THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Back in the mid nineties, I was shopping for a performance car and ended up at Elco Chevrolet, which is a dealer that carried lots of late model vettes, but over in the corner a like new cobra mustang caught my eye. It was almost new, very low miles and at a decent price, but when the salesman told me that GM had purchased the car for testing and had taken it apart and re assembled it, I passed on it.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:49 PM

These are the invoices mentioned before. There are 2 slightly different layouts. Maybe it is as Baron was saying. Just a difference between copies 1,2, 3, etc.
The first 2, a 1972 GTO and the 70 that started this post, have a 4 row tally on the lower right and some other differences in the lower rows. The second 2, another 70 GTO conv and a 70 Lemans, have 2 rows of info above the dealer name.
The 72 GTO was the first PHS I ever got.....about 25 years ago. Have no idea why they blacked it all out like an area 51 document.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4052.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	578120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4058.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	578121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4059.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	578122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	578123  

Old 11-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
This is veering off topic, but I used to own a 3 series BMW that had a sticker under the hood that indicated it was originally owned by the Chrysler Corporation, and had been used for some sort of emissions equipment evaluation.
We bought many cars of our competition, we evaluated and dissected some of them. I don't remember any of us putting stickers on any of the cars that were just evaluated and returned.

Last edited by U47; 11-19-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:30 PM
Boost Engineer

No stickers on vehicles we tested or sold "B-Plan" to employees.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The PHS at top of thread has the zone code 24 997. This usually has more than one 'PHS'.
The other PHS' you posted don't have that.

But the one from 1972 Baron would be interested in I'm sure.
(I am anyway)

It is a WW5 GTO!

The blacked out stuff was when it was given out free from Pontiac. They obfuscated the stuff they didn't want shown.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-19-2021, 07:54 PM

Yeah, I figured the 72 would get some attention

Old 11-19-2021, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiguy70 View Post
Build sheet
I always wonder that about my 68 GTO.Built 12/67. didn't go to a dealer, but shipped to engineering. Loaded with just about every available 68 option. Brass hat? Maybe.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiguy70 View Post
Maybe it is as Baron was saying. Just a difference between copies 1,2, 3, etc.

Your 70 GranadaGold would have had a completely different invoice generated for it each time it took another use in a different department.
Starting with the First Invoice right after it was built in Jan 1970.
And dated as such (Jan 1970)
You do not have that one - but it may still be in the archives - You Will Have To Ask Jim Mattison To Look.
That is what i am pointing out.

We (PY Forums) have seen this type instance many times already through the years.
And we always send them back to Jim
Some get lucky - some don't.
Some just have the 1st Invoice left in archive - some just have the Last One.
Some have another one - or two - in between.

The subsequent Invoices would have different dates etc ... and different infos in the lower ledger.
We call these Multi-Invoice cars.
Some cars have had as many as 3 or 4 completely different invoices with different dates / departments / etc ...

Your GranadaGold car is a multi-invoice car
But you only have the last invoice , so far.

Don't let formatting differences of other invoices be a distraction

Quote:
The 72 GTO was the first PHS I ever got.....about 25 years ago. Have no idea why they blacked it all out like an area 51 document.
In the mid-to-late 80's you could get those for free by calling 1-800-PONTIAC on any 1969-Newer Pontiac.
Dealer Pricing and Key Codes were blobbed out

There is a special thread for WW5 cars in the 70-72 section.
Would be great if you could post any known info about that car into that thread.
Not a whole lot of them are still accounted for.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

Were two different ones. First was the broadcast sheet often found on top of the gas tank or in the rear seat and are what is shown here. Second is the billing record shown below. All of this began with Pete McCarthy's SD list but expanded thanks to the efforts of a number of Pontiac employees (John, Fred) who managed to save the records when the corporation was going to dispose of them. That effort later became PHS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billingrecordredsmredact.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	578198  

Old 11-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 62 Catalina that I bought from the original owner. When I bought it the car was still in it's original paint and interior. I searched high and low for the broadcast sheet. In the restoration process of disassembly I thought it was non existent, that is until I took the headliner down. There it was stuck between the headliner bow and the roof!

Old 11-20-2021, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Interesting subject and I think it adds value. I have 2 Pontiacs like that in my collection-
1 This is a '71 GTO 455HO in Canyon Copper with Sienna interior. Have known about this GTO since 1977 and have owned it since 1981. It was my first 12 second car in 1983 and is overly loaded with options, some being- Ram Air, Formula wheel, power seats and power seat latches, map lights, power trunk, windows, locks, posi, 15" ralley IIs, Am/FM st and on and on. With all the comfort options and the top round port engine makes it special. It was the first year a customer could order the top round port engine with a/c too. The build sheet shows it delivered to Az Desert proviing grounds. I remember it with its original windshield, had a Pontiac/GM ID decal on it. I have not driven it since 1987 and have collected NOS parts for it when they were still avail at the dealership in the early 1980s. It will be part of my Pontiac Heaven museum here in Az
2. the second one is a red 1970 GTO Ram Air IV ht. It was not sold new but, delivered ( as per build sheet ) to LA, Ca zone office. 4 speed, wood wheel, 3.90 posi, sport wheel, console, disc brakes, etc. Have known of the car since about 1991 and bought it around 1994. Do not know prior history. It also is waiting to be part of my Pontiac Heaven museum here in Az.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Barcak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

My '08 Solstice GXP window sticker has listed in the - Dealer delivered to - section " General Motors Detroit MI." The person I bought it from purchased it with 2,500 mi. on the odometer. I have wondered if there is any way I can find out what those first miles consisted of.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 11-24-2021, 01:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Probably just street miles back and forth to work at GM over the 6 months the exec had the car. Some shooters lived 15-20 miles from work.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdHank View Post
My '08 Solstice GXP ..... I have wondered if there is any way I can find out what those first miles consisted of.
I agree it was likely in use under the 3month/3,000 mile routine.
Don't know anything about the later model cars - but if they are known to have factory Buildsheets somewhere within them - in the past they have usually indicated the department or the employee the car was tagged for.