Old 10-29-2021, 09:54 PM

What was the "Change Alert " posted on the PHS ?

Old 11-17-2021, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default here is the PHS from the TWR race car

I believe this car is a 3.73 "COZ" with a Muncie M20. The original rear end is with the vehicle. I only assumed it is/was an M20 car since there is no RPO noting a change to an M21.

Was there not an option RPO code to designate the option for upgrading to an M21? Asking because I do not know.

Interesting that your car, only a few serial numbers away from our car, also went to NJ.

Sorry I meant no intention of hi jacking your thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 TA 107497.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	578026  

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 11-17-2021, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPI View Post
I believe this car is a 3.73 "COZ" with a Muncie M20. The original rear end is with the vehicle. I only assumed it is/was an M20 car since there is no RPO noting a change to an M21.

Was there not an option RPO code to designate the option for upgrading to an M21? Asking because I do not know.

Interesting that your car, only a few serial numbers away from our car, also went to NJ.

M21 never shows up on the invoice of a Trans Am, since the 4-speed transmission itself was a "no cost" option. However the 3.73 axle and Heavy Duty radiator that were also required with an M21 WERE extra cost, so they're on the invoice. Only way to confirm the trans for sure, if it's not still with the car, would have been with a build sheet. Invoices don't show ALL content -- just extra cost content.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Thanks for posting! That’s crazy that there were only 5 cars between our TA’s on the assembly line (assuming that’s how VIN’s are assigned). I don’t think I’ve ever encountered VIN’s so close together. Only 1 day apart on the shipping date. What color interior do you have?

I would have assumed your TA was originally a M21 car by the options on the PHS. Do you have any of the original drivetrain?

I’m really curious of the casting dates on your block/heads/intake/manifolds… etc. I don’t have the original engine or transmission. I had a wild guess that the casting dates would fall around November 1969 (just a guess based on a hunch).

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 11-24-2021, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Interesting. I was just looking at the PHS on my ‘70 TA and it is exactly the same as yours, except I have an option for floor mats ($6.15). I always assumed that my car was an M20/3.55 car, but this thread has me wondering. The car is restored but has all its original parts. Is it possible it has an M21 in it? How can I tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was built later and shipped to MI. My casting dates are all April 1970.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations to the OP on his purchase!. I actually saw this car when I was looking for my TA. Best of luck with it! If you find the manual trans you want to run and are interested in getting rid of the M40, let me know. I’m looking at building a Pontiac bracket car.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Interesting. I was just looking at the PHS on my ‘70 TA and it is exactly the same as yours, except I have an option for floor mats ($6.15). I always assumed that my car was an M20/3.55 car, but this thread has me wondering. The car is restored but has all its original parts. Is it possible it has an M21 in it? How can I tell?

Well without climbing underneath it you should be able to tell just by driving it.

With a M20 the first gear will be “shorter” and accelerate better initially in first gear (maybe go 45 mph in first at redline). It will also have a noticeable drop or “bog” when shifting from 3rd to 4th under acceleration.

A M21 will have “longer” first gear acceleration (maybe 50-55mph at redline) and will continue to accelerate better with less rpm drop between gears. You won’t have that “bog” when going from 3rd to 4th under acceleration.

I think that’s the best I can describe it

Old 11-24-2021, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Congratulations to the OP on his purchase!. I actually saw this car when I was looking for my TA. Best of luck with it! If you find the manual trans you want to run and are interested in getting rid of the M40, let me know. I’m looking at building a Pontiac bracket car.

Thanks! It took well over a year to finally get the purchase done. If it goes back as a manual any time soon it will get a Tremec TKX. The auto trans isn’t anything too special. It doesn’t have a transbrake or anything. That being said I need to get to the track soon