Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Wire ID assistance

1969 GTO........ found this Blue wire under dash main harness ... melted?? Want to findout what it goes to..... so I can assest my level of panic!! Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02DCE304-C3EF-4694-9947-275CFF907C80.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	493606  

Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't think it's dark enough blue for the oil gauge sending unit.

I'd try to follow the wire to see where it goes?
Could be for the light circuit high beams possibly?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Don't think it's dark enough blue for the oil gauge sending unit.

I'd try to follow the wire to see where it goes?
Could be for the light circuit high beams possibly?

Taking your advice...... following the wire, I found the wire is darker where it goes into the steering column harness......(thought it was strange the wire seems to run down the steering column) but it's looking like it goes to the OP switch as I attempted to follow form shop manual......the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards replacing the entire dash harness......not sure if I'm up to the task or the $500 price tag of the harness.

Thx

Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Updates?

Dark blue coming out of the steering column is for right front turn and right turn indicator in the dash. A short in that circuit should be blowing turn or hazzard fuses before melting wires.

Dark blue for oil pressure, with light or guage, shouldn't have enough current going through it, to melt, if the wire was shorted straight to ground. Shorted out it would just turn the light on or peg the needle on the guage.

If that's the only bare spot you see and every thing works right...I'd tape it up and forget it. Now if any strands are broke...I'd cut the bad out and make a good splice.

Clay

Old 10-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be wise, however you decide to repair this, you need to determine what cause the melt so that it does not happen again to the new wiring harness. Excess heat generated by current flow is the most likely cause. That blue wire runs out to the core support. Look for a pinched wire or a bad turn signal enclosure.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Dark blue coming out of the steering column is for right front turn and right turn indicator in the dash. A short in that circuit should be blowing turn or hazzard fuses before melting wires.

Dark blue for oil pressure, with light or guage, shouldn't have enough current going through it, to melt, if the wire was shorted straight to ground. Shorted out it would just turn the light on or peg the needle on the guage.

If that's the only bare spot you see and every thing works right...I'd tape it up and forget it. Now if any strands are broke...I'd cut the bad out and make a good splice.

Clay
I thought it went to the OP sending unit......looking at the wiring diagram, the it looks like the blue wire from the steering column runs to the printed circuit letter D?..... ignition? I plant to take another look today......

Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
It would be wise, however you decide to repair this, you need to determine what cause the melt so that it does not happen again to the new wiring harness. Excess heat generated by current flow is the most likely cause. That blue wire runs out to the core support. Look for a pinched wire or a bad turn signal enclosure.
Yes I agree.....plan to take another look today..... hope to figure it out before I leave for Sunday's car show in Ridgely, MD about a 140 miles round-trip.....

Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This car got an oil pressure guage or light and does it work?

Does right front turn and right turn indicator work?

If all works as it should,,,you no longer have a short.

Your pic appears to be where a short happened. Anything close to it that could have rubbed through or pinched it some how?

Melted insulation on the wire should start where the short happened and go back towards the power source.
DK Blue for oil pressure originates at the printed circuit connector. It's not suppose to have enough current to melt a wire with light or guage.
DK Blue for turn originates at the connector for the turn signal switch on column under dash. It does carry enough current to melt wires.

You can probe the bare spot, with a test light, to see if it's right front turn and right indicator or the oil sending unit wire.

Clay

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 10-11-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
This car got an oil pressure guage or light and does it work?

Does right front turn and right turn indicator work?

If all works as it should,,,you no longer have a short.

Your pic appears to be where a short happened. Anything close to it that could have rubbed through or pinched it some how?

Melted insulation on the wire should start where the short happened and go back towards the power source.
DK Blue for oil pressure originates at the printed circuit connector. It's not suppose to have enough current to melt a wire with light or guage.
DK Blue for turn originates at the connector for the turn signal switch on column under dash. It does carry enough current to melt wires.

You can probe the bare spot, with a test light, to see if it's right front turn and right indicator or the oil sending unit wire.

Clay
The car has been converted to gauges.....yes it works, I will follow your suggestion, check it today with a probe to see if its the OP gauge or turn signal.......thx

Old 10-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

looks more like a pinch than a melt to me

better focused picture maybe with your hand behind it ........

Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thelander View Post
looks more like a pinch than a melt to me

better focused picture maybe with your hand behind it ........
That would make me feel better if that was the case........about 10 years ago I remember several wires getting pinched between the column and the bracket.... I found out when first the radio then the car would not shut off....... smh

Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update.....

Hey guys, Quick-Silver....the wire was to the right turn signal! Thx Guys!!!

Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If everything works...I'd tape it up and let it go.

Chalk it up to something that happened in the past and not a current problem.

Clay

Old 10-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Blue wire revisited

Hey guys…. The blue wire I inquired about way back in 2018 has Re-emerged with a Vengeance! One night I noticed my headlights blinking with the right blinker. I figured I had a ground issue or a bad bulb. Took the right park-light apart cleaned the contacts and ground. Light worked for the next day or so. A week later or so I noticed the right blinker making the headlights blink again, pulled over took parking light apart put it back all seemed good… 15 min later I noticed the inferior lights were dim. Pulled off the highway to see no light other than headlights. Checked the fuses… rear-light fuse blown.. changed it pulled off… stepped on brake fuse blew again!

Rode the brake all the way home to have taillights. Checked car out, the lights all worked but blinker -blinked slow on right side took out bulbs one at a time to see if that could be problem… as the blinker faded till I could tell it was on… then smoke appeared from the dash! -I then found that blue wire even more melted, in fact the turn-signal harness melted!

That grounded wire has affected my gauges… Peter Serio fixed a OP gauge for me way back then… with ign on, the needle went down instead of up! Now that I took that blue wire out of the harness the gauge works fine!

I have had the opportunity to check 4 original main harness that seemed to be in great shape… that blue turn-signal wire was melted at some point on each one…..!

Has anyone else run into this problem… does anyone know why?????

Thx