Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-03-2000, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone else have a problem with windage trays cracking? Just about everytime I pull the oilpan off it has a few places where it has cracks. I replace it with another one and the next time it is cracked again. What causes this? How do you keep it from happening? Are there any advantages or diadvantages of not running one? I've heard of people running without one. They run a deep pan and run a quart low on oil. Anyone tried this?

------------------
PROBRD
(probrd1@aol.com)

Old 03-03-2000, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone else have a problem with windage trays cracking? Just about everytime I pull the oilpan off it has a few places where it has cracks. I replace it with another one and the next time it is cracked again. What causes this? How do you keep it from happening? Are there any advantages or diadvantages of not running one? I've heard of people running without one. They run a deep pan and run a quart low on oil. Anyone tried this?

------------------
PROBRD
(probrd1@aol.com)

Old 03-03-2000, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen this a couple of times. A friend of mine lost a piston and a set of bearings this way. The tray came apart and pieces went everywhere. This was a full windage tray. I now weld straps to each of the stress points, and I weld bars under the attaching bolts. I am more comfortable with the tray than without it. Why does it do this? I am not sure. It might be the engine harmonics, or it could be forces from the oil whipping around. I really don’t know, but the cracking is not that rare.

------------------
Jim

Old 03-04-2000, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine have cracked as well. Welding and bracing are the only solution. Sorta suggests we could use a good aftermarket windage tray, huh. One that works with the 400, 428 and 455. One that accepts a dipstick. Teflon coated maybe, with lots of drain holes. Must be a dozen available for that corporate motor.

Old 03-04-2000, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom Wihite at one of the Pontiac Southern Natls mentioned he saw it more with his launching on the rev limiter and maybe the stutter and harmonics from it. I've heard more about the full length ones doing this than the 3/4 tray also.

Bought a Moroso when they first came out, only fits 2 bolt mains unless notched and no dipstick tube provision. (need to trial fit my "fix" two holes where the standard non tray tube bolts to main cap to access bolts and a slot to slide that part of the tube through the tray.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-04-2000, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the shorter tray is actually a little bit thicker. The cracks in the ones I am aware of were in stick shift cars, no trans brake.

------------------
Jim

Old 03-05-2000, 11:16 PM

Does anyone think powder coating the windage tray may help stregthin it?
roger

Old 03-06-2000, 01:17 AM

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 03-06-2000, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken Brewer at Pacific Performance has worked with Milodon to develop an aftermarket tray. I have seen it and it is of a heavier gage that will not crack.

However, it does not have a provision for a dip stick tube. It can be modified to use one.

Ken has them in stock at 310-832-4596

------------------
www.PontiacDragDays.com
Dave "Big Injun" Anderson

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 03-06-2000, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Milidon pan is not made to bolt to the main caps like the factory unit. It bolts like the aftermarket chevy types, off the mains studs with threaded top section and nuts top & bottom of the tray. They use the Cheby main stud kit. Nice looking pan but requires work & money. Later.

Old 03-06-2000, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Just my opinion, but I feel windage tray cracking must be related to vibrational effects in the bottom end. Cracking in a thin member of this nature is a result of metal fatigue and the metal of a windage tray has no forces exterted on it (to fatigue it) except thru harmonics and vibration. A full length tray has more material to form a lever arm to work against the stress points with, which might explain why they are more likely to have cracking. I suspect any bottom end which is completely balanced will have less of a problem than stock assemblies. I've never cracked one, but I've ran an aftermarket assembly for the last 8 years which is attached into the pan and not to the bottom of the caps (it's also thicker than a stock unit). Precision balancing, thickening the stress points and/or possible heavier aftermarket units is the answer here. Not an item you want to come apart and mingle with the rods at any rpm. Any other thoughts on this? TM

Old 03-06-2000, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a tray come apart in my old motor
(I hate using the past tense term). I have a factory tray(long)mounted on studs with rubber washers allowing the tray to "give" a little. It never cracked. Many larger race engine friends of mine just do not use the tray. I have heard the trays cracking mostly with higher lift roller cam engines. I have to agree with TM - yet the oil pounding therory may play into the effect. High speed oil pounding the tray could cause vibration or a rocking effect. The factory designed these trays for max RPM's around 5800 - my engine has seen 7000 many times. If I'm not mistaken - the long trays were only on the 400's and the shorter trays on the 428 and 455's. I think the short trays are thicker as well. I sell a lower dip stick tube that has a bracket welded to it for cars not using a windage tray. It mounts to the main cap - not sure if the Milodon pan will allow this to be used. I applaud Milodon and Ken as well for the continuing parts being introduced.

[This message has been edited by Paul Spotts (edited 03-06-2000).]

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 03-06-2000, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt, were did you get your pan rail mount windage tray? Is this your own concoction, a one-off of a cheby design, or does/did someone offer this?

------------------
10.854@123.44
6.947@100.65

brooksa@gte.net

Old 03-07-2000, 01:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I remember right Warrior racing had one called a Ray Tray. I'm not positive because I can't find my old catalogue. Has anyone used one of these? I may give them a call to see what they have. Paul, do you run with or without one?
Thanks for all of the input guys!

------------------
PROBRD
(probrd1@aol.com)

Old 03-07-2000, 06:36 PM

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 03-07-2000, 10:37 PM

on stockers, were exactly have you guy's ( old man and tom)added peices of metal for stregth? i am using the stock one on a 400
roger

Old 03-08-2000, 12:25 AM
Senior Chief

Warped, it is the Canton pan in Warriors catalog that has the full side kickout. I've been pretty pleased with it's oil management capabilities, I just wish it fit when they sent it to me. Then I really wish it fit when they sent it back to me the second time. At that point I took a torch and modified it to fit. Then it fit! Come by and I will show it to you, I'm getting ready to dis-assemble. TM

Old 03-08-2000, 12:33 AM
Senior Chief

As an addendum to this line of thinking. There are a few aftermarket manufacturers that you can just purchase a generic tray from. You can then weld tabs into your oil pan for it to mount to and avoid having it connected to the bottom of the caps at all. In the interest of fair reporting Jim H. pitched his view to me of the oil pressure coming off the crank as a possible factor in the cracking. If this does have some effect it would have to be (IMHO) because the fluid is causing the thin material of the tray to "flutter" and fatiguing the metal....at some point resulting in cracks. Thicker material at the mounting points would combat this.

Old 03-08-2000, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

Guys,
I am sorry about the new windage trays not fitting 455's. And the dipstick hole? We just use a inner dipstick tube from a normal windage tray motors. And tack it to the block after the tray has been installed.
We are in the process of building a KILLER oil pan for our pontiacs! It will have a windage tray AND a crankscraper AND trap doors! Just for drag racing!! These pans are being CUSTOM made to my specs! Any suggestions?
Be Cool,

------------------
ACE-P.P.R.

Old 03-08-2000, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ace,
Only suggestion I might have is to have a version of this pan that will work with the new belt drive from BOP. Looking forward to seeing these new pieces. What pan capacity are you considering?