Old 09-23-2002, 03:57 PM

Hello!

I have a 1977 Trans Am that has a 1973 350 Pontiac engine, the block decoded back to being produced October 15, 1973 (thinking it was probably produced for the 1974 production year)
Anyway, I had installed a 750 Carter AFB carburetor, afterwards I'd noticed that the secondaries were hitting the intake and wouldn't fully open, so a buddy of mine had modified it by grinding away a small amount of the material to allow for the secondaries to fully open. WOW!!! What a difference that made!
The main problem I'm faced with now is just trying to figure out which vacuum lines go to where etc. If anyone can help me out here, I would surely appreciate it. Please let me know.

Thanks a million!!!
Robin L. Buddi

Damn, I've cut it twice, ...and it's still too short!!!

Old 09-23-2002, 03:57 PM

Hello!

I have a 1977 Trans Am that has a 1973 350 Pontiac engine, the block decoded back to being produced October 15, 1973 (thinking it was probably produced for the 1974 production year)
Anyway, I had installed a 750 Carter AFB carburetor, afterwards I'd noticed that the secondaries were hitting the intake and wouldn't fully open, so a buddy of mine had modified it by grinding away a small amount of the material to allow for the secondaries to fully open. WOW!!! What a difference that made!
The main problem I'm faced with now is just trying to figure out which vacuum lines go to where etc. If anyone can help me out here, I would surely appreciate it. Please let me know.

Thanks a million!!!
Robin L. Buddi

Old 09-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well there are only a few lines that you really need to use depending on what you would like to do. one line being the big line for your pcv valve if you are using one, then another from your carb to your distributor, which you may want to run ported or unported vac. me personally i would run ported vac. Then there is the big hose in the back of the carb for Qjet users that goes from carb to Brake booster if ya got pwr brakes.
Ok so here is what ya need to do. 1st find the big nipple stickin outa yer carb in the frount, this is for your pcv valve if your running one if not well plug it off but remember to vent the crank case with a set of breathers in the valve covers. Next thing is to get that Vac. going to the Distributor. find one of the little nipples coming off the frount or rear of the carb. now start the car and see if it has vac. if it doesnt have vac. accelerate a little bit till you feel vac. if you got vac Good hook it to Distributor and Vac advance. thats the shiny thing on the side fo the distributor [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Now there outa be a big hole in the back of the carb that is probably threaded and has a steel piece of pipe coming outa it with a rubber hose on it. Hook that hose to the Brake Booster and Voila that is it in a nut shell. plug all the remaining lines unless you have some other vac. operated crap and in that case hook em up and see what works best.
If ya got questions email me
Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2002, 08:07 PM

LouisianaGuy,

Thanks a lot for your helpfull response to my posted questions, I really do appreciate the much needed help.
Just was wondering, if I were to e-mail you a detailed digital picture of the carb and intake, that clearly shows the vacuum ports and lines in question, would you be able to further assist me. Just so we're not comparing apples to oranges etc. Please let me know.

Thanks again!!!
Robin L. Buddi

Old 09-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shure man you can do that or you can email me and ill give ya my phone # and ill talk you through it best i can [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mike

Old 09-29-2002, 08:01 PM

sorry 'bout the delayed reply, but I will e-mail a picture or two to check out.

Thank You for the help!!!

Robin