Old 11-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk lid adjustment

So I took a quick picture of the back of the GTO (didn't even dust it off) to show my Mom the progress and make it look farther along than it really is

When I looked at the photo I noticed this misalignment of the trunk lid. Note that it doesn't have weather strip installed, so that might even it out some. It's low on the left, little high on the right.

What's the cure for this? Grab the lid and twist it? Wait and see what it looks like with the weather strip installed? I can't think of any adjustment on the hinges that would correct this.

Yes, I'm 63 years old and still sending pictures of my GTO to my mother. When I drove away from home in 1976 it was in this car, and I've never been back .. so she feigns interest in it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO-Rear-small.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	576916  

Old 11-05-2021, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't adjust anything until the WS is in and compressed for a few weeks or more. Made a big difference when I adjusted mine.

This is the procedure I used. I think I pulled it off the Chevelle site;

Trunk Alignment

That is an easy one to fix. You'll need a 1/2" socket/ratchet, and a small piece of sheetmetal or two, or even a 1/16" (.0625) shim.

Open the trunk lid, loosen the top bolt that holds the lid to the hinge. You need to loosen this one enough you can get your shim(s) in place under this bolt, between the lid and the hinge. Now, hold the lid in place and slightly loosen the lower bolt, until you get enough clearance to insert a shim or small 1" square piece of sheetmetal between the above mentioned area. Put the shim in, tighten the bolts and slowly close the lid, noting how much lower the front corner of the lid is to the rear filler panel.
If it all clears and lines up, open it, tighten the bolts good and you're all done. If it needs to be lower, add more shims. If it is too low, then you'll have to start trimming the shim narrower until you get it in a good spot that lowers it just right.

The whole side sits low from the top were the trunk lid corner meets the window filler and 1/4 to the lower corner were it meets the tail light panel..
Put a thin shim between the trunk hinge and the trunk lid, at the lower edge where the hinge meets the lid. Won't take too much thickness to change it.

How are you trying to tweak the hinges? These hinges are very easy to tweak.
You need to place a 4x2 between the hinge arm and the bottom of the package try. With the wood in place and the deck lid fully open push upward on the deck lid. The wood blocks the hinge and actually bends it at the curve which is the weak spot and will force the deck lid to lower.

Re-shim (or get the correct shims) only until the deck lid is flush with the quarters at the front edge. Do this after you have put it as far forward as you can and still have an acceptable gap. Then install your latch and adjust before you do anything to the contour.

Mine is pretty close to where I want it. I had to use the 2 x 4 method under the left side where it met the bumper to pull it out and up to match the 1/4 panel and still maintain the gap at the front of the deck lid. I'll probably go back to revisit it when the car is almost done

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, that makes perfect sense, thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of shims. I just need to use one to "aim" the end of the lid higher. Shouldn't take a very thick one to correct this.

Glad you are in CA, I can ask the questions I think of late at night in the shop

Old 11-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How are the rubber bumpers on the deck lid, Good shape? If not try new ones they might help as well

The Following User Says Thank You to n20ta2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a thought .... I'm not sure I put them back in after paint ... need to check that.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the trunk lid bumpers are not doing their job .. mostly because they are in the garbage somewhere instead of installed on the car

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol, I bought an entire bumper kit from I think inline tube. It was cheap and came with even the bumpers for the glove box. It may not completely fix the issue but I would install them and the weatherstripping before trying to adjust the reveals.

The Following User Says Thank You to n20ta2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thought, do these types of raising tweaks only with new or still very pliable weatherstrip otherwise you will lose the seal between the weatherstrip and the lid.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post: