Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default old race track in maryland

i got a email from my uncle this morning and he was asking me to find him some info on a old race track in maryland,hes from illinios.he whats to know about santa fe speedwayif im correct it use to be in upper marlboro .i found a web site a while back on all the tracks in maryland but now i cant pull it up,any one can help.thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Is this the one?

Try this link?

http://www.birdseyetourist.com/?cat=131&paged=2

Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never heard of it. I think he is referring to circle track racing. There was Dorsey Speedway located not far from what is now BWI airport (1/2 mile dirt oval). There was also Beltsville Speedway (1/2 mile paved) which is now the site of Capitol Tech College. My father took me to Belstville as a kid. My uncle was responsible for building the college on its site (Dustin Construction). I vaguely remember a circle track in the Upper Marlboro area, but don't recall it being named "Santa Fe". There was a dragstrip not far from there called Aquasco, is that it?

Old 07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
Never heard of it. I think he is referring to circle track racing. There was Dorsey Speedway located not far from what is now BWI airport (1/2 mile dirt oval). There was also Beltsville Speedway (1/2 mile paved) which is now the site of Capitol Tech College. My father took me to Belstville as a kid. My uncle was responsible for building the college on its site (Dustin Construction). I vaguely remember a circle track in the Upper Marlboro area, but don't recall it being named "Santa Fe". There was a dragstrip not far from there called Aquasco, is that it?
Brian,

Was'nt Aquasco in Southern MD.? As I recall from many of racing weekends there, it was located between Waldorf and LaPlata about 20 mile east.

The only track that I have seen where you do your burnouts on the hill before pulling into the staging lights. Great track..I miss it alot!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM

The only Santa Fe Speedway I know of was here in Illinois. It was a located in Hinsdale along the Santa Fe railway. It was a circle track. I think it closed in the late 80's or maybe early 90's. It's now townhomes or custom homes. There might be another somewhere else in the country but this is the only one I know of. Hope this helps.

http://www.up-front.net/santafe.htm

http://santafespeedwaymemories.homestead.com/

Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 PM

The track in Upper Marlboro was called Marlboro raceway in what is now Patuxent Park. It was closed in 1969, from what I recall it was an SCCA or similar track like Summit Point in WV. It is listed in the link posted above by tres03

Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks alot guys ill pass the info to my uncle

Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

confirmed on Marlboro Raceway; it was a real decent road course; trans-am cars ran there, etc.
national track; i had some killer footage, but lost it in a move.
anyone has any, i'd like to get hold of it please.