Old 01-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 trans am brake lights

The brake lights are fine but every time the brake pedal is depressed the front side marker and fog lights come on. I'm not the greatest with auto electrical but have fixed many electrical problems over the years. I guess I'm just a bit confused on where to start, they are two different harnesses. I do have a complete wiring diagram, just not seeing it. Thank you in advance!!

Old 01-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check your hazard switch and/or hazard flasher first. By design, when hazards are activated and blinking, when the brake pedal is pressed the solid brake light “overrides” the flashing hazard, including the front marker and signal lights (which is what I assume you’re referring to when you say fog lights) so they will stay solidly illuminated until the brake pedal is released or until the switch is switched off.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy crap, literally two hours ago my daughter bought a stick car. She drove it home and of course stalled it a couple times, I was following in my Grandville with the 4 ways on and every time I stopped the lights in the dash stopped blinking, I thought there was something wrong with that. Makes sense, checking tomorrow evening!!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like the flasher switch is turned on and the flasher relay is not cycling. I would change the flasher relay first.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A bad ground in the trunk, for one or all of the stop lights, will send power back through the tail light wire to the front park/running lights and side marker lights.

Clay

Old 01-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
A bad ground in the trunk, for one or all of the stop lights, will send power back through the tail light wire to the front park/running lights and side marker lights.

Clay
Good point

Old 01-04-2022, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Clay
You got it thank you!! I previously cleaned the grounds in the front. Bill got me rolling in the right direction. This car sat for probably 15 years before I got it, I guess they did the trunk spray with the screw loose, discovered it maybe and just tightened up?, but cleaned it and they work now.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Clay
Can you identify all of the ground connection points in the car please?