THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Survival in a Blizzard

After hearing of people getting stuck and actually freezing to death in their cars, I got to thinking. (it's the curse of being an engineer).

The best way to not freeze to death is to have enough gas to keep the motor running and the heat on. So how much gas is enough?

A little Google research shows that a small car typically consumes 0.19 gallons per hour idling and a large car consumes 0.39 gallons per hour.

Small car, assume 1/2 of a 14 gallon tank. 7 gallons lasts 36 hours.

Large car, assume 1/2 of a 22 gallon tank. 11 gallons lasts 28 hours.

Lots of assumptions were made, but the overall story is that if you always keep your tank at least half full, you can probably survive long enough to get rescued.

There's your morning trivia...

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never did the calculations. Thank you. My father always said in winter keep the tank full. You have to fill it at sometime. I keep extra winter clothing in my truck(most of the time).

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Senior Chief

I would like to add, If you’re stuck and keeping the car idling, check frequently to make sure your exhaust pipe is clear.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope. I would Double the 0.4 Gal/hr to 0.8. My Towncars burn more gas idling than i expected.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A sizable fraction of those who died in car in Buffalo expired from CO poisoning, so your idea does not really work well.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Up north here we typically have a mini survival kit in the trunk...

- blanket
- booster cables
- hand tools
- actual winter wear
- candle
- dry food/long shelf life
- shovel (you have to dig out the tailpipe if it keeps snowing or buried)

We never leave the gas tank less than a quarter cuz the gas line will freeze up. It's hard to keep on top of that but it's life and death obviously.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
A sizable fraction of those who died in car in Buffalo expired from CO poisoning, so your idea does not really work well.
Post #3 mitigates that problem.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

Preserve fuel, cycle the car on 1/2 hour and off 1/2 hour or so, get out and walk around it regularly so you check for snow/ice building around the exhaust as well as any other situational changes that may be occurring. As has been pointed out if you live in climates with storms carrying a survival kit is wise. I always have a first aid kit, tools and some extra clothing in my truck. I carry a old coat that doubles to keep me clean if I have to crawl under a car in the Summer. During Winter I never go out in a vehicle dressed in less clothing than I would be comfortable walking home in. If it is a special event that I am in a suit for, I have a heavy dress coat and I bring a warm hat and gloves to leave in the car.

Living in a cold climate all my life, I have been caught out in the cold with a broken car when younger, I thought I was indestructible, so not well dressed or prepared. It is a very humbling experience.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know of a great way to not die in a blizzard. It's 100% effective. But it's a secret.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 12-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I know of a great way to not die in a blizzard. It's 100% effective. But it's a secret.
1) stay indoors with heat, food and water

2) move south

3) ??

Am I close?

Eric

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I moved to Florida!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

2) move south

3) ??

Am I close?

Eric
I use a similar technique to avoid being attacked by sharks.

So far so good -

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

2) move south

3) ??

Am I close?

Eric
Man, and here I thought it was a secret because everyone goes out to drive in blizzards, as if they didn't know!

LOL.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 12-28-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Up north here we typically have a mini survival kit in the trunk...

- blanket
- booster cables
- hand tools
- actual winter wear
- candle
- dry food/long shelf life
- shovel (you have to dig out the tailpipe if it keeps snowing or buried)

We never leave the gas tank less than a quarter cuz the gas line will freeze up. It's hard to keep on top of that but it's life and death obviously.
I’m amazed at the amount of people around here who drive around in my rural area without even wearing a coat. Go off the road and it’s possible nobody will ever see you. If you don’t wear the winter gear, at least have it in your vehicle. Cell phone reception is hit or miss too. I think Darwin had it correct.
I was in the gas station over the weekend when it was below zero and 40 mph winds. The guy buying his lottery ticket at the counter had basketball shorts, a t shirt , and slippers on.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm totally guilty of the same but at least I have the gear packed in case I need it.

Weather is so wonky these days - today is freezing rain day!

Old 12-28-2022, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent alot of my days at plants supplying aggregates,asphalt,concrete etc.i know one truck driver who wore shorts year round with sneakers,short sleeve shirt even on the coldest winter days. Nice guy. I've seen truck drivers have to put their shoes on to get out of the truck,driving in their stocking feet. Seemed strange to me ,butttt.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Are you sure you're not mixing stats? Several Buffalo deaths were indeed ruled as CO poisoning, but they died at home. And then there's Anndel Taylor's mother - she's rejecting hypothermia as the cause of a driver's death, well, that doesn't exactly carry much weight.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Preserve fuel, cycle the car on 1/2 hour and off 1/2 hour or so, get out and walk around it regularly so you check for snow/ice building around the exhaust as well as any other situational changes that may be occurring.
Back in December of 1973, just before heading for a free all expenses paid trip to Germany for 39 months, I had a situation...

Flew home from the base in TX to Minneapolis/St. Paul. Brother-in-law picked me up at the airport and took me to his house (where I could have spent the night), but I was eager to get back further north to be with my wife and daughter.

So, I headed out on the 200 mile drive in -20 degree weather. I knew I only had a half tank of gas, but was sure I'd find a gas station open somewhere.

But this was December of 1973, during a gas crisis, and stations were not open . I got about half way home when I realized that I wasn't going to make it until the gas stationed opened up in the morning.

So, I pulled over by the gas station at a crossroads of two highways and parked (this was about midnight). I had a blanket in the trunk, wrapped myself up in it and stretched out in the back seat (engine off).

Eventually I woke up because I was cold. Started the car up and let it run long to get some heat going and turned the car off again, cuddled up in my blanket.

Can't remember how many times I did that, but the last time I woke up the station was open (I think it was about 6:30 - 7:00 AM. Pulled up to the pump, filled it up and headed home.

There is no way I'd let my car idle non stop for hours on end for so many reasons.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:07 PM

Buy a Ready Heat blanket like the military does, it is air activated, works in all climates, it is used for EMS, trauma, hospitals and military to keep the core temperature to survive, I've used them plus the air activated vest for outside play or hunting. All are disposable and will work up to 10 hours. I know because we manufacture them in Indy! Keep a blanket or two in the glove box, trunk or console they are about 12' x 12 x 1/4" folded, you just never know the situation ahead of you....... case solved

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIAGIMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 07:11 PM
Senior Chief

Everywhere you live in this country, you have to put up with something. Besides sharks in Florida, you have hurricanes, gators and oppressive heat. Out west, no water. I don't mind it here in Michigan even the winters. You have to be prepared everywhere you live. My brother moved to Florida in 1983, Pensacola NAS, and he says it is the opposite of Michigan. There they don't go out in the summer, here we don't go out in the winter. Still, with all of the problems from his weather over the years, I will put up with Michigan's winters.