Old 09-18-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Correct trim rings for '69 GTO?

Just received my restored JA Rally II's. Look nice. The trim rings are reproduction. On the outside edge, or lip, it is stepped. The very outside edge (last 1/4" or so) being the lowest. Is this correct? It almost reminds me of a Chevelle trim ring. I believe the Pontiac trim ring is different (same as Buick?). Is the correct Pontiac trim ring supposed to be brushed or polished?
I specifically stated I wanted these wheels to be of concurse quality. I've looked through numerous GTO books and have not come to any conclusions.
Thanks for any help!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Jeff...

Yes, the correct trim should be "bevelled" by @ 3/8" or so. I have pix of my original '69 which took First Place at the '89 GTOAA Nat's and was featured in "Guide to Musclecars" magazine in Feb. of '90. I have seen several variations, so I'm not certain if diffrent versions were used at different times/plants, but I do know these to be the accepted version when more original cars were on the forefront. Now, I'm sure that restored cars are more common than originals, so tje line becomes somewhat blurred,as is often the case when restorers step into the mix. Anyway....find out what the judges like, as that will ultimately determine how you fair in a judged show. Correct is not always correct...and I can document cases in point. Anyway...good luck...and what do you expect for $1100? lol Ron.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The originals also locked to the rim by edge clips. All the aftermarket ones use inside pressure fingers instead and really scratch up the rims.