THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
....Positive terminal next to the fender is a bad deal! .....
No kidding! I wonder how many fires got started in frontal collisions where the fender got bent into touching the positive terminal.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
No kidding! I wonder how many fires got started in frontal collisions where the fender got bent into touching the positive terminal.
Plenty! I ALWAYS remove negative cable first before even looking at the positive too hard.

Lead/acid batteries have a nasty little emission called hydrogen gas too! Doesn't mix well with sparks!

Old 07-29-2021, 03:03 PM

As a lead mechanic at TWA metal shop I used to give the guys hell when I saw them wearing gloves on a drill press or a belt sander any mechanical machine that could grab and tear

Old 07-29-2021, 03:05 PM

Yes always Negative first off Positive first on

Old 07-29-2021, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
That had to hurt! Positive terminal next to the fender is a bad deal! We've all had our moments!
When I got my car it had no positive terminal cover AND no tie down!! The battery was just sitting there, held down by gravity alone, with a bare positive terminal metal all around, hoping for the best. I got the tie down and I put a insulating cover over the positive terminal.

I'm paranoid about this because I grounded a positive terminal once when I was a kid. It partly melted my wrench and part of my car. Woo!. But, I will never forget it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-29-2021, 04:17 PM

That is why silicone rings are getting more popular these days. Consider yourself lucky that you just burned your finger. If you want to see worst case scenario google wedding ring de-glove, . I would suggest you do not google it but hey you have been warned. At my work we see 3-4 of these a year, it usually happens from guys on ladders getting hung up on something.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ouch!
I was installing a gable fan in the attic 25ish years ago and decided to tie into a pull cord light fixture. Rather than leave the attic, go down stairs to the breaker and kill the power, I decided I could get this done without all that bother. Just a bit later my wedding ring got involved too.....but just a little zap. I pulled the ring off and headed downstairs and popped the breaker.
I won't do that again.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work in the electronics field. I dont think Ive seen a metal wedding band around here in years. Everyone wears those rubber ones.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports