Old 04-24-2022, 03:20 AM

Default WTB 1969 Grand Prix

MY FIRST CAR was a 1969 Model J with the 428 (not HO), dark green exterior, green cloth interior, a black vinyl top and 3.23 limited slip. It was #1521 off the assembly line that year. It was a hand-me-down from my Dad when he got a new 1973 Grand Prix in February 1973. I was 16 at the time. QUITE A FIRST CAR! My best friend and I had outrageous fun with it once we figured out it would outrun Chevelle SS396s. Just leave it in Drive, a little easy off the line, and--BOOM. Good times.

Along the way, I met a former Pontiac engineer who told me the first 1,600 1969 GPs off the assembly line were all painted that dark green! Mine was near the last. He said everybody was happy to see the last green one go past so they could go on to other colors. It was a marketing thing, I was told, and the dark green GPs were featured in magazines that Fall.

I enjoyed it until I traded it for a new '77 Honda Accord. Along the way, it had been hit twice while parked and had hailstone dents all over the hood and a swapped-in 2.73 rear when the old one went out, which pretty much gutted its performance...so I just lost my enthusiasm.

Regrets now; couldawouldashoulda.

My point: I plan to have another dark green 1969 Grand Prix. I will swap out the drivetrain for an aluminum block/head Pontiac-architecture 428, 6-speed, 18" Rally IIs and bulletproof rear end, but the car will still appear stock otherwise. I would like a dark green exterior and green interior but this time I'd like a real pedigreed SJ. I prefer the leather interior (but it would need new leather after 53 years). I MAY or MAY NOT go for a vinyl top; I'm not yet decided--but it would need replacement vinyl top, too, in any case. But with all the mods, I DO NOT want to take apart a numbers-matching car, so a roller or car with swapped-out engine would be ideal.

I'd prefer an original green interior in good unmolested condition, but the exterior color can easily be changed. I'd just rather start with good "bones," but any old non-original drivetrain (or none at all) will do. Price commensurate with condition. Thanks, and I'm hoping I find a good example.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story! Interesting, this is the first time I've ever heard about the first 1600 '69s all being Midnight Green and I've been following these cars for 42 years.

You may want to have a moderator move this post to the "G-Body" section.

Here's a couple of old crappy Polaroids of my first Midnight Green '69 GP that I bought from the original owner in 1982. A well optioned SJ with the std 428.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69sj1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	589479   Click image for larger version

Name:	69sj2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	589480  

Old 04-30-2022, 01:14 AM

Beautiful '69 SJ! Do you still have it?

Mine was a well-optioned car, with auto temperature control and power windows, but lacked the optional gauges found on the SJ. I obtained a hood tach but never got around to installing it before I let the car go. It was originally optioned with wheel covers, and I added Rally II wheels along the way. I also added a rear defogger. My best friend and I were into handling, so we added larger front sway bars (mine was a 1-1/8" from a junkyard SS396) and rear sway bars (mine was a 3/4" from an Olds 442). Those were nice upgrades that I will replicate next time around.

My trip down memory lane will have to be in a green '69 GP, but I'll definitely upgrade to the SJ and equip it with every available option from the time including the leather interior. I spotted the leather interior once in a used Grand Prix and fell in love with it. The engine will be a true Pontiac-architecture (but aluminum-block) 428 with aluminum round-port heads, possibly the Edelbrock offerings. It will look like the original engine except enthusiasts will spot the Ram Air IV-style round-port heads and exhaust manifolds right away.

My car also had a Turbo 400 automatic, like most of them, and I will enjoy a 6-speed the next time around. The console plate will be an extremely rare part to find. But then practically EVERYTHING will be super-rare.

Please let me know if you know of an available green "roller" or a modestly-priced car with decent body and interior.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, it's long gone. It actually surfaced again about 5 years ago, but the car was a mess. Would have made a good project car though. Here's the old ad for it...
https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/po...i-classic.html

This one owner SJ just sold yesterday at auction in AZ. It brought just under $30K with fees...
https://www.motorsportauctiongroup.c...-Grand-Prix-SJ

Good luck in your searches and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:35 PM

Here are a pair of green GPs in need of restoration. Not sure if originally those colors. Just happened upon the ad and thought I'd let you know.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-f1acea644278

Old 04-30-2022, 06:37 PM

Here is one in South Carolina. Not midnight green, but Verdoro. Originally a 428 car according to the ad.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-b663c0527162

Old 04-30-2022, 10:33 PM

That's a terrible shame, letting such an exceptional car fall into ruin like that! I wonder if it's still sitting in that Northern California backyard?

And HOW IN THE WORLD did you happen to notice your first SJ advertised--years after you'd sold it--and recognize it as your former car? And then keep the URL of the listing YEARS after it was advertised? And now I know I'm not the only eccentric guy that remembers VIN numbers decades later.

It's interesting the little things you notice that you never did before. I don't remember the "428" numbers below "Grand Prix Model SJ" on the rockers. I didn't know until now that the SJ had a tachometer where the clock was in my Model J. And I also noticed a seat back release on the side of the driver's seat. Mine had a button in the top-center BACK FACE of the seatback, where nobody trying to enter the back seat would ever see it or find it. That must've been a mid-year change. Did anybody ever get their fingers hung in the inside door handles, when pulling your car's doors closed? It happened three or four times with my car, and nearly resulted in filet of the skin off the tops of some innocent fingers! I saw they changed the latch handles to a more-conventional design for 1970.

Do you recall the address of the SJ's buyer? I could try Google Earth, to see whether the car is still sitting in that same backyard even now. But then again, another five years' neglect might be impractical to overcome; you never know.

YES, by all means, let me know if you should come across a candidate car. I would be most appreciative!

Best regards, Jim

Old 04-30-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guideplate View Post
Here are a pair of green GPs in need of restoration. Not sure if originally those colors. Just happened upon the ad and thought I'd let you know.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-f1acea644278
THANKS SO MUCH, Guideplate. The pair of GPs in Maryland look appealing. So long as I face a color and drive train change on the South Carolina car, it's priced too high to have all that planned work.

I'll let you know what happens with the prospect(s).

Best regards, Jim

Old 04-30-2022, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim...

Yes, unfortunately the older gentleman I sold it to back in 1983 did most of the damage over the 20 + years he had it where it was outside in the elements and not taken care of. I actually went to visit him around 2005 and look at the car with intentions of buying it back, until I saw it that is. It wasn't the same car.

I still have an old repro window sticker of the car with the VIN, but I also recognized it by the options it had and the ones I added. The 428 rocker emblems, dash tach and front seats w/passenger reclining seat were the things I added. I also had a loaded Antique Gold Model J at the same time I bought this car which had the recliner option with the side seat back releases so I just swapped the seats out before selling the gold car. Dash tach was an option with Rally Gauges, but this car had the clock originally.

Yes, the early built cars had that issue with fingers getting caught in the pull pockets. They revised the pocket on the later built cars to eliminate that issue.

No, I believe the car changed hands at least one more time after that as I recall. Here's a YouTube video of the car when I last saw it for sale, not sure if this is the same seller in Redding or not? I haven't seen or heard any more about the car since then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G51e4IImI-o

Will do!

Grant
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1st69sj.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	589815  

Old 05-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Revised Pull Pocket with added Guard

Jim,
Here's a photo showing the later style pull pocket with the added guard...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3456.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	589880  

Old 05-01-2022, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho4spd View Post
Jim,
Here's a photo showing the later style pull pocket with the added guard...
I remember having the guards on one 69 GP SJ that I stripped for parts. It snapped into place. Thought it was for covering up the two screw heads behind it. Wonder if a service bulletin was published to explain it’s purpose? I think two small cut-outs were required in the door trim panel pocket to install/secure it.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:05 PM

Here is one on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15497329995...hibI7B&vxp=mtr

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed