THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done quite a bit yanking, pushing, pulling etc. on my GTO while it's on the jack, seems very stable ... but just wanted make sure someone else had tested waters before I jumped in

Old 11-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can I borrow one? The flex plate in the Jeep GC is broke and needs to be replaced. Actually I need a high-lift. This ain't gonna be fun.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that I haven't seen addressed is that this lift should only be used on a flat level surface strong enough to support the vehicle weight. With the SUV extensions would the lift be 21.5"s?

Old 11-19-2021, 08:57 AM

fyrffytr1,

I lifted my for Edge with three blocks (pinch weld block on top).

I did not measure the height but assume it did lift it at least the 21" or so.

Yes it most diffidently needs to be on a level ground. But as you can see I did use it out on the asphalt driveway. I would not want to leave sit out on asphalt for a lone periods of time thou. Concrete no problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Ford Edge lifted by Quickjack.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	578076  

Old 11-25-2021, 01:55 PM

Default Hydraulic fittings

I got my Quickjack yesterday from Costco.
I was inspecting all parts before putting it together and I found one of the elbow fittings is not completely drilled out. It has a very small hole compared to the other one. Anyone else notice this? Seems like one side would go up slow???
I have emailed Quickjack support.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5978.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	578537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5980.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	578538  

Old 11-25-2021, 02:08 PM
Senior Chief

Have seen for $700 but is probably a Chinese knock-off. $1300 at Home Depot.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 326HO-Lemans View Post
I got my Quickjack yesterday from Costco.
I was inspecting all parts before putting it together and I found one of the elbow fittings is not completely drilled out. It has a very small hole compared to the other one. Anyone else notice this? Seems like one side would go up slow???
I have emailed Quickjack support.
Did not notice that myself but I'm interested in what their reply will be. Please follow up here.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone see the Black Friday advert on Motor Trend TV??

Just looked...$200 off.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 11-26-2021, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

326HO-Lemans, I don't have one of these lifts, but have owned a lift for many years and to be honest I didn't read through all these posts, BUT I will say do some research before assuming the elbow is wrong. With many lifts they put restrictions in to prevent the car from crashing down in the event of a hose rupture, it's preferred to have it drop slowly. That is what jumped out when I saw the elbow pic, I could be talking out my azz, but check into it first before changing it out to one without a restriction.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

My lift has mechanical stops for long term use. Most do.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

When the vehicle is being lowered past the last lock position, there is the risk of hose breakage and the car falling to the floor. My bendpack 2 post has restrictions in the system to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:09 AM

Finally got replacement part from Bendpak. Could not get answer from them on what was correct. Replacement is not restricted.
I wonder what would have happened with one hose restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 326HO-Lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 04:05 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Great info here as usual PY'ers. Kudos to everyone who asked questions, and especially those with the posted experiences. I read this thread before my recent knee replacement surgery. As I was getting my 72 LeMans vert off the jack stands and on the floor in case it needed to be moved, I was wondering about the "utility" for those of us with limited body movements.

Getting down on one knee (if lucky) and crawling on the concrete floor was tough and will be tougher now. Would the QuickJack (CostCo has 'em on sale now) be easier to use than floorjack/crawl around/jack stands for those unable to get on the floor? Or would they be worth it? This thread has had a great "capability" discussion, but I am only asking about using them with less than full bodily functions.

Just FYI, my '72 HT body is on my rotisserie, and the frame/engine is on top of my four-post lift. So I have to work on the vert on the floor under the lift. Would the Quick Jack make it easier to lift the vert for trans/rear/underneath access than floor jacking ... jack stand moving ... and remove the floor jack?

Thanks IA guys. As always great info from knowledgeable folks who actually work on their cars is helpful.

Ogre

Old 10-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the major reasons I bought a QJ was the result of my last cancer surgery. Kneeling down to polish rims was an extremely painful experience. With the QJ, I could get the car lifted high enough so I could sit on my rolling stool to polish rims.

My problem wasn't my knees, it was the fact that my last cancer surgery required one of the 4 surgeons carving out my right side core muscles wear scar tissue from cancer surgery #1 had run amok. Bending over or kneeling caused severe pain issues to my core area.

QJ worked great for that. I have to admit that I recently sold my QJ to my younger brother. We sold our previous house where I had a 1200 sq ft work shop in addition to a 700 sq ft attached garage. Our new home only has a little over 1000 sq ft - so I bought a 4 post lift so I could get our 2 daily drivers and the Camaro and GTO in the garage.

Photo shows the Camaro up in the air to make polishing rims much easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camaro 4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	601070  

Old 10-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My QJ showed up a month ago. bought it because of all the people here that liked them. for me I was tired of cribbing each corner to get it high enough to work on. Then disassembling it all to lower it back to the ground. Now its a breeze to lift and lower. Is it heavy? yes i bought the xl version for stability.(little longer,6inches actually) But once i get down to place the lifting point blocks and make sure its all centered its just a button press to get the ole girl in the air. I keep the system under the car so i only have to move the side rails that do the lifting,think heavy awkward. Putting my drive shaft loop in,trans pan filter and seal,some minor exhaust work in and an oil change made a big difference for me vs the old way. better than a 2 post lift? no way. better than jacks and jack stands? hell yea!

Old 10-24-2022, 07:16 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Champ. I liked your earlier review.

My main concern is that if I have to get down on the floor to situate the Quick Jack, I haven't gained anything, and the purchase may be a waste of money.

Kneeling is out for me, but if I can get it under the vehicle from my rolling seat, it might be worth it.

Ogre

Old 10-25-2022, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ogre ... I'm a pretty fit 64 year old with everything working ... and I still find getting down on the floor to adjust the QJ to be a bit of a pain. There is always a bit of nudging this way and that to get the pads where you want them, laying down on the floor to eyeball how they look side to side etc.

And of course they have to be slid out of the way to drive the car in and out of the shop. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, and it's better than jack stands any way you look at it. But don't get the idea you position them and forget them and just and up and down button. They do require time on the floor most every time you use them unless you never move the QJ or the car.

If you plan on having the car in the air a while, or need to work underneath ... they are excellent, but if you have limited mobility you are going to find it a bit of a chore to position the jacks and you can probably forget getting them off the floor and storing them without a helper.

I don't kneel much at all using them ... I do however lay on the floor a lot to nudge them around before lifting. Not sure how high your rolling seat is ... but far as I know none of the QJ go high enough to be in a seated position under the car.

IF getting on the floor is not possible, I would call the QJ a non-starter.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:56 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, Dataway.

The reviews by everyone on the capabilities was so enticing, I thought it might work for me. But the few videos on-line seemed to require the same sequence you described. And my old 76 yo "rode-hard-and-put-up-wet" multiple joint surgeries body is not a candidate for that.

So I'll end my dragging this thread back up ... I'm sure someone else will in the future. LOL

Ogre

The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Ranger Quick Jack

Ogre, you might look into "Kwik-Lift.com" might work for you. I see on their .com site they are currently on a production hold (made in Tulsa, Ok.) but I see on Facebook Marketplace there are two for sale in Arkansas and you're in Texas. Might be doable. I have one and like it only have to get down on floor one time to line up floor jack under lifting tube. Still it's just a lower cost compromise. Best to have both a 4 post and 2 post lifts. Best of everything. But $$$'s.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with everything said here about it being a bit of a hassle to get into position before you actually lift the car but it is a hundred times better than the old way with jack stands and floor jacks.
I find that the two handles they include, I can't remember what they called them, are very helpful in moving them around. You just hook it over the framework somewhere and drag it into position. This is once they are already close to being in position but just need a few inches this way or that.