THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Just bought 20 acres in Mo. now what?

Hi everybody. Wife and I are working stiffs in Ca and have been dreaming of a homestead for years. Last week we bought some unimproved land in Mo. I’m excited to build a home my family can enjoy! Raise my 2 year old in the country! Just like I grew up in northern Maine. Sure it will cost me my amazing job in southern Ca but I won’t live my life in fear of an unpaid medical bill. So three years my oldest graduates here in SoCal and we’re gone!!! Just wanted to share the adventure with you all.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool. I left the city and a good paying job a few years back. It was all about timing in my situation too. A son had just graduated high school, and my two youngest were young enough where they had no life long friends to leave behind.
I moved to a small rural town , took a job paying 50% less, bought my house in cash, and never looked back. Life is still busy as heck, but I’m doing things I chose to do, not a slave to my job.
You might want to check out this web site if your interested. Lots of info there for people doing similar things-

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Here is a thread I posted about a month ago.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/th.../#post-8762614

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.

Last edited by 67drake; 05-30-2021 at 04:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the Drake move. Debt-free for about a year now. Always busy doing house, yard, cars, and walkin the dogs. 40 hours/week is water under the bridge now. Building cash working parttime.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:09 PM
Boost Engineer

100 acre farms are cheap in Missouri. 20 acres is SMALL in size but better than living in a town.
Houses are average though. Small towns are everywhere.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Cool. I left the city and a good paying job a few years back. It was all about timing in my situation too. A son had just graduated high school, and my two youngest were young enough where they had no life long friends to leave behind.
I moved to a small rural town , took a job paying 50% less, bought my house in cash, and never looked back. Life is still busy as heck, but I’m doing things I chose to do, not a slave to my job.
You might want to check out this web site if your interested. Lots of info there for people doing similar things-

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

Here is a thread I posted about a month ago.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/th.../#post-8762614
Man that reply warms my heart. Very similar situation. No way I would uproot my oldest. My dad did that to me and I’m still a weirdo. Moving was very hard for me as a teen. My youngest is two.

The Following User Says Thank You to gobrdgo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I want to work in cash only for now so yeah it’s a modest place. If I could sell this house in the OC I’d be in the front row. But for now itty bitty is just fine

Old 05-30-2021, 06:34 PM

Congratulations! You mention "now what" in the title...tractors! You will need a turnkey for immediate use but getting a Classic running again is very rewarding. I recently put a Farmall A back together. $480 or thereabouts for pistons, sleeves and rings. For a working tractor be sure to get a 3 point hitch.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaleO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Move lots of Pontiacs in. Well no but a tractor with mower,loader,backhoe would help when you have choirs to do OR find local excavator that you can rely on for those small jobs.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrdgo View Post
Man that reply warms my heart. Very similar situation. No way I would uproot my oldest. My dad did that to me and I’m still a weirdo. Moving was very hard for me as a teen. My youngest is two.
Yeah, I actually made a killer deal on a foreclosure in this same town back in 2013, but I had 2 other kids in middle and highschool at the time. I couldn’t do it to them, so I backed out of the deal, then just put a camper out here at the local campground, and just came up on weekends.
I also choose to live in a small town as opposed to up in the hills or a farm because me and my wife are extroverts,and very social. I figured my two youngest would get bored on a farm or in the woods, so I wanted them to live in a “neighborhood “. Obviously everyone’s priorities are different, but I know we made the right choice. Either way, getting out of the city is a win.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody. Wife and I are working stiffs in Ca and have been dreaming of a homestead for years. Last week we bought some unimproved land in Mo. I’m excited to build a home my family can enjoy! Raise my 2 year old in the country! Just like I grew up in northern Maine. Sure it will cost me my amazing job in southern Ca but I won’t live my life in fear of an unpaid medical bill. So three years my oldest graduates here in SoCal and we’re gone!!! Just wanted to share the adventure with you all.
Where in Missouri did you buy your property?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Where in Missouri did you buy your property?
North of licking, south of Rolla off HWY 63

Old 05-31-2021, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have driven through there many times after my parents retired in Mountain Home, AR. 63 used to run right down Edgar Springs' main street past it's one general store. I used to stop there for a soda and enjoy the vibe of days gone by. 63 now bypasses Edgar Springs altogether,

You're not too far from Rolla, so when and if you need a "civilization fix" it's a quick drive.

Assume you will do well and septic but electric utilities could be a major expense.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! I was born and raised in St. Louis suburbs. Moved out a little farther to Union, MO. I have 27 acres near Vienna, Mo. That's about 20 miles North of Rolla. We split 54 acres with a life long friend. Property is a mile off of the Gasconade river. Have deeded access to a concrete boat ramp. Very nice little river. Gotta have a jet though!

Old 05-31-2021, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...a tractor with mower,loader,backhoe would help..."

Yeah, we live on 20 acres, in Louisiana, which is completely surrounded by woods.

We don't have a backhoe, tho it would be nice. But we do have a Kioti CK27 tractor, with loader & bush hog(our name for all brands of rear mounted rotary cutters). Don't really see how we could do without it. It's the perfect tool for so many jobs. When I bought our new JD lawn tractor recently, I also checked out a little 3025D John Deere that looked nice. If I had lots of money, I'd probably try one.

https://www.muttonpower.com/product/...tractor-loader

You'll also need a good riding mower, for your probably big lawn. Will need a good cordless string trimmer, which has enuff power to work a good brush blade. I mostly use a 40v Ryobi brushless rear motor trimmer, with a 10" brush blade. But, a Greenworks 40v rear motor trimmer is even better. The head has the larger 10mm shaft. I have one of those, also.

If you have any trees, you'll probably need a good chain saw, & maybe a pole saw too. Of course, because of my recent experience, I recommend all batt powered tools. If I could only have 1 saw, it would be the Echo batt powered model. But, if you prefer mixing oil & gas for 2-cycle gas engines, yankin 'em a LOT to crank 'em, & keeping them running, then go with gas.

https://www.echocordless.com/products/chain-saw/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-16-...V4AH/313410741

My low price choice would be the 40v WEN. Definitely the best bang-for-the-buck saw I've had.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-40-Volt...ger/1003266220

A batt powered hedge trimmer can also come in handy, and for more than just trimming hedges.

Many say they try to use tools that all use the same battery & charger. That sounds reasonable. But, I've found that all the tools I like best, don't necessarily use the same batt, & in most cases are not even the same brand.

Well, hey, when you live in the country you need tools.

Last edited by ponyakr; 05-31-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I moved from Utah to Tennessee a little over a year ago. Bought a foreclosed house on 65 acres. It's been a big project getting the house in order, but it was the best move we've ever made. Plus, I was able to keep my job and work from home!

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 05-31-2021, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought 10 acres in New Mexico. Bare. Need power, well, leach field, road work, tree clearing for site, power, and road locations. Sounds like both our paths just began.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
About 50 miles from where I live.
I commute to St Louis as I like the privacy and having land. You’ll love the privacy and peace & quiet.
Plenty of rivers and off roading if you’re into fishing or 4 wheelers.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Congratulations and good luck with the move.

I used to go to Rolla a good bit when I was at Leonardwood. Some beautiful country around there

Old 06-02-2021, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Out my tail predicting, but I think building material prices will drop from the 500% (or whatever it is) over old prices. I think they will go back to 20 to 30% from old prices, which is awful, but down 470%, ha. I think this will be a year from now we will see it. I would not build a home buying material now. I figure on my 1000-1200 sq ft small home build, today would cost 50 to 100K more on material costs. No way this can sustain. The rich folk up here are continuing builds, but some people are backing out of builds.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:36 PM

Excellent
You won’t find a place greener than MO.
One caution though
SNAKES
Copperheads
Timber rattlers up to 7 feet long
They take the winter off but are back every spring