Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Needle and seat

Hello all, I have been able to get my car almost back on the road. I had my carb rebuilt and it ran super, yesterday I went out to start it up and it almost immediately started to flood. I can see down the carb after cranking it that all 4 barrels have fuel dripping or running out of the center venturies. Could my needle and seat have gotten some junk between them and causing this? Do I need to disassemble the carb? or can I blow this out with compressed air at the fuel inlet? Thanks ahead of time, I have never had this problem before with any carb.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saying you had it rebuilt opens doors to trouble...I am helping a friend right now who had the WCFB rebuilt and the same exact problem is happening...thing runs for 10 seconds before flooding out something fierce... I am thinking that there is a glass bead particle (or 10!) blocking an air passage causing this. Not looking forward to rectifying this since the guy who originally rebuilt it is alive and well...and not doing a very good job of standing by his work. (HINT HINT, Mr. L.)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

My buddy rebuilt this carb for me, He owns his own shop, and I supplied the new kit, all he had done was to soak it in carb cleaner while disassembled, since I am just trying to get it running down the road. The carb had worked just fine for several weeks. I am running a double fuel filter system, and had the tank cleaned, new fuel pump, I did not replace the original carb to fuel pump metal lines.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would ask him if he found a lot of trash in there when he opened it up. If not, then you might be less inclined to suspect that.

All speculation without opening it up to see what you can see.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Chief

That is a very good question, I will be sure to ask him about that. Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can get it running tap the fuel inlet with handle from a heavy screw driver. It may on stick it.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Default carb flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
Hello all, I have been able to get my car almost back on the road. I had my carb rebuilt and it ran super, yesterday I went out to start it up and it almost immediately started to flood. I can see down the carb after cranking it that all 4 barrels have fuel dripping or running out of the center venturies. Could my needle and seat have gotten some junk between them and causing this? Do I need to disassemble the carb? or can I blow this out with compressed air at the fuel inlet? Thanks ahead of time, I have never had this problem before with any carb.
Do NOT use compressed air to blow out the carb line into the carb - you will have a highly combustible mixture if you do that and could cause a fire just from static electricity. You have a carb bowl full of gas and that stuff will fly everywhere.

Sounds you may have a 'sinking' float problem. The brass floats are prone to developing leaks and from your description of running good for a few days and now the carb floods tells me the float may have developed a slow leak and has filled with gas, thereby sinking. Pull the top off the carb and remove the float and shake it - you will hear and feel the gas moving inside- it will also be obviously heavy. If it has gas in it that is definitely your problem. The float can be repaired by someone who is familiar with this procedure, or get a new one - they are available.
I just went through this situation with a friend's car and also have had it happen to me a couple of times. I have rebuilt man tripower setups and 4 barrel carbs - particularly the Carter AFBs which have the brass floats rather than the composite stuff used in the later years, particularly the Rochester quads - which, by the way can absorb gas and change float level settings. Those should be thrown away and replaced with new ones.

Frank

Last edited by FHummel; 04-20-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank, et al, any thoughts in terms of a car that almost immediately loads up and stalls out from flooding? Carb is a WCFB on a '57 283. I tested the floats and they do not leak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Engine-Ear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Sometimes the "tap with a screwdriver handle) trick will work, but only if the float isn't sunk. Small "junk" gets stuck in the needle seat and prevents the needle from stopping the fuel flow. The sharp hit from the screwdriver handle will usually dislodge the crap, allowing the needle to seat properly.

Otherwise, check your float level, make sure it is adjusted properly. I've never messed with a WCFB, so no idea if the float level is even adjustable.

May the torque be with you.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Senior Chief

I went out with my plastic mallet and thumped around for a while and no help. I will remove the carb and check the float, I do remember it being brass, but we did not replace it. Thanks for everyones advice.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe something not very obvious. My tri-power 61 idled when I bought it. A little rough but not terrible. I was doing some adjusting and noticed that the front carb was dripping a little fuel in to the bore. So I bought a new needle and seat and float as that seemed it would be the obvious problem. After I had it apart I had a revelation. Seemed the seat came out very easy. Didn't think about it when I took it out but as no old part looked bad I finally realized that whoever had rebuilt the carbs had not tightened the seat - only did a finger tight. Anyway I made sure the new one was tight and have not had a problem. Idles just like the factory intended.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Chief

I will look at that when I open it up. Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

I opened up the carb, and found some small debris in the bottom of the bowls, but I found a bristle from a parts cleaning brush inside one of the needle and seats. I will try and start her up tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
I opened up the carb, and found some small debris in the bottom of the bowls, but I found a bristle from a parts cleaning brush inside one of the needle and seats. I will try and start her up tomorrow.
Simple enough fix.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

Well I thought the bristle was the culperate in this case, but carb still floods out just the same. Floats were dry. My buddy says the inside of the carb was clean, and when I took it apart last night, it looked really good.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Lower the float a bit. it may be a simple adjustment issue.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

I went out and removed the top of the carb again, Buddy suggested that I remove needle and seats one more time and clean everything out with carb cleaner to be extra sure that, there is nothing inside. I did this found nothing. I put everything back together and again fuel all over. I was just looking at my chassis manual and I believe he has installed the floats incorrectly. The tabs are on the wrong side of the cross shaft on both floats, according to my picture. I am going to remove the top of the carb again and install and adjust everything per my chassis manual and we can see what happens.

What I dont understand is why did the carb run great for a week or so, and then start with all of this? I did have my fuel line above the float level of the carb, maybe I was not actually filling the bowls prior???

Oh well we will see what tomorrow brings.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Ok the fix was...... My buddy had the floats upside down, and the needle was never able to close. Turned them over and readjusted the floats heights, and it is back to running great. Thanks for everyones suggestions.