THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The earlier Cummins are highly sought after in this area because they have less emissions equipment. A rust free one here would fetch $12,000 easily with high miles, that truck might fetch $15-20k.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
You may be undervaluing your '64 4 speed Galaxie have you looked at what they are going for? What color, engine, etc. is your car? Pictures?
Black with red interior. Original red red car.

Z code 390/4barrel 4 speed.

I think it have it priced honest and fair. It’s a hell of a driver, but it’s exactly that. Driver quality. What I would call a Mmaco paint job. Gets plenty of compliments driving down the highway but don’t stare at it up close. Same with the chrome and interior. It’s the 4 speed that keeps its price north of 15k. Texas car so it’s not rusty. It had one bad floor pan that I replaced.

If you are actually interested I can send you more pictures. Drives great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE2DDE8A-A969-4908-B317-FF1F9A5839B0.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	578406   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6B9564B-679E-46D3-BB86-4A66ADEAB0A5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	578407   Click image for larger version

Name:	737DC1AA-9217-45B8-BDA5-2716EA3E2764.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	578408  

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 11-22-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Black with red interior. Original red red car.

Z code 390/4barrel 4 speed.

I think it have it priced honest and fair. It’s a hell of a driver, but it’s exactly that. Driver quality. What I would call a Mmaco paint job. Gets plenty of compliments driving down the highway but don’t stare at it up close. Same with the chrome and interior. It’s the 4 speed that keeps its price north of 15k. Texas car so it’s not rusty. It had one bad floor pan that I replaced.

If you are actually interested I can send you more pictures. Drives great.
Nice ride! I love Galaxys.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the 6BT engine(5.9 12V)the things to look for is 1.) has the fuel injection been modified? 2.) if so, what mods were made? I have seen 12Vs with broken cranks after some bozo decided “smoke is par”. The injectors and injections pumps on the 12V are bulletproof if properly maintained. Change the fuel filter every time you change the oil and filter. Here in Indiana you will need to be using Standadyne Red fuel additive. It helps provide lubricity that the ultra low sulfur “on road” diesel cannot. The Dodge electronic overdrive transmissions are NOT as durable as their GM and Ford counterparts ate; as for why I’m not sure other than the Cummins engines do tend to put out more torque unmodified. If you do decide to modify your truck after purchase, contact Scheid Diesel in Terre Haute. They can set you on the correct course.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
On the 6BT engine(5.9 12V)the things to look for is 1.) has the fuel injection been modified? 2.) if so, what mods were made? I have seen 12Vs with broken cranks after some bozo decided “smoke is par”. The injectors and injections pumps on the 12V are bulletproof if properly maintained. Change the fuel filter every time you change the oil and filter. Here in Indiana you will need to be using Standadyne Red fuel additive. It helps provide lubricity that the ultra low sulfur “on road” diesel cannot. The Dodge electronic overdrive transmissions are NOT as durable as their GM and Ford counterparts ate; as for why I’m not sure other than the Cummins engines do tend to put out more torque unmodified. If you do decide to modify your truck after purchase, contact Scheid Diesel in Terre Haute. They can set you on the correct course.
That name sounds familiar so that might be who he used actually. He gave me a list of small modifications but I dont remember them. A buddy who is more educated on the subject said they are what would be considered tasteful. Add a little pep, but nothing outrageous. Injectors were one of them. He sounded like he just gave it to the diesel performance shop and let them do a few things. Exhaust, the custom headliner, the dash, and the engine stuff.

At this point, while I dont think its a bad trade, because I am ultimately not interested in the truck myself Im probably just going to ask him to sell his truck and then buy my car.

The allure for me is mostly that old car people are so picky, they always think they are getting robbed somehow. You have to explain every little detail, and even then its been through 50 years of life before I had it. I dont know its life story. No I dont think there is any bondo in it, feel free to attack it with a magnet. etc etc

With the truck I thought its just easier to explain. Its a 12v with 150k on it. There isnt any notable rust. The AC works and the interior is clean. What else is there? Do you want it or not?

It just seems easier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Those era dodge trucks are starting to get a little attention. Finding one without rust is a unicorn. Even with 4 wd I would say 12k-16k tops. Those cummins are good for 500k miles easily. I would think for the asking price of your car you are looking at an even swap, and yes it may be easier to sell the truck than the car. I dont think youre going to make a lot of money on the deal though. As far as 4 doors, I dont remember seeing a lot of them in that body style, lots of crew cabs though.
You might get 500K out of the Cummins, but not the rest of the drivetrain. My understanding is the transmissions are the weak sopt.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ultimately it looks like it doesn’t matter.

He talked to his “Galaxie Expert” friend today who told him that my car is about $10k max. I knew when he told me he was consulting his expert buddy I was in trouble.

Apparently the guy has one so that makes him the end all be all on the market. Unfortunately his expertise on pricing is dated to about 1998.

I sent the guy a screenshot of the three manual transmission 64s currently on eBay. The cheapest of which was $11k more than mine. I told him to find me a better BB/4 speed car for cheaper and I was perfectly willing to negotiate, but his friends opinion held zero water. I’m guessing once he is out in the market for a while he will sober and up realize I wasn’t crazy.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:18 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

I looked at Diesel trucks a few years back and found its essential to locate a forum that speaks to the certain "years " or generations.
Which have their special own "issues", that they all will have, that you need to be aware of.
Certain time bomb type scenario like the transmissions will experience etc. There are a few FB forums with guys that rebuild transmissions and speak to them what to be aware of and what to expect.

I drew my own conclusion I would NOT get any automatic from any year, that alone turned me away from them.
I figured manual or nothing from all my research what I was guaranteed facing from an Auto eventually.

I looked at New trucks too and saw the Dodge brand had swap out factories did, to the "I think called AISIN" type , to "alleviate" the failure issues crisis the transmissions were causing many owners.
They didn't say that directly yet I am a Long time mechanic, well aware of factory "fixes"
of all sorts Factories do , and I can easily tell this was a "shrouded move" to avert the transmission issues lot of diesels are known for.

And history like the auto industry has always done this maneuver trick.
Start asking around and do diligent research Before you acquire any diesel especially Dodge product with an Auto.

On FB its called "Precision transmission fan page" , go start there and start asking around as much as possible and other places, research research and research Before plunking down titles!!!.

I saw that one element and got cold feet right away from what I was seeing in a large way.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:51 PM

I’ve had 2 different dealers recently offer $20k for my 06 2500 mega cab 4wd with 5.9/6spd. I’m in SW MS
If dealers are offering that, wonder what they would list it for?
It may be up for sale soon, as I only have 1 child left at home a a regular cab truck to pull with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAB71ACC-8E3C-4096-8C27-FC2A189E6FC0.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	578489  

Last edited by vr1967; 11-24-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr1967 View Post
I’ve had 2 different dealers recently offer $20k for my 06 2500 mega cab 4wd with 5.9/6spd. I’m in SW MS
If dealers are offering that, wonder what they would list it for?
It may be up for sale soon, as I only have 1 child left at home a a regular cab truck to pull with.
30k if miles aren't crazy high.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles