Old 11-21-2021, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not doubting anything the seller said about the car or its previous owner -
but the car is a Very Very Early build from the Arlington Plant
09D = Sept - 4th Week - 1968
BT 00550 Body Number

Just wondering what the car did for 9 months before he bought it
- since he bought it in June 1969

P-o-P might indicate it had some miles on it when he bought it.
or PHS Invoice might would show it was a Zone Inventory car - or perhaps originally a PMD vested employee use vehicle.
But 9 months is a large stretch in either direction.

The hubcaps make it look so much like a LeMans that the Hood doesn't even help it look like a GTO. It just looks LeMans
They still had the 2bbl Economy 400 engine in 1969.
Saving grace that this car didn't come with one of them.

Good Car and Good Colors
Congrats to the New Owner !
Get rid of those wheelcovers ASAP

Old 11-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The deluxe wheelcovers are, in my humble opinion the least desirable of the 4 factory choices:

1...Hard not to like Rally II's, the quintessential Pontiac wheel, the 67-72 design being the best with the beautiful high quality center cap and lugnuts. The main issue is their popularity, they are as common on Pontiacs as black paint on Grand Nationals!

2...Wire wheelcovers use an attractive design and have a quality look to them. They look great on the right personality car but are out of place on a hiperf type car. They must have been popular as they originated in 65 and ran through 72 with no change.

3...Custom wheelcovers are kind of nice, the five spoke design mimics the look of the rally II wheels. The main negative is they protrude out from rim a bit (probably to prevent the tire popping the cap off during a hard turn).

4...Deluxe wheelcovers always looked puny to me, the design isn't bad (six spokes) but the problem is that the leave half an inch of rim showing so it looks like the car has 13" rims, that early "Ford Falcon" go cart wheel look

5...Dogdish isn't my cup of tea but I can understand that it gives the right kind of car that "business" look. If the car is one of the colors that the factory color matched the rims... all the better.

In fairness to the deluxe caps they do look nice when new (seems every set you ever see has faded out centers and deteriorated paint). The set in this picture is as nice a set as I ever found but still has fading in the center caps.

What I do like about them on a GTO is how they telegraph' "I'm an untouched GTO!" to the world. Just like this car their continued presence tells you that this car never got in the hands of car guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-20 017.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	578376  

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:09 PM

Wish I would have kept my Rally 2’s when I got my GTO back in 1978. Like an idiot like I was back then I got rid of them and got a set of Cragar 8 inch deep dish slots in the rear and American 7 inch slots in front. If you don’t have your Rally 2’s anymore I think old school slot mags are the next best thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Pontia...-127632-2357-0

Looks like this car is for sale again.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default For Sale Again

Yep, with an inflated price.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Looks like a fresh "scuff and paint." Full of fish eyes and painted over the dents. Overspray everwhere. The LH quarter was replaced at some point. RH door shell has some rot. Dash is cracked, headliner is split. Rockers and frame rails look good. If it had bucket seats and the sheetmetal and floors were solid I'd make an offer that would give me room to straighten it out. Have to be under $30k.