THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Rock... if you are bitten by a recluse spider you'll know it. Best to get to a doctor ASAP. Their venom can and will kill you. A friend was bitten by one and didn't pay attention to it. By the time he got to an ER he was in really bad shape and almost died from it. Could have lost his leg too, but fortunately for him they they saved his life and leg.
This was a couple years ago. I have a small scar, but all good now.

Lots of people get bit in their sleep and dont know it immediately. They rarely kill, but yeah seek medical attention immediately. Their bites create a necrotic wound, which is why its basically the same as having a staph infection. I think the greater danger of death comes from said would becoming infected. If its in a bad area the doctors will just cut away the necrotic flesh. A friend of mine got bit in her sleep a couple times in the butt. Had to get a couple of tablespoons taken out of her posterior.

All that said, I am terrified of spiders so regardless of how deadly they are or arent they can all stay away from me. Im the type of dude who will stop and help a snapping turtle or snake across the road. But I kill spiders on sight.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Snapping turtles make a great turtle soup. Tho it is a pain to clean them for their meat, is sure tastes good. I've had it several times.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just sprayed behind the garage to kill what ever grows there. I used to trim it, but something is back there poison ivy, oak or sumac and I would always get the rash. I did the whole dawn thing. Zanfel at $50 for a small tube seems to work for me. Tried the cheaper stuff just didn't do it.

One thing that worked was using a hair drier to blow hot air over the area until it almost hurts. It makes the area numb for a while , and there is no desire to itch. This would get me through the night.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only have poison oak in our area, but have quite a bit of it on the property. I was told that poison oak gets easier to catch every occurrence and I've pretty well proven that out. I was pretty immune to it until we did some clearing and burned piles of it, and the smoke gave me a bad case. It's really for me to catch it now and I don't like to even be in the proximity of it. I also learned that being up on the backhoe with the fine dust blowing around from dirt under the plants will get me and I never get off the tractor.

Worse thing that happened to us decades ago was my young daughter and a friend didn't know what it was and were playing in it pulling it out with their hands to make a clearing. Late that night she came into our room and said her face hurt. My wife switched on the light and screamed. The massive swelling in my daughter's face looked like the skin was just going to split open. Her eyes were swollen shut and it didn't even resemble her. That prompted an emergency run to the hospital and we were really frightened whether she was going to be alright. It took weeks for her to return to normal but no long term effects.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

We use Roundup to spray the PI when it's young. Two days later the plant has "disappeared". Never burn it or chop it up, others have said what can happen.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Surprised nobody has mentioned Fels Naptha soap yet. Maybe because it has faded away with an older generation. My late mother used to always stand by it when any of our family got it. Might not be any more effective than the other detergents mentioned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fels-Naptha

I've had bad breakouts sprinkled throughout my life but each time seems to bring on a period of immunity, maybe five years or so. Last time was in 2016 when I was doing trimming around my sister's property line and there were old grandaddy vines wrapped around the fence posts. Yeah, I knew what it was, but I probably just didn't wash thoroughly enough. It was a minor breakout that cleared up after a couple days, with calamine lotion.
I remember getting a few hours of relief from doing dishes when I was a teenager and I had it on my fingers and wrists.