SOLD Pontiacs The cars in here have already been sold. The topics will be kept for a few months for referance.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1974 Blue on Red 455 TA - one of a kind

I decided to sell the Trans Am (but keeping my Lemans vert!)

I recently took a retirement package, given a choice between that or moving to NJ or to Switzerland (yes, Switzerland). Its not a huge financial problem for us, but it happened a little sooner than I expected. So I am doing some car collection reorganizing. I am offering the Trans Am to fellow PY'ers and TAC'ers before listing it locally or in Hemmings. I am not really desperate, but it needs to go and I figure that a real Pontiac guy might want to give it a good home.

This is the TA featured in the May 2010 issue of High Performance Pontiac Magazine, the only 74 admiralty blue Trans Am with a factory red interior known to exist.

Link to HPP magazine article on-line

I've been hanging out on the PY board a long time and the TA has been discussed in various threads. I was not at all disappointed in the "look" when I bought it a couple of years ago. The car is really beautiful and the color combo is striking. But I admit I was not all that happy with some mechanical/electrical aspects. The good news is that all of the issues have been resolved. Everything now works properly, the car runs great and it is 100% reliable. It is not a race car, and I've never done a real burnout with it, but here is a little video showing a nice street launch and drive-by.

1974 455 Trans Am FOR SALE - launch demo video

Here is a draft of an ad I am working on for a Hemmings listing. I still need to detail the car, do a real photo shoot and a walk-around video. So it will probably be some weeks before I am ready to submit it. But I am attaching some recent pics to the post here.
VIN #: 2V87Y4N140385
Trans: Auto
Condition: Very Good
Exterior: Admiralty Blue
Interior: Red

The 455 Trans Am was king of the streets in 1974 since all other manufacturers except Pontiac had discontinued big-cube engines by then, even for performance cars. 1974 was also the last year for true dual exhaust without a catalytic converter, the last year for the heavy-duty TH400 transmission, the last year for a 3.08 rear gear, and in 1975 the engines were further de-tuned in order to meet the new stricter emission standards. So the 1974 455 Trans Am was the last of the real "bad boys". Only 4,648 Trans Ams with L75 455 engines were produced in 1974. The rare (and now very expensive) Super Duty version may have been at the top in 1974 but the L75 455 Trans Am was right behind it.

This restored numbers-matching L75 455 car truly is one-of-a-kind. It is the only admiralty blue 1974 Trans Am with a factory red interior that is known to exist. The car was featured on the cover of the May 2010 issue of High Performance Pontiac magazine with a full-spread article documenting just how unusual and rare the combination is. The paint and exterior trim are beautiful, the stance is perfect, and the interior is nicely restored. My motto is "the best way to show a car is to drive it", but even without show detailing it has been a consistent top 20 winner in the few car shows that I have attended.

The original 455 has been rebuilt with internal power upgrades but appearance under the hood remains stock. The shaker assembly is complete with a functional intake door, the factory intake wears the correct 1974 Q-jet carb which was professionally built by Cliff Ruggles, and a new exhaust system featuring RA manifolds, mandrel-bent X-pipe and performance crossflow muffler was recently installed. It sounds great and ground clearance is very good with this system. The rebuilt TH400 transmission is original to the car and the original rear end was rebuilt with a fresh posi, retaining the 3.08 gear ratio. The combination is perfect for both burning rubber and for cruising down the interstate. The car is a beast and a real head-turner, but it can be driven anywhere - just hop in and go.
A copy of the magazine that features the car and a binder with historical photos, original documents and receipts are included. I am a long-time Pontiac motorhead and have several Pontiac restorations under my belt. While I only owned the car a couple of years I spent some time and money on it to make it "right", and everything works as it should including the factory A/C. I drive the Trans Am regularly and put 1500 miles on the car during the past two years. I am happy to answer any questions and to provide additional pictures, and will entertain any serious offer.

Price: $32,000 negotiable
Send me a PM if interested. The Hemmings ad is intentionally a bit generic and I would enjoy discussing the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599 (800x600).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	432837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493 (800x600) (2).jpg
Views:	306
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	432838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496 (800x580) (2).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	432839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533 (800x533).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	432840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1543 (600x800).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	432841  

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

very nice car, I looked at a 74 SD in the same color combo in NH, car had a NOM 74 D port motor and was in good overall restorable shape we just could not get together on price and I already had a red one. Mark

71 GT-37:usa2
71 T/A WHT AUTO
71 T/A LB 4SPD
72 T/A WHT 4spd
74 SD T/A Admiralty Blue Auto
others that reside in the barn too
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Mark. I don't think there really is any way to tell how many in this color combo came out of the factory but if you saw another that's the first I've heard of. Mine went for sale at Mecum a few years ago and the description says "believed to be 1 of only 2 with this color combination. Who knows? But if you do an internet search pics and references to this car show up all over the place, but no others with the red interior.

The history and color combo make it hard to set a price for this car. But trust me I am not going to make money on it even at my asking price. It needed a lot of Pontiac-knowledgeable TLC to get it running as good as it looks. I actually had fun working out the kinks but was not planning on having to put that much cash into it. Oh well, that's the car hobby.
Walt

Last edited by PontGuy; 07-16-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 PM

Very nice Trans am, I've always liked it. The color combo is striking.
In early 2000's there was a 74 SD 455 for sale in N. Texas, blue with all red int. According to original owner. I never got a chance to see or buy it, some collector from Florida beat me to it.
That's the only other one with that color combo that I can recall.
Good luck with the sale

Old 07-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I owned the blue sd from nh with the red interior. Sold it to a local buddy about 4 years ago. A moment of weakness I regret. I've heard of the blue with red interior 4 speed super duty that's owned by a collector in Oklahoma. Nice car and good luck with the sale. I think it's a great color combo

Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, confirmed ownership of another blue/red 74- first time I've heard that since I bought mine. And rumors of two more. All SD's though?

Regardless, even if my TA is one of two/three existing with the color combo it doesn't change the rarity factor by much. It is a stunning scheme that really "pops" and sets the car apart.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to continue discussion, I mentioned that I was not very happy with some of the mechanical/electrical aspects when I got the car. The engine checked out to be sound with very few miles on the build, but the devil was in the details. In addition to general debugging and some Pontiac-specific tuning I made some much-needed upgrades to get it to really run. I think all of these were discussed in some detail in other threads here.
  • Cliff-built Q-jet on 72 non-EGR factory manifold, new fuel pump and replacement fuel lines from tank to carb- note the idle quality and throttle response in the video
  • RARE manifolds and Pypes crossflow system- the magazine incorrectly said it had 2-1/2" dual exhaust. But it actually had just 2" pipes. That just had to be fixed.
  • RobbMC mini starter- needed for clearance to RA manifolds, also spins the big engine effortlessly even when hot
  • Fresh NAPA battery and 94A ACDelco alternator- keeps the volts up even at night with all accessories on
  • New 255/60 TA radials all around- had to get the power to the ground safely
  • Champion 4-core aluminum radiator- to keep the engine cool even with A/C on during hot southern summers
  • Innovate electric gage trio, temp, oil pressure, and wideband A/F- factory gages are not very accurate and I find A/F to be a great tuning tool
At least I didn't have to do anything to improve the "looks" of the car

Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright guys, I cleaned her up and did a photo shoot so I am ready to submit paid ads. I hate the thought of selling the car- I put a good bit of work into it and it looks and drives great. But it really needs to go.

Walk-around, cruise and launch video: https://youtu.be/CxNE9ztHVM8

A sampling of the new photos:

Last chance before it goes up for sale to the rest of the world. I'd really rather this car go to a real Pontiac enthusiast!

Last edited by PontGuy; 07-21-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hey pontguy, beautiful car and good luck on the sale. just to help you on the info of how many were made in this color combo, don't know for sure but I own the SD 4 speed car in this color combo. over the years I have only actually documented only 4 or 5 in this color and that includes yours. I saw mention of the guy who posted above about owning another sd in this color and my list doesn't include that one as I haven't found another sd.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
...don't know for sure but I own the SD 4 speed car in this color combo......

You kill me.

I would like a full inventory.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this car was a blue on red SD I would want it to be original and mint, and then I'd be scared to drive it! As it is my car is very, very nice and not too far from factory. But its not too valuable to enjoy driving and flogging a bit. I have to admit though, its the only performance car I've owned that I never put on the drag strip.

So far we have confirmed accounting of three- two SD's and mine. You say that you are aware of one or two more. Do you have any info on them and are they "confirmed sightings"? I really don't want to misrepresent the car so this sort of info is important to me.

Walt

Old 07-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

walt, yes they were documented and I have the phs on them. unfortunately they got mixed in with the stacks of phs copies I have (see pic this is just one stack over a foot tall and I have a few stacks like this with them in no order at all)
what I don't remember is if my figure of 4 included your car or not. so that's why I said 4 or 5. yours was the last one that surfaced on my radar until the other sd mentioned above. which I would love any details of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phs sheets.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	433231  

Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
You kill me.

it is shrinking every month and has for the last probably 7 to 10 years

Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 AM

WOW, what an awesome car, love it. Good luck with the sale. John

Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
You kill me.

Quote:
it is shrinking every month and has for the last probably 7 to 10 years
You need to know the guy for a minimum of 25 years Bob before he'll even consider selling you something.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
You need to know the guy for a minimum of 25 years Bob before he'll even consider selling you something.
Most people say that a day or two with me seems like a lifetime...

Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
walt, yes they were documented and I have the phs on them. unfortunately they got mixed in with the stacks of phs copies I have (see pic this is just one stack over a foot tall and I have a few stacks like this with them in no order at all)
what I don't remember is if my figure of 4 included your car or not. so that's why I said 4 or 5. yours was the last one that surfaced on my radar until the other sd mentioned above. which I would love any details of it.
My sd was a auto with ac. Came out of NH area. It did not have the original motor. I sold it to a buddy about 5 years ago. You cant keep them all.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK let's re-phrase then, how many complete and numbers matching, operational blue on red cars remain? And some photos would be nice! I've searched the internet many times and all I can find are pics of mine. Scroll down here for example: http://www.firebirdnest.com/index.ph...10-1974transam And yes, I am 100% sure it is my car.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Muscle_collector, is yours the manual tranny or the automatic one?

Quote:
OK let's re-phrase then, how many complete and numbers matching, operational blue on red cars remain?
I'd say the SD's are still around.

What is the codes on the cowl tag?
(or PHS pic?)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mine is a 4 speed