shelf brackets id sell for cheap...

a nut or clip is a good idea for the shelf bracket but if the slots arent wallowed too bad you can flip them over with support underneath & carefully hammer the back side to close the slot back up & provide a good grab for the screws. doing that worked good on my 72 firebird but i have the deluxe pull strap i use to pull the door closed so not much stress is put on them.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:13 AM

Formulabruce - Thank you for the reply and excellent advice. I, too, was very concerned with the amount of "pull" on the door and nothing substantive to hold the door panel to the actual door frame.

78w72 - I would definitely like to purchase the "Shelf brackets" that you have. Let me know how much and how you prefer payment. Shipping zip code is: 33549.

Thank you both for the replies!

Old 11-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Goat herder View Post
Formulabruce - Thank you for the reply and excellent advice. I, too, was very concerned with the amount of "pull" on the door and nothing substantive to hold the door panel to the actual door frame.

78w72 - I would definitely like to purchase the "Shelf brackets" that you have. Let me know how much and how you prefer payment. Shipping zip code is: 33549.

let me locate them today & get back to you, will send you a PM.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

neat - I have never seen those plastic(?) inserts before - and I've pulled parts off of (for someone in my age range) what I believe to be ALOT of 1972-1977 f-bodies.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
neat - I have never seen those plastic(?) inserts before - and I've pulled parts off of (for someone in my age range) what I believe to be ALOT of 1972-1977 f-bodies.
I do not think they are on a Deluxe interior car. I believe this was a weak attempt
to add some strength to the only door "pull" the door has. Will look at a base interior today

Old 11-05-2021, 04:12 PM

Formulabruce - From the research I conducted, the inserts are not present on the Deluxe interior door panel. As you elude, the Deluxe interior door panel has a door strap that mounts to the door, giving it some strength; unlike the Standard interior door panel which doesn't use the strap.

Sadly, I couldn't find this view/breakdown in any assembly or parts manuals that I have.

The greatness of this forum, is the knowledge that you guys have and are willing to share.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The greatness of this forum, is the knowledge that you guys have and are willing to share.
I couldn't agree more.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-05-2021, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Formulabruce - From the research I conducted, the inserts are not present on the Deluxe interior door panel. As you elude, the Deluxe interior door panel has a door strap that mounts to the door, giving it some strength; unlike the Standard interior door panel which doesn't use the strap.

Sadly, I couldn't find this view/breakdown in any assembly or parts manuals that I have.

my 72 firebird does not have those cups & is the deluxe interior with pull straps. the screws just go right into the panel. ive parted a lot of these cars as well & have never seen those cups.

i did locate those brackets for you, will send a PM later tonight with details.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

PM sent

Old 11-06-2021, 11:22 AM

78w72 - I replied to your PM. Thank you for locating the brackets.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:26 PM
Suspended

I'm not familiar with the early years in detail but even looking at first post it looked to me like an addition added by GM later to correct the flimsy area when pulling. Even if it wasn't, that's how it would appear, but also one that can be added or removed just as easily. Good pics too.

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 11-06-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too, could Not find a parts listing in a vintage parts manual.
I would like to know if there is a number on the back of the part.
For Pontiac to make this "after the fact" they would be obligated to make it in many colors I would 'Assume"
I did find one that disintegrated ( "perished" for those in the UK) and was almost white looking on a 71 Sandalwood std door panel.
I will have to assume it was Sandalwood and not black, but the car was a California car and pretty sun cooked.
I have a 72 black std car here and it does Not have them. It is a Connecticut car.
There were aftermarket company's making and marketing interior related parts in the 70's and even into the 80's for these cars like
console lids, covers, cup holders, CB related parts, pedal covers, seat covers, etc. I suppose its possible someone copied the grain and painted these.
They had no trouble making hard plastic console lids. "Cal-Custom" comes to mind. Probably made in Japan.
ALL of this ..... IMHO