Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Internet stroker kit?

Hi all, There seems to be several suppliers selling what looks like the same kits. Scat forged crank, H beam rods and Icon forged pistons.
Do any of you have an experience with these kits? I’d appreciate your thoughts on quality accuracy and such. I’m also curious about the balanced vs unbalanced kits. Is the kits balance good or would you buy an unbalanced kit and have your machine shop balance it?
What degree of accuracy should a street / strip build be balanced to?

Thanks!
Murf
P.S. Keep Cool out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used a few SCAT cranks and rods but have not bought the kit with pistons.So far the cranks and rods have been fine.Tom

Old 06-16-2021, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've done alot of research on the stroker kits, and found that it is hard to beat the price on the Butler stroker kits, for the quality of parts that comes with them. They come balanced and ready to install. We initially looked at the Eagle branded stroker kit, but soon found out that the kit came with a Mahle piston, which is fine, but they have thin 1mm rings, which some people like, but for a street engine, my personal preference is to stick with the 1/16 rings. The compression height on the included Mahle piston is shorter, meaning more would have to be removed from the block to achieve Zero Deck. The Butler stroker kit comes with a custom Butler/Ross piston that uses standard 1/16 rings, and the compression height is a bit taller, so you can get the block to Zero Deck without cutting a bunch of the block. The Butler kit also includes the H-Beam rods, where as the Eagle branded kit includes the FSI rods. We ultimately went with the Butler 467 kit. Only about a $250-$300 difference between the two when all said and done, and feel the Butler kit comes with better parts for the little price difference.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom & TramsAm474!

I’ve been curious about the kits sold by Clegg on eBay. I’d never heard of them but a friend of mine had them build a 541 Mopar stroker for him. They told him it would make 700-750 hp depending on intake & exhaust. He took it to have broken in & dynod. He didn’t tell them what Clegg told him. It made 714 with unknown headers & his homemade 2x4 tunnel ram.

Anybody know anything about them? I think they’re based in Utah.

Thanks again
Murf

Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it is John Clegg the NHRA super stock racer.Have not bought anything from them.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I think it is John Clegg the NHRA super stock racer.Have not bought anything from them.Tom
The last I heard, John Clegg still lives down here in Victoria TX.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

I have done quite a bit of business with Clegg engines. I purchased my current 4.5" stroker kit from them and had them balance the assembly before shipping.

I have not started assembly as of yet however my local machine shop did comment positively on the kit.

I deal with Tyson, he is a great guy to work with.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 06-16-2021, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom, I wondered if it was them.

Thanks Nick, will your build be coming together anytime soon?

Thanks
Murf

Old 06-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Thanks Tom, I wondered if it was them.

Thanks Nick, will your build be coming together anytime soon?

Thanks
Murf

The engine build will likely be happening over the next few months.

The biggest issue I have is that the car will not be ready for the engine any time soon. So once I build the engine, it will sit until the car is ready for it.

Unfortunately I have been putting the car build off as I had a 30x30 garage + 17x30 office space planned that was supposed to start early this year. Unfortunately, due to the location of the proposed garage, the existing septic system location became an issue, this delayed things up to recently. However, now we are stuck in a crashing economy and increasing inflation making any/all construction 3 times as expensive and impossible for a builder to accurately bid on the project. Sooo... the garage will not be going up any time soon... which means the car is once again on the back burner. If its not one thing its another. Honestly, with the rate inflation is skyrocketing and lack of availability for construction materials, I think I inadvertently dodged a bullet.

So the engine will be built... I may build a engine test stand to run it on once a week... But it will have to wait till I free up some space to work on the car.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 06-17-2021, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember stopping the Clegg/Tinsley shop, when it was in Texas City, a long time ago (late 80's?)

I bought one complete "kit" years ago - only for my machine shop to point out how the bearings gave wrong clearances, etc.... When possible, I give the machine shop the part numbers and prices I've found, and tell them if they can get similar parts for close to the prices I see, then they can provide the parts. I almost always have the machine shop provide the bearings.

Lately, I've had great service and prices from https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/ mainly for cranks and rods. AutoTec/RaceTec has been great for pistons & rings, but they are getting a little back-logged right now.

I then let the machine balance everything.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 06-17-2021, 04:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Different people.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Diff people like Tom says?Tom

Old 06-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Diff people like Tom says?Tom
I believe so. On eBay they claim to be a "full" machine shop in Orem, Utah, and have been in business for 39 years. Doubt they have anything to do with John Clegg.

Glad that AIR RAM had a positive experience with them.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was recently a post where a guy in the UK bought a ready balanced rotating kit from one of the US vendors, (expecting it to be a drop in job), however the crank counterweights hit the oil pump drive shaft ,so these rotating kits are not guaranteed to fit. As it stands now, I don't know if the guy above has had to grind the crank for clearance and re-balance or what.
IMO it's best to buy the kit,trial fit it, then get it balanced.
From my own experience, I bought one of the first Scat 4.00" forgings from B.O.P/All Pontiac and had to grind my block to clear the cranks oil slinger which was slightly in the wrong place.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John and JB still in Victoria for sure.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hi all, There seems to be several suppliers selling what looks like the same kits. Scat forged crank, H beam rods and Icon forged pistons.
Do any of you have an experience with these kits? I’d appreciate your thoughts on quality accuracy and such. I’m also curious about the balanced vs unbalanced kits. Is the kits balance good or would you buy an unbalanced kit and have your machine shop balance it?
What degree of accuracy should a street / strip build be balanced to?

Thanks!
Murf
P.S. Keep Cool out there

I used a SCAT forged rotating assembly purchased from Clegg….Unbalanced……no issues with it

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 06-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone! I’m glad to hear a couple of ya have used them with no major issues.
Of course I will check with my shop & see if they can get close on price.

Thanks again!
Murf

Old 06-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I’m glad to hear a couple of ya have used them with no major issues.
Of course I will check with my shop & see if they can get close on price.

Thanks again!
Murf

Keep in mind, Clegg is more than willing and capable of buiding the kit to what ever you are looking for. Forged Line Rods where not available in the 6.7 length when I purchased my kit with the Scat Rods W/ARP2000 bolts. Clegg assisted with spec'ing the pistons while working with Carillo reps. Once all the parts came in they did their balancing on the rotating assembly. Its pretty much dead nuts zero balanced according to the card.

I dont expect to run into issues with the Scat crank, they did have issues early on when they first came out, however from my research prior to ordering, they seem to have fixed fitment issues of the past.

With all that said, If i could have done things differently, I would have paid more attention to rotating mass weights. Piston weights, rod weights and wrist pin weights. I dont think mine is doing to bad for a 498ci. Would have liked to have that a bit lower.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	496 Pontiac - Bob weight card.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	568437  

Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not heard of any issues with Scat cranks. The early Eagle cast cranks had problems with very rough thrust surfaces is not addressed. Specs were all over the place.
CAT cast cranks were awful. Had counterweights with terrible issues.