Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default More than 2 years since PY Ames deal

When we announced that Ames was going to take over PY's retail operations, there was a lot of concern and disappointment. Back then, despite the negativity, I told everyone there would be some significant advantages. I'm sure there are still some old PY customers that are still feeling the personal sting of that deal and I realize we can't fix some of the reasons why it doesn't work for some of you but I can tell you it's helping our Pontiac hobby.

Things that would have never happened if Ames and PY didn't do that deal:

1969 GTO/LeMans Trunk Lid
1968 GTO/LeMans trunk Lid
1968 GTO/Lemans Valance in metal
1964 GTO Hood Scoops
1967-68 GTO/LeMans Deluxe steering wheel spoke sets
1967-68 GTO/LeMans deluxe steering wheel center cap (almost done!)
1972-1979 correct Trans Am Formula Wheel
1971-1972 GTO Custom Sport Foam Wheel
1964-67 D-Port RA manifolds at a 20% retail price reduction
1968-1981 D-port RA manifolds at a 20% retail price reduction
69-72 GP fender patch panels
69-72 GP quarter patch panels
68-72 RA and standard vent tubes in stainless and a 30% retail price reduction
1964-1981 Firebird and GTO performance aluminum radiators at a 25% retail price reduction over previous available brand.
2004-2006 GTO SAP grills
2004-2006 GTO SAP lower front valance
65-67 Stainless louvered air cleaner lid at 30% retail price reduction

Ames Performance is going to be setup and vending at the 2017 PY / Pypes Open House in June. Who would have ever thought a major competitor would be in the parking lot of their competition? (GM Carlisle was abandoned and replaced with the Chevy Nationals. If it weren't for our agreement, the Pontiac hobby would have lost a good quality June event for you all to come and to buy parts at)

These are just some of the major highlights that have taken place. There are dozens of other new items that have been made and dozens of items that were retooled for improved quality and lower pricing.

So despite some negativity that has been lingering, The Pontiac hobby is doing better than ever and it's not just coincidence!!!

Regards,

Chris

Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't felt any negative effects from the merger Chris, thanks for helping keep the Pontiac hobby alive. It would be nice to see a fix for the ill fitting 1970 GTO lower valance splitter/spoiler added to that list? Much success to you for the next 2 years.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of weeks ago I was exchanging emails with Mike. I had contacted him with a Pypes related question. We talked about the industry at our particular levels and he had lots of positive things to say about how your company has advanced.
BTW, I still miss Pontiacs at the Park.............................................. .........

Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post

1967-68 GTO/LeMans Deluxe steering wheel spoke sets
1967-68 GTO/LeMans deluxe steering wheel center cap (almost done!)

Did the wheel, itself, fall through the cracks?

Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
No but it is sure been a nightmare to get it done right. We are not close enough to give a date. That's why I didn't mention it.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This sounds like lipstick on a hot chick?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
This sounds like lipstick on a hot chick?
Not the analogy I would have come up with but I like it!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

we really need 69-72 Grand Prix door panels!!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, It'sa time...for repoped bodies, shells. My 1968 GTO is all good except the shell. Many 10s of thousands of 68 & 69 owners have this condition.

Dynacorn has the 1970 Chevelle
realdealsteel has f-bodies.
me-too companies are springing up with add-on suspension packages etc.

. HIS

Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
We found a new wheel source! However, we're going to do the 69-70 Wood wheel first and then get back on the 67-68 deluxe wheel. For years, we did the 69-70 wood wheel and then lost our source for making the woodgrain rim.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Chris, It'sa time...for repoped bodies, shells. My 1968 GTO is all good except the shell. Many 10s of thousands of 68 & 69 owners have this condition.

Dynacorn has the 1970 Chevelle
realdealsteel has f-bodies.
me-too companies are springing up with add-on suspension packages etc.

. HIS
Mark, you sure do like to think big.....with other's money! lol!

This is a monster project and can only be accomplished by one of maybe 2 or 3 sources in Taiwan. Dynacorn's parent company has had a vision of doing all the body shells for over 10 years. With the Chevelle done, it's not out of the question but I'd guess they'll pick other Chevelle models first. You never know.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
We found a new wheel source! However, we're going to do the 69-70 Wood wheel first and then get back on the 67-68 deluxe wheel. For years, we did the 69-70 wood wheel and then lost our source for making the woodgrain rim.
Hi Chris, I do apologize if it seems I'm tugging on your shirt tail here, but I didn't see the Deluxe Wheel topic in this post. I did however see the GTO Deluxe Wheel poll and enquired there about a ETA.

I fully understand it takes time to produce a quality part so by all means, and I'm sure everyone involved would agree, take your time. I'm just wondering if you have to start over with the 69-70 wheel, (ie tooling) or if its simply a matter of production.

If it is as you say and the 69-70 wheel was produced for years, then a lot of the guys who needed or wanted one got one.

Its us 67-68 guys turn. Perhaps I need to start a (Revolt Against The 69-70 Wheel) thread. 67-68 Wheel69-70 Wheel

Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post

I'm just wondering if you have to start over with the 69-70 wheel, (ie tooling) or if its simply a matter of production.

If it is as you say and the 69-70 wheel was produced for years, then a lot of the guys who needed or wanted one got one.

Its us 67-68 guys turn. Perhaps I need to start a (Revolt Against The 69-70 Wheel) thread. 67-68 Wheel69-70 Wheel
I sympathize with you. I actually would have preferred we did the 67-68 deluxe wheel first. We have a lot of money invested in doing the spokes, horn contacts and the center cap assembly. However, it just turned out that way. However, we are going to work on both wheels simultaneously for the most part. So it shouldn't affect the release date too much.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I sympathize with you. I actually would have preferred we did the 67-68 deluxe wheel first. We have a lot of money invested in doing the spokes, horn contacts and the center cap assembly. However, it just turned out that way. However, we are going to work on both wheels simultaneously for the most part. So it shouldn't affect the release date too much.
Thanks for the quick reply, it's nice to know everyone's opinion counts around here, hence the poll for the wheel as well as your reply.

My dad had a 67 Tempest Sprint 3 on the tree, loved that steering wheel and the car.
I have a 68 Goat bench seat 4spd, best of both worlds for me.

Many will want some or all the components when they see it's available, I've been waiting 20 yrs.
BTW I was just kidding about the revolt thingy, er um, for the most part, .

We appreciate you man again,
Frank

Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

But we still miss seeing you around Chris!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-09-2019, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I thought it was a good idea for you and Ames to join forces against the competition like Year One and OPG (Out of Parts Group) and others who have huge budgets and vend to 10 different models

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Very impressive list of new parts, but I don't see anything for a 1962 B body.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM

I’m still upset over this merge thing, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! I really liked being able to call for parts in the morning, and drive down and pick them up after lunch, and got to see everyone and have a laugh or two. I always felt like one of the family, PY was a big part of what my 69 bird is today, and now I have my dream TA that needs things, and honestly I never had good luck with AMEs. Now I have to deal with those other guys. Year one, Classic Industries, NPD.....nope not a happy camper where the merge is concerned.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2! The Ames back order rate has gone down since the merger. I tried to patronize both but I remember ordering from Ames and half the stuff would be back ordered. I'm glad your making progress on parts tho.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too am within throwing distance of Hatfield, and when I started my 77 resto I would make an occasional pick up, just because. I was a bit disappointed at first that this option was disappearing. Of all the new parts I got for my car, I would estimate 90% came from Ames, as well as my Pypes exhaust purchased through another vendor. Located in the mid-atlantic I always get my order in a 2 or 3 day turnaround, which is great. Not that its necessary though when my restoration took 5 years, nothing was done in a hurry! I have just begun another restoration of a TATA this time around and anticipate patronizing Ames again. I am a satisfied customer to date.