Old 07-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Is there anybody out there who can tell me about the sensor that fits into the passenger side cylinder head on a 74 TA. It fits in the same hole as the temp sensor on the left head, but this one is in the right head. There is one blue wire that goes to it. I believe that it is called the thermal override sensor. I'm missing mine and can't seem to find a part number for it. I'm not sure if they are still available or not, but I need one for my restoration. I was told that a regular temp sending unit won't work. If anyone can find me a part number or knows where I can get one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Schneid

Old 07-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Is there anybody out there who can tell me about the sensor that fits into the passenger side cylinder head on a 74 TA. It fits in the same hole as the temp sensor on the left head, but this one is in the right head. There is one blue wire that goes to it. I believe that it is called the thermal override sensor. I'm missing mine and can't seem to find a part number for it. I'm not sure if they are still available or not, but I need one for my restoration. I was told that a regular temp sending unit won't work. If anyone can find me a part number or knows where I can get one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Schneid

Old 07-20-2002, 03:58 PM

Me too!

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 07-20-2002, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Information I have shows Group 2.408, Hot Coolant Switch, Part Number 6490898.

Old 07-23-2002, 01:10 AM
Senior Chief

I called the local GM dealer today and gave him the 6490898 number, he put it in the computer, and it came back as a bad number. However, I did happen to see on ebay, a "engine thermo and dist. switch" with a part number of 6490440. I had also called Ames, asking for a part number for it. The guy told me that he'd have to do a little research. He called back today and said that 6490440 is the part #, and it is called an engine thermo and distributor timing (?) switch. Anyway, its the same part that on ebay. I called the local GM dealer and gave him the 0440 number, and he said that he could still get it. The superceding number is 25036512 and the Delco number is D1879. For Pontiacs, it is correct for all V8s 73-74. It was also used on a few other GM cars around that time also. There you go, Ross!

Schneid