THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
If your one of the $100 down buyers I don’t think it’s going to go your way.
No, actually ordered one. That $100 was the original deal to kind of get in line, before they were building. I had to put a grand on it to get rolling. We'll see on when and how it goes.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to clean up some posts in this discussion. Personal attacks, insults and fighting won't be tolerated in the Lobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Local Ford dealer here advertising cars nobody buys voluntarily; Nissan Versas, Dodge Journeys - at prices these cars would never get normally.

Kinda comical. Hope none of our dailys get totaled.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's capitalism in it's purist form. If people were not willing to pay 10-15% over sticker price for a new vehicle that will be worth 45-50% of that cost in 4-5 years, they would not be able to sell them. Then the price would come down. Does ANYONE really HAVE to buy buy a new vehicle? Or do we just want one. Big difference. Wait a year or so and see what the prices do. One of my fleets was going to buy 6 new Transit 350 vans. The dealer tried to pull that crap and they just said fine, we will talk again next year. That was nearly a 1/2 million dollar deal they let walk out the door. Their choice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 10:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On the flip side...

During the 2008 gas crunch, local dealers were offering amazing incentives to get trucks off their lots. A Dodge dealer with literally acres of trucks ran ads offering 50% off MSRP. Went to the dealer, newspaper in hand, and got an amazing deal on a new hemi Ram. Went thru a little pain at the pump for a few months, but gas eventually went way down. 180,000 completely trouble-free miles later, I still have it, and plan to keep it a good while longer.

I don't think anyone was lamenting that the dealers weren't making much (or any) profit back then...

The pendulum will eventually swing back, although it appears it's going to be a while. In the meantime, if someone is dumb enough to pay $100k for a pick-up, have at it. It is indeed supply and demand and, like real estate, it's now a sellers market. Suck it up or wait it out.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GTOnly70 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Does ANYONE really HAVE to buy buy a new vehicle? Or do we just want one. Big difference.
My last 5 daily driver non hobby vehicles have been brand new. Will NOT be in the market for pre owned ever again after being able to purchase brand new vehicles. There is something to be said for a clean slate with full factory backed warranty, and knowing that your seats haven't been farted on, or worse acts taken place in your interior...

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
My last 5 daily driver non hobby vehicles have been brand new. Will NOT be in the market for pre owned ever again after being able to purchase brand new vehicles. There is something to be said for a clean slate with full factory backed warranty, and knowing that your seats haven't been farted on, or worse acts taken place in your interior...
I agree with everything you say. The current price for that privilege is 10-15% above MSRP. It's what keeps our system humming along.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The service fees or price adjustments or whatever they want to call them are added by the dealers, not by the manufacturers. Not all dealers are doing it, so shop around.
Bought a 2021 Ford about 3 months ago; special order, paid sticker price less a manufacturers rebate the salesman found after we signed the deal.

Went to dealer for service on a different vehicle a couple of weeks ago. Saw he had a pickup on the showroom floor at sticker. Mentioned to the salesman that I was surprised no markup. He said they don't do that. Said he is down to only two new vehicles, but when this all shakes out hopefully next year, he will still have customers.

This is our first new vehicle since 1979 (still have that one). The new one is for the wife, and I do not feel comfortable buying any of the electronic marvels used.

Not all dealers are dishonest.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gm has THOUSANDS of trucks built and No CPU/ ECM/TCM/ BCM...
Problem is bad enough that Ford and GM are working together on more " Local" sourcing for electronics.
That said; the trucks sitting ARE last years model.. 2021.
They will be well in 2022 model year when these hit the road...... maybe..
Sales numbers pays line workers, not high prices.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Gm has THOUSANDS of trucks built and No CPU/ ECM/TCM/ BCM...
Problem is bad enough that Ford and GM are working together on more " Local" sourcing for electronics.
That said; the trucks sitting ARE last years model.. 2021.
They will be well in 2022 model year when these hit the road...... maybe..
Sales numbers pays line workers, not high prices.
Yup...joint effort to make chips here in the good old USA. Wlll take a while to spin up, but it's happening. Less dependence on China etc

The Following User Says Thank You to Sidponcho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Ordered a new Bronco and we'll see next year when built what they want. Allegedly list price at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
If your one of the $100 down buyers I don’t think it’s going to go your way.
8/3/20 reserved
3/13/21 ordered
11/22/21 built
12/5-12/11 ETA delivery
waiting for delivery this week

Before I placed order with dealer they said no games, no extra charges. Unfortunately, I later learned the paper work they gave me legally means nothing. My talk with the sales manager started with him saying "Dealers are charging 10-15k over MSRP...."

I can see the mark up for people just walking in but charging extra for an item all ready ordered (knowing you can't switch to another dealer) is not good business. I have to wait and see where this ends up.

Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
8/3/20 reserved
3/13/21 ordered
11/22/21 built
12/5-12/11 ETA delivery
waiting for delivery this week

Before I placed order with dealer they said no games, no extra charges. Unfortunately, I later learned the paper work they gave me legally means nothing. My talk with the sales manager started with him saying "Dealers are charging 10-15k over MSRP...."

I can see the mark up for people just walking in but charging extra for an item all ready ordered (knowing you can't switch to another dealer) is not good business. I have to wait and see where this ends up.
I hope the back off on the overage for your sake. That is not upfront dealing, whew. I am psyched for a year wait, but they hope sooner. Fits my money saving schedule, so I am OK with the wait. Have seen 2 door and 4 door ones in person and they are pretty cool. Drove a 4 door with Sasquatch option.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:07 PM

Not my money. It seems everything is priced like luxury goods right now. If I don't need it now I'll wait.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People seem to be forgetting that your trade in is worth considerably more now too.

I just checked the Carvana "buy" price for my 2019 Equinox with 34,000 miles on it. Carvana will buy it for $27,195.00. I purchased it 3 years ago - sticker was $36,000 - but I got $7,000 off with dealer discount and rebates so $29,000.00.

I also got another $9,000 off between my GM credit card cash and ACDelco dollars.

If there were a 2022 Equinox available for purchase right now with the options and color I wanted, I'd buy it.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:13 AM
Senior Chief

Wait till a year after this bubble finally bursts and their offering $10K below value for the trade you paid $10K above retail for. The lots will be full of unsold vehicles….

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwfisher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a few Ford trucks sitting, waiting for chips.
What a disaster!

https://youtu.be/xUpLLY9gNVg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D810E61A-F15F-4EEA-9E4C-F8542A58DC3C.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	579304  

Old 12-09-2021, 01:28 PM
Boost Engineer

My lease comes due in 4 months. I ordered my new 2022 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab ECOBOOST
truck last month. Whenever it gets here is when I pick it up.

I have about 10K invested in my current F-150 4x4 vehicle after 3 years.

When the 2022 vehicle comes, the dealer will sell the low mileage F-150 I have for a nice profit. The new truck will have far more Gizmos on it than I would ever need but for the lease price I get, I will not complain. Buyers are going to pay thru the Az* because of the Chip Shortages.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Wait till a year after this bubble finally bursts and their offering $10K below value for the trade you paid $10K above retail for. The lots will be full of unsold vehicles….
Yup...but the bigger issue is that so many will be upside down on their car or truck. I guarantee it is coming

Old 12-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
My lease comes due in 4 months. I ordered my new 2022 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab ECOBOOST
truck last month. Whenever it gets here is when I pick it up.

I have about 10K invested in my current F-150 4x4 vehicle after 3 years.

When the 2022 vehicle comes, the dealer will sell the low mileage F-150 I have for a nice profit. The new truck will have far more Gizmos on it than I would ever need but for the lease price I get, I will not complain. Buyers are going to pay thru the Az* because of the Chip Shortages.

Tom V.
If your current truck is a lease, it may benefit you to buy it, then trade it in. Residuals are less than current values.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered a new Ram 7 months ago. It was an unusually optioned vehicle with no chance of one like it being on the lot. several dealers told me they couldn't order it as I requested. Found a dealer a 100 miles away that ordered it, kept me well informed of the status and delivered it...never set foot into the dealership. Paid well below the MSRP.