Old 10-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless I missed it, I think the issue is availability, not cost....but I may have missed that.
If l were dying one I would prefer to spray it before installation. That being the case, I would use a test patch and spray it. Let it cure well and just manhandle it ...see what happens.
Here's an idea.. spray the majority of it before installation leaving only the outer perimeter un-dyed. After installation it probably wouldn't be too bad to airbrush the edges.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I'd buy one in a second at this point but Legendary doesn't have the color, Ames doesn't, no one except SMS, and it's not really the price, it's getting shafted on the price and then waiting probably six months or more for it. Not to mention it delays the entire interior and glass installation for months.
This car is as far from rare as you can get, most common color, engine, trans, and options so no one is going to be impressed by my headliner

My outside painting/dyeing weather is very rapidly running out. Ames just told me it would be a six week wait for dark green too. Next option is to see if someone has parchment in stock for quick delivery.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SMS has a great rep for quality but they are developing a reputation for some incredibly long wait times. I'm talking about years.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well ... ended up ordering a dark green headliner, will just have to see how it looks, or if it can be painted to match well enough. Same with package tray.

There appears to be an extreme shortage of ALL things Ivy Gold (Willow Gold, Medium Gold etc). Door jamb windlasses, package trays, headliners, sail panels etc. Plenty of carpet, and they still seem to have the seat upholstery. Luckily SEM doesn't seem to have a shortage of the paint

Old 10-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience is that it covers very well. No issues at all with Turquoise over black console lid and no cracking or peeling with me leaning on it regularly.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the samples from SMS ... yes, it's exactly the right stuff, $375 plus shipping, no ETA mentioned.
Wife thinks it will look cool with a two tone interior Dark green headliner would match the dark green dash pad that comes on 221 code cars.

Might have to give the SMS a miss and correct down the road when things are back to normal, if it really bothers me.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Data- I thought of you yesterday when I searched a local Craigslist “1968 GTO” parts stash I came across. The guy had a ‘68 Chevelle SS 396 that was “Ivy Gold” (inside and out if that was an option?). Anyways it had me thinking about your “Ivy Gold” headliner posting and got me thinking… Were the headliners unified across all the A-body cars (68-72)?

Did some searching and then I uncovered this:
https://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Ch...r/3FI0069-IVGD

Anyways, just thought it might help possibly. Now back to searching pics I took of random parts and trying to decide if they did belong to a GTO for my next trip back. Lol
He was a great guy to talk with and had some great stories. Made for an enjoyable morning. Here was the Chevelle he still has. Beautiful car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B356AEEA-FF29-4D95-88B2-5C14FF6EC741.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	578964   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9A69804-8FCB-4923-92C8-B2C98BB5FF7F.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	578965   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EA9EAE6-384E-4D45-9FD6-8FAE1AD57D7E.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	578966  

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting ... right color, but I think that's a five bow. Mine now has a incorrect color six bow half way installed I got mine in dark green, doesn't look bad at all. Ended up using a dark green liner, sail panels and package shelf ... transition to the Ivy Gold looks almost like something the factory would do. When all the shortages calm down I can change things over if it really bothers me.

Interesting site, I'm sure a lot of that would cross over to a Pontiac A body ... I'm better the Ivy Gold is the same 68 color Pontiac used.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I've been slowly gluing on my headliner it occurred to me that a quality double sided tape folded over the tack strip would probably work as well as the glue. After having the headliner stretched into place for a couple of weeks and working on it slowly I've noticed it almost stays in place by itself from being folded over the sharp edge of the tack strip. One forum member mentioned he didn't even glue his, just used the windlace to hold it in place. Anyway ... I have a feeling the tape would work fine.

But not sure it's something I want to experiment with at this point.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered seat covers from SMS back in March 2020 and that was after they said they had all colors for my tri-tone red 62 cat in stock. Nobody can give me an ETA. Normally I wouldn't care since the car isn't done but I got it running and should be painting in the spring.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.