Old 06-29-2000, 03:30 PM

I have a 1967 GTO, my car has a hood tach. I need a new hood for the car since the original is damaged beyond repair. To install the original hood tach on the new hood, i would have to cut out a hole. I am debating whether or not to install the hood tach. here's where i need some help... I like the way the hood tach looks on the car. My father hates it. He says it ruins the symmetry of the front of the car. I need some opinions on what i should do. Do you guys like 67 gto's with or without hood tachs??
thanks a lot
mike

Old 06-29-2000, 03:30 PM

I have a 1967 GTO, my car has a hood tach. I need a new hood for the car since the original is damaged beyond repair. To install the original hood tach on the new hood, i would have to cut out a hole. I am debating whether or not to install the hood tach. here's where i need some help... I like the way the hood tach looks on the car. My father hates it. He says it ruins the symmetry of the front of the car. I need some opinions on what i should do. Do you guys like 67 gto's with or without hood tachs??
thanks a lot
mike

Old 06-29-2000, 05:27 PM
Senior Chief

Mike,
How close a relationship do you now have with your father?
Bob

Old 06-29-2000, 05:40 PM

HAHAHA... A pretty close relationship. I like the hood tachs myself, i was just wondering if anybody else felt the way my father does.thanks for your reply
mike

Old 06-29-2000, 07:21 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

It is always best to keep the car original if possible.

Old 06-29-2000, 07:50 PM

Oh I know....I intend on keeping the car original. It's undergoing restoration right now. It is a 1967 GTO, documented Royal Bobcat, original ram air automatic (PHS DOcumented) It doesnt have too many options. The most interesting thing about it is that it has rally gauges, but not the usual kind. it has a hood tach, so it has gas gauge,speedo,water & oil gauge and a rally clock. It's tyrol blue with a black vinyl top.

Old 06-30-2000, 11:17 AM

I have a '67 GTO. Most that I've seen don't have the hood tach. I get your father's thinking, but for the sake of originality, I'd put the hood tach on the car.

I don't have rally gauges, but the previous owner of the car (or possibly the dealer, I'm not sure) installed (from what I can tell) a "big car" tach in the space for the clock. I'm the second owner, and I've owned the car since 1981.

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time was a damned fool". Vincent K. McMahon

Old 06-30-2000, 06:50 PM

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 06-30-2000, 09:23 PM

Wow... Thanks for the info, I didn't realize they were THAT rare. How much do you think that this option would add to the car? How much extra does ram air add to the car? I appreciate your help. Thanks!!!
Mike

Old 07-05-2000, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bobcat,

Who's car is it? Yours or your dads? I would go with what you like. The 67 GTO looks great either way. Personaly I don't care much about originality or the "value" of the car. I play with pontiacs because it's fun. So I do what's the most fun for me within my available cash flow. When I want to invest I go to the stock market.

Tim Corcoran

Old 07-05-2000, 06:51 PM

But, Tim, if you've got something very rare and maybe somewhat valuable, would you throw it away, just cause you wanted something different or personally didn't care for it? That's like buying a Picasso, pulling the canvas out and throwing it away because you want to put a velvet picture of Elvis in the frame. Even though I might not appreciate something, I can't believe I'd "trash" it. Recently had a guy stop by to show me his '66. It was a well optioned car. He told me that he was going to get rid of the piece of tin hanging off the underside of his dash. I checked it and found that it was the dealer installed 4-way fasher (first available in '66). Convinced him to keep it.

Ed

Old 07-06-2000, 12:29 AM

Bobcat;
I agree with Ed, a documented Bobcat..WOW! Was it bobcated at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac on Woodward Ave? Those cars from what I have read are legendary. I would keep it original if you can.
Anyone know how many 67's were Bobcatted? I read some were upgraded from a 400 ci, to a 428ci. What engine is under your hood?
Well Good Luck with your decision, and your restoration. The 67 GTO's has always been my favorite. See Ya.....Larry

------------------
Cruise On

Old 07-06-2000, 01:48 PM

Yes, My car was Bobcatted at Ace Wilsons Royal Pontiac In 1967. I was fortunate enought to have located the original owner, to talk to him about my car. I almost died when he told me he had the car bobcatted shortly after he bought it. The car was bought in South Carolina. He said he drove it up there to have the work done. He sent me all the original paperwork for my car, along with the reciepts from Royal. My car retains it's original 400. They did transplant 428's in some.

Old 08-09-2000, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I have to go along with most of the opinions here and say to keep it original since its a documented RA Royal Bocatted car. If it were a plane-jane 335 hp GTO without any history to speak of then so what. I'm not real big into originality either unless its certain rarer cars we're talking about then I think it pays to preserve them.

Old 08-23-2000, 12:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vaccaraj

i have a '67 with the hood tach.(the tall one of course) i've always liked it. just a glance down and you see where your engine is at. i live in tonawanda new york. a suburb of buffalo. its a big town with a lot of hot cars, and quite a few gto's. mine is the only gto i've seen around here that has the hood tach. that gets as much attention as the cars itself. i just had an old lady tell me i had a beautiful car but what was that bump on the hood. i told her and she said that it was neat. what a cool old lady.
i think the car looks real tough with it too.
tony

Old 12-18-2000, 03:37 PM

Thanks Guys! Are there any real Royal experts out there? I have many questions about restoring this car properly. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM

You may want to contact Colin at Colinsclassicauto.com . You should see the GTO's that he owns, WOW...

Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i own 2 67 gtos.i have one that completely stock since its all oringal numbers matching car,since my mom bought it new in 3-67.my other 67 gto is a car i owned back in the 90s,the guy i bought it from said it was all oringal.after pullin the phs on relized it want the correct trans,suppose to b a 4 speed.it was auto.so i decided to make it the way i wanted,so i installed a hood tach since ive always liked the way it looked.i love the way the 67 looks with the hood tach.it just makes the car different

Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67BobcatGTO
Oh I know....I intend on keeping the car original. It's undergoing restoration right now. It is a 1967 GTO, documented Royal Bobcat, original ram air automatic (PHS DOcumented) It doesnt have too many options. The most interesting thing about it is that it has rally gauges, but not the usual kind. it has a hood tach, so it has gas gauge,speedo,water & oil gauge and a rally clock. It's tyrol blue with a black vinyl top.
What is the build date of your GTO? After April or May, the Rally Guage package installed in conjunction with the Hood-mounted Tachometer received a clock in the spot where the in-dash tach usually went. EDIT: The clock went into the far right hand pod, and the coolant temp./oil press. gauge moved left one space into the pod next to the speedo.This is a fairly rare rally package. I know of only about a half dozen or so that have surfaced in the last twenty years.

Keep the hood tach and the rally guage package!!!

Last edited by gtoric; 02-01-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would concours restore that bad boy if you can...it is worth bank. Would be more exclusive as a 4-spd, but a very rare car nonetheless. Congrats!

Keep it original!

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods