THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk68 View Post
Cary, corner Chapel Hill Rd and Morrisville Pkwy
Cool...thx.

I think Cary also has that BP on the corner of Kildaire Farm Rd and Maynard that carries ethanol free and some high octane juice...at least they used to.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 07-29-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Typically boats/ marinas want 89 octane.
There are folks who add water to e10, and let it separate and pour off the good gas. I am unsure the octane as Ethanol adds a fake octane boost to fuel as its no where near as dense as fuel, and can't produce the power in same amounts as gas.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No shortage in NW Washington. Actually starting to see it at more gas stations lately.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, so it must be some local thing going on here since it seems like it's readily available elsewhere.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Straight regular gas here in DE has to be very recent. I do know where Albe Dr. is, and I'll check on it Monday morning as I'm going right past there, or could end up there if it rains. Grandson has a baseball camp on Albe Dr. It's their indoor facility for if them it rains.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK guys, when the Ethanol has been removed, how much Octane has been lost as a result???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPZD8-2fLk

Old 08-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ethanol free in my area has only become available at one station within the last year, and it's only available in 87 octane so it isn't worth buying.

Otherwise no ethanol free in my area, never has been.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Ethanol free in my area has only become available at one station within the last year, and it's only available in 87 octane so it isn't worth buying..
More than good enough for small engine applications. Obviously, not optimum for a high compression street car..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
OK guys, when the Ethanol has been removed, how much Octane has been lost as a result???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPZD8-2fLk
Found answer to my own question. @ 5:10 in video.
4 to 5 points less octane. 87 octane down to about 83, 92 down to about 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7tn-rl_HGI

Old 08-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
More than good enough for small engine applications. Obviously, not optimum for a high compression street car..
I wouldn't even put it in my lawn mower.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk68 View Post
No shortage near me in Raleigh, NC area. Mobil non-ethanol 93 octane $3.49/gal. Filled up over the weekend.
That was a GREAT PRICE !
In Asheboro we just went to 2.89-2.99 for Regular87Unleaded Ethanol
93 Ethanol is 3.50-3.60
No idea what 93 Non-Ethanol would cost here right now , probably well over $4

Old 08-02-2021, 03:51 PM

Hello everyone
I just filled up the old GTO with 91 clear gas@ $4.37....geeze ...and it drinks lots of it.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Suspended

I thought the premium was ethanol free.

I was going to raise the compression on my 1977 454. But after tuning it, opening this engine is the last thing on my mind now.. This engine really hauls! I raised the initial to 20, mechanical to 16 in by 2600 and removed the vacuum advance. These little change's made such a big difference that taking this engine apart to change the pistons, rods and camshaft is the last thing I would do to this motor.. I think I'm going to change the timing chain with a new Morse style.

The guy who built my car got this motor when a demolished Book Mobil box truck that was demolished with 1000 miles on it was towed into the city pound. He asked about the engine and the guy in charge told him to take what ever I wanted. The car came without the 396 engine, 400 transmission or interior.
I got the car for peanuts because I helped him and his mom many years ago when there car broke down.. The wire between the HEI and the electrical system had a bunch of strands broken and acted as a resister..

Last edited by 389; 08-02-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, Insinger Performance on Albe Dr. in Newark is not gas from a gas station. It's sold in drums and/or 5 gallon cans. The same as VP Fuels does. And the octane is what it says.... 95 98 110. The also sell also sell alcohol in cans and drums. It's usually sold to guys that drag race, and those of us that use the gas in in our lawnmowers, gas trimmers, and chainsaws.. They wouldn't sell anything with octane below what they say it is or they'd be in big trouble with the Feds.

Ocean View, DE is way down in Delaware above Bethany Beach. I don't go down there so I can't tell if it's a real gas station or not. Tho I would say it's probably not a gas station where it's sold at the pump. Probably the same as above.

So it's kinda safe to say I'm still correct that No gas station in DE sells regular gas that is ethanol free. Believe me, I've checked everywhere up here above the Canal. If we don't have up here I guarantee no one does at the pumps down there below the canal.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. When separating , COOLER location will settle the water down to bottom ( put your container on the floor) better and faster.
2. To ADD REAL Octane to your fuel back in, use Toluene.
Toluene was used extensively in the turbo era in the 1980s by all the Formula 1 teams. The 1.5 liter turbocharged engines ran as much as 5 bars of boost (73 psi) in qualifying and 4 bars (59 psi) in the actual race. Power output exceeded 1500bhp, which translates into 1000bhp/liter, an astronomical figure.

READ THIS about parts store octane booster RIP OFFS

Toluene is a Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. >>>> from 92 to 92.3. <<<< yup that's only .3% of 1 point ! Often costs $5-10 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $7/gal at chemical supply houses or hardware stores. Home Cheapo used to carry this.
So you can take a low grade 10% acohol fuel and make it Alcohol free at around 80 octane PLUS Toluene.
This works, I have used it. Have a gallon in my shop.
>> Mixtures of % Toluene with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

Last edited by Formulabruce; 08-02-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:34 AM

When you remove the ethanol, you also lower the octane rating by as much as 3 or 4 points for E10 gas. So if you start with 91 Octane, you end up with 87 or 88 octanes.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
1. When separating , COOLER location will settle the water down to bottom ( put your container on the floor) better and faster.
2. To ADD REAL Octane to your fuel back in, use Toluene.
Toluene was used extensively in the turbo era in the 1980s by all the Formula 1 teams. The 1.5 liter turbocharged engines ran as much as 5 bars of boost (73 psi) in qualifying and 4 bars (59 psi) in the actual race. Power output exceeded 1500bhp, which translates into 1000bhp/liter, an astronomical figure.

READ THIS about parts store octane booster RIP OFFS

Toluene is a Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. >>>> from 92 to 92.3. <<<< yup that's only .3% of 1 point ! Often costs $5-10 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $7/gal at chemical supply houses or hardware stores. Home Cheapo used to carry this.
So you can take a low grade 10% alcohol fuel and make it Alcohol free at around 80 octane PLUS Toluene.
This works, I have used it. Have a gallon in my shop.
>> Mixtures of % Toluene with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
I have been using Lucas Octane boost for a few years and it sounds like from what you are saying I have been wasting my money. I have recently found a gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded gas ($10 a gallon) and I can tell you the car runs much better (69 GTO 10.75 compression) on the 100 octane gas than with premium 91 w/ octane boost. I do use a lead substitute additive and an additive that is supposed to negate the effect of ethanol. Are you saying you have to take the ethanol out of the gas to use the Toluene?

Carousel72TRed

Old 11-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel72TRed View Post
I have been using Lucas Octane boost for a few years and it sounds like from what you are saying I have been wasting my money. I have recently found a gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded gas ($10 a gallon) and I can tell you the car runs much better (69 GTO 10.75 compression) on the 100 octane gas than with premium 91 w/ octane boost. I do use a lead substitute additive and an additive that is supposed to negate the effect of ethanol. Are you saying you have to take the ethanol out of the gas to use the Toluene?

Carousel72TRed
I hate to tell people they are wasting their money, but you are correct in your assumptions. It is Very hard to compete with the massive marketing that so called "boosters" use with their flaming graphics vs Facts in a plain gallon can.
Toluene is THE only real way and cheapest way to improve octane. It is used in non alcohol racing fuels.
You CAN add it to alcohol fuel E-10. You do Not need much. It will add density and octane "rating"
Since alcohol has a high octane rating, and has zilch for mass density, its a loss leader in octane ratings we would desire.
What most dont know is that when you improve the density and octane of your fuel, your fuel mileage INCREASES.
Take a look at a epa sticker section on a new 1/2 ton gas truck window sticker
Cruising range is listed , then listed with alcohol fuel. Its about 33-40% Less with alcohol.
More heat, and Less performance.
Only reason some drag cars use alcohol is they can run a super high CR, and it burns fast. They dont go too far before a shut down and cool off.
.... Good luck ... with the facts!

Old 11-04-2021, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I hate to tell people they are wasting their money
Formulabruce, I understand your position on octane boosters. I realized the same thing years ago. When they were claiming "points" of octane boost and you read the fine print, they were talking about tenths of numbers. Total rip off.

There are some out there now that claim full number increases, not tenths. The one I have used is Torco Accelerator. They claim significant full number increases:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...60390944159411

Do you think that's legit or BS? I respect your opinion and would like to know because I don't want to waste my money either.

Edit #1: some of these products list the ingredients which include methylbenzene, which is Toluene. I haven't been able to find the ingredients of the Torco product yet which is weird. Usually there is a MSDS somewhere for stuff like this.

Edit #2: OK, I found a MSDS for it. It does not contain Toluene and since I'm not a chemist I'll have to look up the ingredients to see what I can find. Link: https://www.akr-performance.nl/media.../f500010te.pdf

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 11-04-2021 at 03:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, impressive claims ... I'm no scientist but I don't see why if the proper ingredients were added to a base fuel you couldn't reap some of the same benefits of using the race fuel ... which after all is a base fuel with additives. Not sure if any major refineries out there are producing batches of "race fuel" most likely they are just a base stock with additives ... but I don't know.

Some of the VP fuels I've run in race bikes appears to be almost a blend of chemicals rather than "gasoline" as we know it .... so maybe race fuels don't start with a basic refinery produced fuel stock.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post: