Old 11-03-2021, 03:41 PM

Default Alternator Bracket question

I have a Ac car, manual steering... Which bracket does it take, the small non-PS one, or the larger PS one?
Also, does anyone have a belt diagram for this set up?

Thanks in advance! Trent

Old 11-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Boost Engineer

The Front End Accessory Drive Engineer at Pontiac was constantly changing things on the FEAD system year to year.
It will help answer your question if you can post up the year of the vehicle and the model and engine.
64 is different from 65. The 64 uses a Cast Iron Bracket the 65 uses a aluminum bracket.
Is the car all original or has had a engine swap?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Trent -- I can't help you with the bracket part of the question. But here is a diagram showing the belt arrangement taken from the 1964 shop manual.

Tom V. -- Are you sure that '64 used a cast-iron alternator bracket? If so, I guess I have the wrong one as it is aluminum. BTW - my car is manual steering/no ac.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley arrangement.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	576895  

Old 11-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow - what a combination - A/C and no power steering? Scratching my head on that one. Even heavier front end and no P/S.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:54 PM

Production date 2-25 1964, 389 with 4 barrel, 4 speed, power brakes... original engine I believe AC, lots of options, here's the PHS...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO Options.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	576901  

Old 11-05-2021, 05:11 PM

Ok, dug up this picture, from 2014 best of show winner...
Looks like it uses the PS bracket when you have AC? Anyone else have a manual steering, AC car?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alt bracket.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	576993  

Old 11-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And as that picture looks like there is an available adjustment slot for PS and comparing to the pictures above from the manual it looks like the same bracket may have been use on all but the standard car.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:54 AM

Right... I'm trying to wrap my head around why they might have used the larger, PS bracket on the AC cars... The system has two belts, the AC compressor doesn't add tension to the alternator, and it looks weird, having that slotted ear sticking out there?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Tom V. -- Are you sure that '64 used a cast-iron alternator bracket? If so, I guess I have the wrong one as it is aluminum. BTW - my car is manual steering/no ac.

I was speaking of typical A/C engines that were built with A/C, P/S, for 1964

Whatever, you have a unique combination. I have never looked at non P/S alternator brackets vs say a 1965 non P/S bracket to see if they are different when A/C is installed. Could very well be both aluminum. My understanding was the A/C pulley mounted on the rear portion of the harmonic balancer which shimmed out the belts somewhat. That would make the Pontiac drawing wrong.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 11-07-2021 at 05:02 PM.