THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
A ways back I built my own "mini" goose neck trailer. Not sure why you don't see them more often. The advantage being they are super stable and allow stable/safe towing of considerably more with a 1/2 ton or small pickup that would normally be the case. Since way more of the load is on the tow vehicle and centered on the rear axle stability and traction problems are all but nonexistent.

As mentioned above, good tow and trailer brakes are a must, and enough motor (or gearing) to do the towing.

Not a solution for you probably, but was for me for years.
I agree fully, I have a Holiday Rambler inverted fifth wheel camper that is past it's expiration date as a camper (1978) that I will be stripping down to the chassis to make an inverted fifth wheel flat trailer. It tows so much better than a bumper hitch trailer does. A fifth wheel, or gooseneck is much more stable than the alternative bumper pull. After towing the camper with the fifth wheel system I'd never want to tow anything of decent weight with a bumper hitch trailer again.

I also have my class A CDL, so have many miles under my belt towing 53 foot trailers with a road tractor, that's how the trucking industry has been towing freight for the last hundred years.

An inverted fifth wheel is mounted to the trailer, and hitches to just a pin in the bed of the truck eliminating all the hardware being inside of the truck bed screwing up the bed for hauling larger items. It can be removed in a few minutes if you would require a completely flat surface in the bed for hauling.

I'll need to put wider axles under the camper chassis and reinforce it and widen it for car, skid steer duty, but it's lots less expensive than buying a ready made trailer from a manufacturer.

As far as ex U Haul vehicles, mine has 219,000 on it, and was in excellent condition when I bought it, plus they have the maintenance records of the vehicle since new for examination if you're buying from U Haul. They've been on a maintenance schedule since day one, unlike buying from a private seller that probably has zero records of maintenance, and could be the 5th owner.

Being I've worked as a mechanic most of my adult life I really like to know the past history of repairs, and maintenance when I am buying used vehicles. I noted a few things when I test drove the truck, and they repaired any concerns I had before I bought the truck, no hassle. A new battery, and glow plug controller were the two items they addressed before I bought the truck.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a really high mileage 2010> GM 2500 6.0 truck. My friend Ron Chamnes is a hotshot trucker who hauls commercial bar-b-que pit all over the U.S. with them, puts 500k miles on them before selling them for cheap and buying a new one, and the people who buy them from him then keep them forever. He normally puts a trans or two in them during his 500k use of them but never touches the engines. He's been doing this for years and years. If you can find one with say 250k or so on it you should be able to get it for cheap.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
I've thought about getting a truck lately, but with the ridiculous prices of new/used, I'm considering alternatives for general hauling/light duty.

I used to drag around my 19' Scarab with a S-10 pickup, but that was out of necessity. I doubt a small pickup would be able to handle a car/trailer, if I ever wanted to haul the GTO to a national event.

Thought about either going older (like an El Camino/wagon with a V8) or maybe something like a Dodge Magnum. Not sure if either would be able to handle the load or be dependable enough though.

So...any unconventional ideas that won't break the bank?

May be better to just wait out the current vehicular trends, as I am in no great hurry.
Vertigto, What about an old '71-76 B-body like a Catalina, Bonneville, or Grandville with the 455/TH400? You can still get pretty nice ones in the $6-8K range and they are full frame and Class III hitches are already on some of them. I used to tow my '70 GTO (4000 #) plus tools/parts (500#) on a heavy trailer (3000#) plus a couple of people and their gear (500#) for a total of 8000# and it towed and handled great. These big family cars made good haulers back in the day and are cool to see these days. I know a p/u truck is probably better all the way around, but, you asked for alternatives...

I added a factory 4-core Harrison radiator, an auxiliary trans cooler, and Trans-go shift kit and left the 2.73 rear end. It towed great for what is was.

A while back, Dan had a '74 Catalina with a 400 2-bbl that he towed his T-37 with, then he bought a '72 Lemans wagon that he converted to a 455HO (GTO) that he towed with. Both towed wonderfully well.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 Bonneville Driver Side.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	568600  

Old 06-22-2021, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Buy a really high mileage 2010> GM 2500 6.0 truck. My friend Ron Chamnes is a hotshot trucker who hauls commercial bar-b-que pit all over the U.S. with them, puts 500k miles on them before selling them for cheap and buying a new one, and the people who buy them from him then keep them forever. He normally puts a trans or two in them during his 500k use of them but never touches the engines. He's been doing this for years and years. If you can find one with say 250k or so on it you should be able to get it for cheap.
Excellent idea. That's basically what I did (bought my truck from my engine builder). I imagine a guy hauling a bar-b-que pit is following the nice weather, too, and staying away from snow and ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
There are many more 2wd good towing choices than 4x4.
I agree with Bruce, too, but did not follow my own advice.

My current daily driver/tow vehicle is 4wd, because I do a lot of moving the trailers around on grass and bombing across the yard (in addition to winter driving).

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black truck.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	568601  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-22-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

A really good load equalizing hitch will balance much the same as a 5th wheel. I towed many many miles before I ever knew how dangerous the magazines said it was.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Search for a used Police Tahoe. You can get one for less than $10k and if it needs something...it's a Chevy.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a smart car!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C85C8E54-7BFE-4531-AD7D-722F2930E247.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	568613  

Old 06-22-2021, 02:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I think you would want closer to 7K at a bare minimum. You have pictures of your car on the trailer (rated 8000#) behind my Excursion (rated at 10K towing), and that is a 19' trailer weighing around 3K lbs. before my modifications (stone guard, boxes and winch). Heavier 4WD will cost you total weight capacity vs. 2WD.
Hey Steve...funny you should mention your Excursion. Just saw this come up on BAT, but I need to pay off the GTO first.

Wasn't looking to go quite that big or 4x4, but this thing has relatively low miles for a 17 y/o truck (117K). Too bad it's in Cali...no reserve, wonder what it will go for? *Edit = $14,500.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2021-06-22

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400

Last edited by vertigto; 06-22-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

SD455DJ...thought about a B-body/full-size, but assumed a decent shape/reliable example would be at least $10-12K. Will add it to the search list, although still leaning toward something with cargo space for other endeavors.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Excellent idea. That's basically what I did (bought my truck from my engine builder). I imagine a guy hauling a bar-b-que pit is following the nice weather, too, and staying away from snow and ice.

I agree with Bruce, too, but did not follow my own advice.

My current daily driver/tow vehicle is 4wd, because I do a lot of moving the trailers around on grass and bombing across the yard (in addition to winter driving).

K
Ron maintains his trucks scrupulously and you are right he does not drive when it is dangerous. He normally sells the old one for about $5k. He is in the process of selling an old (2015 I think it is) truck now and just bought the replacement for it. Unfortunately for the op the old one is already sold.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now this still amazes me... 4k-Mile 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado 4×4 just sold on BAT for $88,000.

The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

California prices are typically low for the Excursions. I think it has to do with $5 a gallon gas.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Now this still amazes me... 4k-Mile 1987 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado 4×4 just sold on BAT for $88,000.
Old Blazers are popular anyway, and extremely low mileage cars will often smash through any normal valuations. Even cars that aren't popular will often fetch amazing auction prices if they only have a few thousand on the odometer.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Old Blazers are popular anyway, and extremely low mileage cars will often smash through any normal valuations. Even cars that aren't popular will often fetch amazing auction prices if they only have a few thousand on the odometer.
Agreed, but I want to be able to drive my vehicles without degrading the value tremendously. I'm not one to collect cars to sit in a warehouse.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

You trust an odometer ? If so I have this wonderful Florida land with cypress trees...

Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend yrs ago towed to Norwalk for a chevy event with a blazer,open trailer w 68camaro.When he was coming home the trailer was swaying and the blazer with short wheelbase was swaying also. He said never again with short wheelbase. I guess people do but I like long wheelbase.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've owned 3/4 ton 454 Suburbans for the last 30+ years, and they make great tow vehicles. I've had a 1978 that I drove until the mid-2000s that I put over 200K miles on myself, and the rear end finally went out at over 300K. I had a 1993 2500 4x4 454 Suburban with the 4L80E, it towed great as well. I bought it with high miles, and sold it not long after buying my current tow vehicle, a 96 Suburban 454 4x4. The 2500 series typicall have the same braking system as the 3500 series truck (if you get the 8600 GVW), and most come iwth 4.10 gears in the full-float 14-bolt rear with a 4L80E.

Nice ones cost over $5K, but you can buy one with flaking paint and some wear and tear for under $5K.

Mike

Old 06-22-2021, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Shortest wheelbase I've had on a tow car is 110". Jeep is 114.8. As long as trailer tires had enough air (I like load Range E) never had an issue.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
A friend yrs ago towed to Norwalk for a chevy event with a blazer,open trailer w 68camaro.When he was coming home the trailer was swaying and the blazer with short wheelbase was swaying also. He said never again with short wheelbase. I guess people do but I like long wheelbase.

Tow vehicle weight and wheelbase are very important factors to consider.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:51 AM

Thumbs up

Lexus GX470

Rock solid reliability, excellent off road capability, V8 power, seats 7 and can be had for as little as $5k if you shop around.

And when it comes time to mod, well the sky's the limit

We have one as a shop beater and it hauls my enclosed trailers with ease