THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When it was my dime on the whole deal there was not a issue with doing 20,I now have almost 30 spoken for so that is not the issue.Dont have time to mess with it until the 19th.Standing bye to stand bye.Tom

Old 07-19-2021, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,Lynwood did not want to partner up so im on the hunt for a diff option.Have not thrown in the towel yet.Stand bye.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As of now guys it looks like the program is dead.I have the complete list with all that wants one.If anything changes I will let the board know.Lots of man hours and money spent.Hope it will work out someday.Sorry guys.Tom

Old 07-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

Tom thanks for trying, if you need some expense money I’m willing to chip in.
SD

Old 07-23-2021, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom, if the foundry wants all the money up front then I would also be willing to chip in to get this project completed. You did a ton of work so far and it would be a shame if it didn't get done. Maybe if several of the other guys who want a manifold also helped out the project could still move forward.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very much appreciate your efforts Tom, frustrating, baby steps have turned to a low crawl.

Waiting in line to get in line... as mentioned above, I'm still in the game, PM you later.

Much Thanks,
Frank

Old 07-23-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

guys,it not the money.I just cant have that much money go through my banks.Have been looking for someone to take over the deal.Its 99% done and I will stay with it until the finished product is ready to ship.Im just worn out with the hours involved and would just like to move on.What the hell,I have 2 3D printed intakes and some cool files on a memory stick or two.Tom

Old 07-23-2021, 09:30 PM

I checked with my metallurgist brother who has a lot of experience with foundry work, and he recommended a couple places here in the Minneapolis area:
http://www.carleyfoundry.com they do both sand casting and investment casting of aluminum
https://surecastfoundry.com he said they seem to welcome low volume / prototype work
I know Minneapolis is 2,000 miles away so you couldn't just pop over to visit in person, but you could maybe deal with them over the phone.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The foundry I have is the right one for out here.They make the patterns,pour the metal and can machine them all in house.The issue is I CANT handle the money or ship the product.If someone wants the two 3D printed intakes,the STL files and the Parasolid files they can buy that from me and take it to whoever they want to make the patterns,pour the intakes and then have them machined.ALL the heavy work has been done.Tom

Old 07-23-2021, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the hard work Tom. I'm still in & Hopeful

Old 07-25-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,I have decided to wash my hands of the project.Im worn out.The project is forsale for $8500.For that the buyer will get 2 3D printed plastic intakes and a memory stick with the STL files to be able to print and machine casted intakes along with the Paisolid(spelling) files need to make the patterns.These will allow the buyer to take the files to their local pattern maker and have patterns made which can be taken to a local foundry to have cast.They can then go to a local machine shop to machine the casting.This includes files for the early and late style intakes.sorry to bail out but for my mental well being its my only option.I really wanted to stay to the end,SORRY.I know to duplicate to this stage it would cost more than double the amount I have in it.My thanks to John Cogger and Jon Schmit for getting me this far,without them I would have been lost.Tom

Old 07-25-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that did not take long.Guys,the project will continue!John Cogger who is a board member is taking it over.He was involved with scanning my intake and getting the 3 D manifold printed and has a 5 axes CNC machine.He is actually making a billet Bathtub.Im sure at some point he will get on the thread and confirm.I will remain on board with him to supply him with all names that have confirmed they still wanted them.Standing by to stand by!Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is indeed great news! I don't know Mr. Cogger, but he has the key ingredients to keep this project alive. He is very interested and involved in the project. The project will remain in local control. (assuming he will be using the local foundry/pattern shop you found). He is a PONTIAC guy. Can't hope for a better result than this. Congratulations and thank you.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fantastic news. Thank you Tom for all you have done and thank you John Cogger in advance for taking over the project. Pontiac people are the best!

Old 07-26-2021, 04:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just seen this, what a case of whiplash! Getting in line to get in line.

Much thanks to John Cogger, and especially you Tom!

Frank

Old 07-27-2021, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Manifold Project goes live

Thanks to all for the patience in hanging in with this project. I have been involved since the beginning, getting the scan done, getting a 3D printed model, and helping out with some of the computer modeling work. I have owned a company that does mechanical engineering and product development for more than 30 years, so this project is a good fit for us.

Tom was gracious enough to come along with me today to the foundry to facilitate the hand off. The foundry is enthusiastic about this project, and so am I. Contracts were signed, purchase orders given and the deposit was made so the production is now officially started.

The casting tooling is now underway, which will take around 8 weeks. During that time we will develop the necessary fixtures to accomplish the machining of the finished castings. I plan to do all the machining work in house on our 5 axis mill.

While this is not really a 5 axis job, using this machine will mean the part can be machined on 5 sides in a single setup, and insures that the tolerances and feature relationships are of high precision.

As a side project, we are also machining a late model style manifold from a solid billet. Here are a few pics, the top is done but the base is still on the machine as it is a big project. The chunk of raw aluminum weighs 145 lbs, and the toolpaths contain over 240,000 lines of code, all which had to be programmed. Here are a few shots of the plenum area that was roughed out of the billet.

I’ll post updates on the casting tooling periodically as things progress, and we should have some really nice intakes shortly. After visiting the foundry, I am confident that they can turn out high quality castings- Tom did a great job finding these folks and getting the project this far.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darbikrash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbikrash View Post
Thanks to all for the patience in hanging in with this project. I have been involved since the beginning, getting the scan done, getting a 3D printed model, and helping out with some of the computer modeling work. I have owned a company that does mechanical engineering and product development for more than 30 years, so this project is a good fit for us.

Tom was gracious enough to come along with me today to the foundry to facilitate the hand off. The foundry is enthusiastic about this project, and so am I. Contracts were signed, purchase orders given and the deposit was made so the production is now officially started.

The casting tooling is now underway, which will take around 8 weeks. During that time we will develop the necessary fixtures to accomplish the machining of the finished castings. I plan to do all the machining work in house on our 5 axis mill.

While this is not really a 5 axis job, using this machine will mean the part can be machined on 5 sides in a single setup, and insures that the tolerances and feature relationships are of high precision.

As a side project, we are also machining a late model style manifold from a solid billet. Here are a few pics, the top is done but the base is still on the machine as it is a big project. The chunk of raw aluminum weighs 145 lbs, and the toolpaths contain over 240,000 lines of code, all which had to be programmed. Here are a few shots of the plenum area that was roughed out of the billet.

I’ll post updates on the casting tooling periodically as things progress, and we should have some really nice intakes shortly. After visiting the foundry, I am confident that they can turn out high quality castings- Tom did a great job finding these folks and getting the project this far.
Very impressive! So glad to hear that this is going forward!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a need for this intake or an order placed but this gives me great satisfaction to see this come full circle. The folks involved from concept to fruition are simply outstanding. Thank You to everyone in giving this project life !

Tim john---

Old 07-29-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

very cool project

Old 08-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been AWOL for a while and hadn't seen the latest up-down-up revelations on the Intake project.
What a Roller Coaster Ride that bit of reading was !! lol wow

Hats Off to Tom and John Cogger
I feel like the Intakes will sell about 5x or 10x the amount that are already spoken for once they become known to the Masses and MainStream.
eBay Amazon FacebookMarketplace etc ... SmokeSignals , GTOAA
Maybe a Vendor (private or public) could display them at the Conventions ...

Best Wishes