THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question yard sale pricing?

A guy I know remodels house and sometimes does cleanouts of stuff left in houses which he sells at yard sales. Among some items he recently obtained these 3 new-in-the-box electronic items which he would like to know what to price them at. What are good yard sale estimates?
HP PHOTOSMART 8750
HP SCANJET 8300
HP FAX1240

Thanks for any info!

Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just like any electronics they are not worth much. The 8750 is no longer made and the only supplies available for it are inks. Amazon has one listed for $799 but I would take any offer for it. Same goes for the 8300 scanjet. It is 15 year old technology. And, the fax machine is about worthless as well. Old technology.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2!

When we were in Illinois we needed an ink cartridge for our printer.
Walmart had a scanner/copier/printer for $49, our one cartridge was going to be $40. No brainer.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-26-2021, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s true that a new printer will most likely include a reduced capacity “starter” ink cartridge. But it’s still better than buying an old one. I’ve ditched a few antiquated ones just in the past couple of months. I couldn’t give them away, sad to say.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been using HP printers since Noah landed the Ark!

Had one fail (I thought) earlier this year. Found a completely HP-authorized refurb for $109. less cartridge but including freight!

Bought it, and took the cartridge out of the old printer to use in the refurb, and found the cartridge to be defective. Bought a refurb cartridge from a local ink supplier for $50. and now have a virtually new HP laser for $150. I paid a thousand for the old one when I bought it new. Just took the old one to a scrap dealer. Did the same thing with a fax machine.

We tried the WORKING fax machine at a garage sale for $25 ->$15. ->$10 -> $5. -> Just take it. Couldn't give it away.

If one does not require all of the new bells and whistles, one can get electronic equipment a few years old for virtually a song.

Put them out with a sign "Make offer" then TAKE IT!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:45 PM

A guy I knew bought a new computer that was bundled with an inkjet printer. He didn't need it so he listed it on Craiglist, a brand new inkjet printer for $20. Some woman called him and asked him if he'd take $15 for it. He told her that he'd throw it in the garbage before he'd sell it to her for $15. I don't know whether he ever sold it, but not to her!

Old 07-26-2021, 03:13 PM

What usually happens to most old/obsolete printers, they get Office Spaced

Old 07-26-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new Epson printer with tanks. Kind of spendy but no more cartridges that dry up before they get used.

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yard sale pricing = 4 cents on the dollar. If one does well. The joy of dealing with yard sale pro's who play like it is life or death over a penny is priceless (and show up an hour early). And lugging buckets of change to the bank like some compulsive hoarder is fun. I admire and respect anyone that does yard sales.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife often says we should have a yard sale- I tell her I will give her $100 to throw away some crap and save us all some time.

Used electronics are almost worthless- old TV’s, printers, laptops…. Not even worth the effort of trying to sell in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Used electronics are almost worthless- old TV’s, printers, laptops…. Not even worth the effort of trying to sell in my opinion.
Outside of the occasional collector item such as a rotary phone or a specialty record player, this is 100% correct. Especially mass-produced items that have been replaced by similar items. I loved my HP Laserjet II that lasted for 2 decades, but when I moved no one wanted it and it went to the electronics recycle bin.

I just recycle the stuff\e-waste drop off. It isn't worth my time. It's just like trying to sell used harmonic balancers or old timing covers or 2bbl intake manifolds - more headache than its worth.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I volunteer at St Vincent Vincent DePaul store. We take cast off articles. My day is Monday. We get all the left overs from yard sales,deaths, etc. Anyway last week had a new Lexmark printer,I put $10.00 on it for resale. New toasters, $3.00,new microwaves $5-10. Electronics you almost cant give away.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Outside of the occasional collector item such as a rotary phone or a specialty record player, this is 100% correct.
There is collector value on some old stereo gear, but not just anything. You have to know your stuff, and must test, as much needs work often. It is a mine field. I keep my eye out for certain reel to reels, but guaranteed they will need rebuilt.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

I'm at the tail end of clearing out a deceased estate. I had NO IDEA how much stuff the couple hoarded. Very sad really.

So now I have a pile of VHS movie tapes, I estimate 540 of them, at least 200 DVD movies, 100's of music CD's but WORSE, I have so far counted a total of 41 VHS or DVD players, some of which are multi players. Good quality brands too

I have 2 complete Marantz stereo set ups, a very high quality Onkyo Stereo. It just goes on and on......

I'm going to neatly pile them all up and advertise the whole lot as a single buy. And I don't care how much or how little we get as in essence, if someone takes the lot, that means I don't have to worry about it any more

Old 07-27-2021, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I'm going to neatly pile them all up and advertise the whole lot as a single buy. And I don't care how much or how little we get as in essence, if someone takes the lot, that means I don't have to worry about it any more
It may be better to separate out some things, like the Marantz and Onkyo equipment - depending on the specific models there may be a lot of interest in them, but if the buyer is forced to take a bunch of other stuff in the sale it may scare them off.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We do get some articles that are late 50s early 60s that are like new. We have about 40 78 records from the 30s 40s,from my parents. I'm told they arent worth anything.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I'm told they arent worth anything.
Unless it's a super rare recording of an artist that is incredibly hard to come by and desired, 78s are something no one wants or cares for outside of people like Steve Buscemi in Ghost World. Conversation pieces at best.