THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just keep trying...Works for me.

At 46 I feel I can do anything I decide I want to do, just depends on how long it takes. But never say "can't" under any circumstance.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My father's words of wisdom:

Live long enough to become a burden to your children!

Go out and spend their inheritance.

Growing older is mandetory, growing UP is optional.

I'm 56. I waited until my youngest was 18, then started the business I always wanted. An engine shop. Not a "wannabe", since I always did this kind of work, just not for myself. Does it pay well? No. Is it stressful? Yes. Is it worth it? HELL YES! Not many things more satisfying in life than being good at what one does, and realizing it! If you "have a dream", get after it! No time like the present!

Good luck.

Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

John,

Don't give up lifting - you can keep getting stronger for many years yet. I didn't start lifting hard 'till I was 43. I had been going to a local gym for years for my back and just kept doing the same weight/reps over & over. I got to know a couple powerlifters there who were a good bit younger than me. I challenged them to see if their routine would make me stronger. I was 6'3", 190 lbs. (not exactly strongman material) and 42 yrs. old., but it worked. My bench went from 210 to 350 in just over a year. I wanted to hit 400 and would have but a shoulder injury stopped me at 350. Point is, you can keep gaining. I'll be 57 on Sunday and still hit the weights but not real hard.

BTW, when I turned 50 I decided to check another item off the bucket list and started building the drag car in my sig. Wanted one years ago but never got to it. I'm not sure what I'll get into at 60 but something will come along.

Mark O.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
John,

Don't give up lifting - you can keep getting stronger for many years yet. I didn't start lifting hard 'till I was 43. I had been going to a local gym for years for my back and just kept doing the same weight/reps over & over. I got to know a couple powerlifters there who were a good bit younger than me. I challenged them to see if their routine would make me stronger. I was 6'3", 190 lbs. (not exactly strongman material) and 42 yrs. old., but it worked. My bench went from 210 to 350 in just over a year. I wanted to hit 400 and would have but a shoulder injury stopped me at 350. Point is, you can keep gaining. I'll be 57 on Sunday and still hit the weights but not real hard.

BTW, when I turned 50 I decided to check another item off the bucket list and started building the drag car in my sig. Wanted one years ago but never got to it. I'm not sure what I'll get into at 60 but something will come along.

Mark O.
Thats Killer! I was trying to push my bench up did 335lbs, and was doing drop sets 135 x 10, 225x8 ,275 x6 and 315x2 then add weight and do one rep till fail but my elbow starting to kill me! I started taking fish oil,and Animal Flex and and lifting with a elbow brace. It took about 6mos but it feels 98% better and have lifted with out a brace the last 2 workouts and did 325lbs with out pain. I have been working on my pull ups with added weight. I lost a few inches in my waist and added a bit to arms and legs. still lots of work to do...

Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

I just took on two more Firebirds to do...to put back on the road (I actually get them done, always have, no sitting around dreaming) and I just built a new shop to do it in. I'm hoping my young sons will take an interest, seems they are taught to become tree huggers in school now days.
More future goals...?
I want to do more travelling.
I want another Stingray convert....a '69 427 will do.
I would like a '69 GTO convert at some point, triple BLK.
Exploring taking on a little side home business as well.

Last edited by PONTIAC-ONE; 12-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple of goals for me. At 44, I became the father of a son. My goal is to continue working out/staying in shape so when he gets older I can still be playing sports at a somewhat competitive level with him. I can't dunk a basketball anymore, but can still hang with the younger guys. Considering I'll be 60 when he's 16 and dunking over me, figure that's a decent goal.

My other goal was to build a nice drag car. After going through a sh!tty divorce at 40 and losing a lot, decided to stop being my normal conservative self and started building a car. Should be out next spring and running in the 8's. Hope my son in the future is in to this so he can take over the wheel down the road.

To a lot of the guys comments on here, you never have to grow up. I'm more active than most of the younger guys that hang out at my place and I refuse to stop having fun. Life's for living.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 PM

My goal in life is not to preserve my body so that I can lie down in a coffin and look good as they spread dirt on me. My goal is to live life to the fullest and in the end come skidding up to the grave, rough and ragged, screaming "Man, what a ride!"

This is well said. Age is just another number. some days I feel 20 and somedays I feel 90. @ 44 I'm not terrible yet.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everytime I act like a kid I feel like I am sixty. Retired after 40+ years and work harder now. No scheduled breaks-lunch hrs. etc. Age is just a number. Stay up real late now, but get up later also. Race my pontiac in nostalgia super stock and vintage snowmobiles in winter. Not to many days go by that I don't think I am kinda lucky to do what I do.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 PM

I didn't grow up till I turned 40. You are ahead of the game if you you want to get your goals and priorities in order. Take care of your health and your family and enjoy each day as it comes. The rest will take care of itself.

2004 GTO
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default That Won't Work

"I am a numbers kinda guy...I need to see improvement!"

At a certain point you're going to realize that doesn't work. Sure, continuous improvement is a great thing. I lived my live by it. Started as a traffic clerk with a huge (now) tire company and continuously set larger/greater goals for myself. After 13 years I became their General Traffic Mgr. Set higher goals and found another company that I could move up even higher. Went from Director of Transportation to Director of Logistics Ops to VP of Logistics. All that with just an AAS degree and a lot of cajones.

So then you're 63 and you realize you've got a couple of pensions and Soc Sec coming up but after two company buy-outs your OK financially but not the honcho anymore. Your kids are grown and doing fine on their own. But here's the biggest rub - your sphere of influence is down to NOTHING. You don't have a $125MM budget, 130 or so people under you anymore...........and no more status..........etc. etc.

So you've got to recognize that you did very well for yourself. Your "run" can not continue for ever. For about a year of your life you continually wondered if you'd even make 21........... many around you did not. You were driven and lived your life for them.

I have NEVER and will NEVER wonder when it's my time. I learned over 40 years ago that you can never figure that out or do a damned thing to change fate. Sure do all the workouts, take care of yourself - that's the smart thing to do. But don't think it has very much to do with how long you're above ground - "life" just doesn't work like that.

My suggestion to you is to lose your ego - it comes hard. It aint what you accumulate or what you achieve in the end. It's all about peace of mind.............

FWIW

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mrtonegto, that last sentence of yours says it all. Amen.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on my own past two years (42 now) since turning 40 and losing my vision etc. I'd pull the plug if there was one. I wouldn't wish this crap on anyone, not even Obama and that is saying something. I'm just about at the end of my rope. Let's all hope 2011 is a better year although I have zero hope that things will change...

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Well said, learning to be humble is a great quality and a sign of maturity and I work on it daily. Also work on growing my faith too and serving. Read and/or listen to scripture daily. Do a lot of volunteer work now that I never had time to before, things like childrens Bible camp for a week and i do not have kids.

I am not an expert but, do read a lot including health related. In my early 2Os starting watching my diet. Learned about salt/sodium, fat, etc. never smoked or abused alky, Have a 32/33 waist.
Some advice, take it or leave it but, I have good intentions.

I do lift weights but, not to any extreme. It does feel good when your muscles ache a bit. Also enjoy using a trampoline, snowboarding, looking forward to wake boarding agian too. Using a trampoline is a great way to get your heart beat up in short order. Very effient way to exercise and fun too.
Lower your fat and salt intake. There was a group email awhile back about bacon. Hey, it is bad stuff. I eat it once in a while and enjoy it when I do but, eat it rarely, 2 to 3 times year. There is a lot of good food out there that is good for you too. If you are single like I am and eat out a lot, you cannot beat subway. They even offer a higer fiber bread called honey oat. Select a lower fat meat, not processed fatty meats like salomi etc. Turkey, tuna, lean steak, chicken, etc. Of course, you have to order the correct sandwich and put the right stuff on it. No mayo or oil or salt. I have a half order of cheese on it so I still get some flavor but, half the fat. No lettuce, it is worthless. replace lettuce with spinach. It is very good for you and it is otherwise hard to get fresh, raw spinach otherwise in your diet. Pile on the bell peppers, the onions, tomatos and cucumbers. That is a heck of a healthy and filling sandwich for $5. I eat there at least 5 times a week.
Not to sound gross but, when your excrement start turning from brown to green you know you are doing something right and your colon will appreciate it too.
Take some supplements. I have taken several grams of vit C each day for decades, also E and beta carotene. These 3 powerful antioxidents have a synergestic effect when combined. It supercharges your food. Take with each meal if possible. Always have vit C in my pocket and console. Take it with a milk shake or hamburger or taco or whatever.

I love ice cream and it is my weakness. dairy products are full of fat and sodium so I cut down on my cheese and milk so can I eat ice cream and a good milk shake once in awhile. Also have not drank whole milk in decades, always use low fat skim.
Breakfast? hard to beat whole oat oatmeal. There is also high fiber oatmeal out there, I mix in some raisons too instead of using the real sweet, candy style oatmeal. There are also real good tasting cereals too with lots of fiber, check the boxes and compare.
Look at all food boxes and packaging. monitor fiber, soium and fat. There may be a similiar product you like as much with much more fiber and or much less fat and sodium. That is the stuff to buy and eat. Even TV type dinners can be 'supercharged' if you buy fresh or frozen vegis and add them to your tv dinner while you microwave it.
Avoid deep frying and bbqs. They are the least healthiest wasy to prepare food. You can still eat it and enjoy it but, be aware of what you put in your mouth and minimize it. Eat grilled, microwaved, baked and steamed foods when possible.
These are just some thoughts to pass along that have helped me. Always looking for a better way to to something whether it is mechanical or diet related.
Also be sure you get enough rest. I am usually a very productive person but, once in a awhile there is nothing wrong with goofing off for a day or half day. Even the Lord rested on day 7 and advises it to us.

Find time to read and not be disturbed. It is very relaxing and can be productive too.

Best of health and wellness to all.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 12-03-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have no clue... still have 5 years to go before I even think about after 40...

Maybe Rob B has some advice. He's beginning to realize that glasses are in his immediate future.

DONE 11.738 @ 114 mph

See my thread in Best Pontiac Stories
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=598985

Mrs. Rob B as of 9/25/2010

THE BEAR KILLER
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustie View Post

4 years and 9 days....5 my arse!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My advice? Don't worry about it. That alone can kill ya.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Heck, I'm 45 and having my first kid Monday!! Need a hip replacement (bone on bone) ,right now just wondering if i'll be able to bend over far enough to get my son out of his crib. Just keeping a positive attitude, wondering what kind of adjustments to expect!!

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Figure out what you really want to do and then do it! As we all know, your time here is limited and there are no guarantees-so enjoy your time. While genetics plays a big part on how long you will be here believe me they are NOT the only part or the equation! My wife took good care of herself and had "good" genetics. She made it to 56! That was a real wake up call for me!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustie View Post

Maybe Rob B has some advice. He's beginning to realize that glasses are in his immediate future.
Better watch out Rustie. He may realize who he married if he can see!

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I'll be 49 in May, and honestly didn't feel or show the age until the last couple of years.
My biggest issue is I'm still feeling the PTSS effects from the hurricane.

My advise would be to do what you enjoy, love those around you and live everyday the way you want to.

On the weight lifting, I'd start working more on tone, and cut down on bulk. Your skin will rebound now, but if you do it later you'll have excess.