Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM

Default New A6 A/C Compressor, No More Remans

We have a '71 Catalina w/400. I've had multiple bad experiences with reman A6 compressors and want to get a new unit. Where are you guys getting your new A6s and what is your opinion on the quality?

Thanks,
Brandon

Old 06-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.almaproducts.com/Transtar...ochure-(7).pdf Call Alma directly and talk to them to make certain you get the correct part number. Pulley, clutch clocking and pressure switch all vary. Then they had me order through a Thermo King up in Michigain somewhere ( I could probably find the reciept if you need me to) They build them per order, i had mine about 3 weeks after i ordered it. I thought the price was reasonable, it was about $120 more than a reman, about $450 total. No leaks or problems yet. I converted to r134a while i was doing it. Ice cold so far.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
http://www.almaproducts.com/Transtar...ochure-(7).pdf Call Alma directly and talk to them to make certain you get the correct part number. Pulley, clutch clocking and pressure switch all vary. Then they had me order through a Thermo King up in Michigain somewhere ( I could probably find the reciept if you need me to) They build them per order, i had mine about 3 weeks after i ordered it. I thought the price was reasonable, it was about $120 more than a reman, about $450 total. No leaks or problems yet. I converted to r134a while i was doing it. Ice cold so far.
X2 regarding Alma.

Only issue is they use metric fasteners.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Actually only matters in a show car. AC system does not care what compressor you use, HR6, Sanden, or even a York, does not matter to the AC.

Do have an A6 in the Judge because were available in the last century when I rebuilt the system.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Actually only matters in a show car. AC system does not care what compressor you use, HR6, Sanden, or even a York, does not matter to the AC.

Do have an A6 in the Judge because were available in the last century when I rebuilt the system.
hey Pagett, since it doesn't matter which compressor for 1971 car is any of the other options (HR6, Sanden, York) any better or more efficient to run than the original A6.

Jim

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 06-26-2021, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Been a while but only real difference is the cubic inch displacement. More is better for low revs cooling. The A6 displaces about 12ci, DA/HR6 is about 10ci., Sanden is more like 9ci.

I have not noticed much difference between R12 and R134A in a well maintained system. Yorks are not for GM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 09:50 PM

Thank you for the recommendations.