Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 shifter handel

how does the lemans shifter handel attach? i have a GP push button on it now. i have the black T-handel and the metal clip underneath.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 seat prices

whats a fair price for a set of 68 bucket seats? don't have original and thinking of looking for a set in decent cond. up at fall carlisle but don't know what they're going for or if they're hard to find.
thanks

chris

Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 ignition switch

can't seem to find a new 68 lemans-gto ignition sw.. having some elect. problems and trying to replace what i can to narrow down the problem.
thanks

chris

Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know on the shifter handle question but the seats come up on eBay all the time. They are basically the same seats as any other '68 A body. Only the covers are exclusive to make. Price varies...I'd say $150 and up for a decent pair that you can work with.
The '68 ignition switch is not available new. It's exclusive to the Tempest/Lemans/GTO...I got one here on PY in good condition. They also pop up on eBay occasionally but be careful that you get the right one. The uninformed will sell you one from a Chevelle, Cutlass etc. with the explanation that they are all the same. They are not.... and that includes the '68 Firebird. It is a different switch.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

greg, what's the difference between switches, location of wire connections or exterior appearance.

chris

Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a plastic plug made to fit the ignition switch. It's part of your underdash harness and it's made to fit the proper switch and no other. It has eight prongs.
You can make another switch work but you have to know exactly what you are doing...That is, you'll have to either do away with the plastic plug or rig up some other type of connectors to jumper it to the new switch... and you'll also have to know exactly what prong on your replacement switch can be substituted for the original.
That's exactly what someone had done to mine (discarded the original plug) when I got it and it was a real pain getting it back to original.
The switches are not impossible to find in good shape. Advertise your needs in the wanted section of this site. Someone will have what you need and all you'll have to do is plug and play.
If you need a pic of the original, I have a junk one around here I can shoot for you. Let me know.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-12-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just happened to find one-
GTO Ignition Switch

And an example of the wrong one-
NOT a GTO ignition switch

Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks greg,

i'm not sure that i have the right one in my car now, i seem to remember the back of the switch being square , i'll have to check and get back to you

chris

is the bezel supposed to be thicker on one side as to aim the switch away from the steering column? mine does, seems odd but not sure what it's supposed to look like.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

NO.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas
thanks greg,

i'm not sure that i have the right one in my car now, i seem to remember the back of the switch being square , i'll have to check and get back to you
There is a faint possibility that the GTO switch is different than the Tempest/Lemans switch...Seems unlikely but I guess it could be so.