Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2021, 10:41 PM

Default Sudden Coolant Leak

Good evening, Guys.

My first post on this forum - great to be here!

I have a ‘79 Y84 W72 WS6 4 speed car - recent pic, attached. Had it for about a year. Did a full interior restoration, all new date coded glass, plus resto of the whole front end. Had the right side up in the air to change the oil and filter. Stated it to check for leaks. Made a funny knock.

Put the car down. Knock stopped. No oil leaks, but all the sudden a water leak appeared at the back end of the water pump where it joins the engine block, with some pooling on the front side of the valley pan. Engine warmed up and it stopped leaking. But then when I shut the engine off, under the car, a light rain of coolant - not heavy or steady stream, just big drops.

Did I fry the water pump or perhaps break a gasket(s) seal? Thoughts? Kindly advise.

Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47FF068D-CDA8-4B34-AC77-87AF3F87947F.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	567324