Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Preserving trailer wood-ideas?

I bought a 6.5x14’ trailer last year, as my old car trailer is too long and cumbersome for my wife to use. Anyway what do you guys use to preserve the wood deck boards? A simple deck sealer, or just let it weather? I’d like to extend the life of the boards as much as possible, especially with lumber prices what they are. Not really worried about what it looks like either.
Thanks!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:22 PM

We spray them with 50/50 hydraulic / burnt motor oil and diesel. We use a pump up sprayer and spray the bottom side too.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Linseed oil works great also.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-23-2021, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Used oil

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seriously? You guys are spraying oil on trailer decking?? Doesnt that tend to get a bit slippery when they get wet?

At one time I had MANY trailers in use for my construction business. We never did anything to the decks. The deck on my loan survivor that I still have is nearing 15 years and does indeed need replacing at this time. I would say we got at least 10 - 15 years out of a trailer deck and they were abused. I use rough sawn red oak for decking though. Nothing pretty but it is stout.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Used motor oil works well to preserve. Soaks in the wood fairly quick and soon not slippery at all…

Could paint with oil base paint.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get caught spraying the wood with used oil or that 50/50 hydraulic / burnt motor oil and diesel mix. DOT finds out and they'll have you by the nads.

I used pressure treated for my utility trailer about 18 years ago and it's still good today.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Don't get caught spraying the wood with used oil or that 50/50 hydraulic / burnt motor oil and diesel mix. DOT finds out and they'll have you by the nads.

I used pressure treated for my utility trailer about 18 years ago and it's still good today.
Exactly, not to mention if I had a guy loading a piece of equipment and slipped on the deck, I can only imagine what osha and my workers comp investigator would say when they found out oil was put on the deck. Thats why I always left my trailers alone.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't use motor oil either, but to be clear the OP is talking about a trailer for personal use, so DOT and OSHA regulations aren't relevant.

There's a recipe for making your own wood treatment that's been used by the US national park service with good results:

Exterior varnish: 3 cups
Paraffin wax: 1 ounce
Mineral spirits or paint thinner or turpentine: Add to make 1 gallon

https://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-prese...-Windows04.pdf

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use 1 part wood preservative to 4 parts used motor oil. I even use it on my shed floor

Old 06-28-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We replaced the boards on our flatbed three years ago and treated them with Thompson's solid deck stain. Today there is no indication left that we applied anything at all so that was a failure.