Old 03-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Senior Chief

Default 67 GTO Engine wiring harness

67 GTO WT 400 (not HO) I’m replacing the solenoid on a Delco starter. The wiring harness has a 10 gage wire that is on the lug for the positive battery feed and a purple wire to the “S” terminal on the solenoid. Should there be a yellow wire to the “R” terminal? Haven’t had any issues running just the “S” but wonder if I am missing something. Does the original harness have both “S” and “R” wiring or does the harness route differently?

Old 03-15-2022, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67 GTO didn't use the solenoid 'R' terminal.

IGN-1/Run and IGN-2/Crank both happen with the ignition switch

Clay

Old 03-15-2022, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Clay!

I appreciate you taking time to respond

Steve

Old 03-19-2022, 09:12 PM

I'm trying to get my new engine build fired for the first time -- could you clarify how the ignition coil should be wired?
I have a Jegs SSR-III Ready-to-run distributor and Jegs High Output Ignition Coil

Does the positive terminal get JUST a 12v "crank" wire (spliced off the starter trigger wire in my case)? If so, how does it continue to make spark when the key returns to Ign-1/Run?
If not, what supplies power when the key is at the Run position? Is it the lower-voltage wire dangling in my engine bay? I have several wires with 12v at Ign1/Run but none have 12v while at Ign2/Crank.

I tried hooking up two 12v wires, one from the starter and one that supplies 12v during Run-- but that made the starter try to crank!-- clearly wrong.

Thank you for your help!

Old 04-06-2022, 12:47 PM

The IGN2 terminal on the ignition switch supplies a full 12V to the coil during crank via the black/single yellow stripe wire. IGN1 supplies reduced voltage to the coil during run via the resistance wire which is "WHT. ORN. & PPL. CR. TR." according the the schematics, whatever color that is. If I recall the resistance wire may have a cloth wrap.