Old 11-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70-72 repop quarter panels any good?

Have any of you tried the repop quarter panels for 70-72 GTOs? Yes, I already know that most repop sheetmetal isn't very good, but every once in a while some good stuff does come out.

I "think" these are made by golden star. I see them at the Parts Place and Jegs.

Regards,
Old Joe

Old 11-13-2021, 06:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1965GP mentioned that his body shop guy used them and loved them. I would like to know the brand he used. Thank you for the tip!

Old 11-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used them. One for drivers side and cut one for a patch for the passenger side.

Mine were purchased 8-9 years ago and I think I read there were a few updates made in the production run and I am not sure which version I used.

Regardless, I would rate them 7 or 8/10. Overall they fit well, but had 4 issues that needed fixing:

-the body line that runs above the rear wheel should fade to nothing in front of the door. The ones I received had the line all the way to the jamb so some hammer and dolly work was needed to correct this.

-the drivers side corner for back window where it meets the trunk filler panel has a different curve than the stainless trim, and needs some work. Not sure if passenger side has same issue.

-the trunk lid gap on drivers side tapers to nothing (no gap) where the back of the quarter turns down to meet the bumper. This required cutting a section out and welding closed. Not sure if passenger side has this issue.

-the jamb on drivers side is shaped a bit different than factory quarter, and the door gap gets wider near the top of the quarter. I fixed this by welding rod to the top edge of my door to match the quarter shape. Not sure if passenger side has same issues.

The section I cut out of the full quarter for a patch on the passenger side fit very well, and was infinitely better than using a skin.

Overall, I would use these again. The stampings are crisp and look great once installed and issues corrected.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 02-23-2022, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

I am in the process of doing both quarters, wheelhouses, deck filler and package tray on my 1971 T-37. Overall the quarter stampings are good quality but have the issues stated above.
-All the issues in mrennie's post are very true.
-There is not aftermarket package tray so save your original!
-The aftermarket deck filler panel needs a ton of modification so save your original if possible.
-The USA outer wheelhouses are decent. When I layed them on the quarter they didn't look anywhere close, once installed on the car they are much better that I thought they would be. If your outers are savable I would go that route.
-Don't forget you need to reuse the stiffener around the quarter window and the B-pillar support so don't damage those on removal!

Old 02-23-2022, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more issue I found that should/could be corrected before paint:

-The curve of the rear window opening does not fully match the stainless trim at the top corner where it meets the roof. I was aware that it was not perfect when I mocked it up during bodywork, but at the time thought it was quite minor and would not be that noticeable.

Now that the car is painted and I have installed the window trim, there is a noticeable gap just before and after the curve, almost as if the curve is too sharp and should have been more gentle.

In hindsight I wish I had done more to correct this.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...