Old 02-19-2022, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 2 Wire to Single Female Spade Connector

I’ve got a project underway that requires a pair of wires spliced into a single female spade connector like this:

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...25-term-10-pcs

Of course, American auto wire sells a Crimper specifically designed to do a pair of side-by-side roll crimps for this very connector - provided you don’t mind dropping $85.00:

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...lice-clip-6746

Since this is likely the only time I will ever need to secure this type of 2-to-1 connection, I hate dropping that dough on a tool I will use only once. Any tips on completing a nice crimp on this 2-to-1 connector without the special tool?

Thank you!

Old 02-19-2022, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

go slow
then solder ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2022, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Idk... maybe you could take a cheapo pair and weld the single groove closed and put two side by side in there? Or perhaps another way to join those 2 wires besides at the bulkhead?

Old 02-20-2022, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Of course you can find $20 and under knock-offs of every other crimping tool on the market - there are even cheap versions of the nice ratcheting kind. But nobody appears to make a knock off of the side by side crimper.

I’m wondering if I carefully twist the ends together and then crimp it like I would with a heavier gauge single wire?

Old 02-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought both Autowire crimpers. Haven't starting using them yet. I also bought a Classic Update harness Kit. I searched around and found them a little cheaper. I searched my email and can't seem to find where I bought them. I'll look some more. I'll post it if I find it.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you! And in a day and age where any competent mechanical labor is minimum $100.00 per hr, it may be that +/- $80 for a really nice tool is a decent investment. If I end up using them on 2 or more projects, they’ve definitely paid for themselves.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mission Accomplished

Well, I sprang for a nice pair of the correct crimpers along with a bag of the dedicated 2-1 connectors. Silly, simple project, but it makes life so, so much easier to have the right tools for the job. I ended up cleaning up a few other connections once I was in the yoga position under the dash. And now I have the right crimpers if I ever need to do more or on this car, or if a friend asks for help with a bigger wiring project.