Old 05-25-2022, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I think when you compare the difference in fans, air sealing and radiators used in AC cars compared to non-AC the difference should easily make up for the added heat coming from a condenser.
When you think about it, AC does add some heat, but little compared to the heat the engine normally produces, the extra load is also pretty small, and the potential for reduced air flow should easily be compensated for with the larger fan and radiator.
Mikes Reply:

The AC raises the Temps 30 degrees according to the mechanic at the Radiator shop.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Jeez, NPS Mare Island?? That was a long time ago
So, you were freak-in Slide Rule days? I was in my first year of the calculator ... we showed them off like a pretty girlfriend, they were not cheap back then.

I was NPS Orlando 78.

I still have all my NPS handwritten notes ... shhhh, I know I wasn't supposed to keep them.
They would not let us use the calculators so how were we supposed to learn all the gadgets?
I graduated High school in '75 and when I got to college, I could have used the experience with the cal. in chemistry.

Below is what "grumpyvette" said » August 21st, 2009, 10:08 am
Attached Files
File Type: txt WATER PUMP UNDER DRIVE PULLYS txt.txt (49.8 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-26-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:11 AM
Suspended

Mikes Reply:

Another file about water overheating.
Attached Files
File Type: txt WATERPUMP OVER HEAT PROBLEM FIX txt.txt (44.4 KB, 145 views)

Old 05-26-2022, 01:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
There is another reason to spin the water pump at a higher speed, it increases pressure in the cooling system to help eliminate steam pockets in the cylinder heads.

As far as water traveling too fast, and a restrictor helping to cool an engine better. The absence of a thermostat lowers the pump pressure allowing steam pockets to form more easily, so if you put a restrictor in the thermostat housing it also eliminates the steam pockets by raising pressure. Having a restrictor, or thermostat, plus speeding up the water pump raises pressure. These 2 items work in conjunction to stop overheating.

This is where the myth starts about slowing down coolant, if a casual observer sees a restrictor helping the O/H problem they "assume" that the water is traveling too fast to reject heat. If that theory had any merit the coolant also wouldn't pickup heat from the engine, but the coolant definitely has no problem picking up heat as it passes through the block, therefore that myth is busted.

Electrons are how coolant releases heat into a heat exchanger/radiator, so as JL has said, it happens instantaneously. When steam pockets form the coolant is in a gaseous state, steam/gas is a much poorer conveyor of heat.

Steam pockets are the same problem that can cause a nuclear reactor to melt down. If the dome is steam bound and the water can't get to the core to cover it, more steam forms multiplying the problem. Venting steam in this situation is the way a reactor is saved to allow liquid to cover the core again.

When the hottest spots in the automotive cooling system, the cylinder heads become too hot, steam forms, and more pressure and flow is how it can be taken back under control, or stopping the steam from forming in the first place.
Mikes reply:

Good to use a higher rated Radiator cap and a HD Thermo activated clutch and Water wetter. IMO
Attached Files
File Type: txt WATER WETTER txt.txt (204.6 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-26-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well .... time to stick a fork in this thread.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amen

Old 05-26-2022, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. This horse has been fully beaten to death.

Closed Thread