Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-21-2022, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Scattershields

A friend is upgrading to a scattershield and looks like we have two choices - and both are now owned by Holley. The Lakewood design has been "upgraded" and lost 14 pounds in the process and a hundred dollars cheaper than the QuickTime. Looks like it is still hydroformed but just a different process than the old one. The QuickTime claims that it is spun and not stamped.

My old Lakewood from the mid 1980's in my car isn't exactly perfection and all the holes were sort of in the right place, and the center large hole was a little oblong which makes alignment more of a chore. I would hope that the new processes involved in the Lakewood would make things more accurate.

The Lakewood is Pontiac-Oldsmobile with the starter kick out only on the drivers side where the QuickTime BOP unit is more universal and also has a kick out on the passenger side also to accommodate Buick. I guess as long as the friend goes to a remote oil filter the protrusion won't matter much.

The extra money isn't a deal breaker (his money ) but just wondering if I can get reports on the new design Lakewood and also the QuickTime on how the alignments went. We spent about a half day when we installed the TKO in my car getting the numbers right, and if the QuickTime would drastically reduce that it would be money well spent.

Here are the links to the Holley site describing each:

Lakewood

QuickTime

Old 04-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a McLeod and a QuickTime. QuickTime for sure.Tom

Old 04-24-2022, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you Tom. I'll pass it on.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:27 AM
Senior Chief

I have a Quick Time bellhousing, it's a nice unit. When checking it, mine needed moved in both planes. I think it's more a block issue than a bellhousing issue when they are out of spec.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

been using the Quick time lately in a lot of cars

Old 04-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time this comes up - I say- I've see two instances where the QT has failed.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

That one in the old body vehicle had a big window cut in it and no block plate, it don't count. I don't know about another, but would bet it was cut on.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Every time this comes up - I say- I've see two instances where the QT has failed.
The idea, explained to me 60 years ago, was if the flywheel or the clutch parts failed the failed parts would REMAIN inside the Scattershield.

The Lakewood Scattershield/plate and its Hydroformed process, did the job for many years.

The Quicktime has a LOT of OPENINGS in its design. Openings mean that the part has places where the exploding parts can
"escape" to the vehicle firewall and dash area and driver's body. Maybe Quicktime has this figured out in that the racer
would use a "Blow-proof" Flywheel and Clutch Assembly.

A street car granny shifted at 3000 rpm will never have an issue.

A Race car driven on the street, may be another story.

I am sure that their parts are nice pieces.
Where were the failures you mentioned, ponjohn?

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used both and saw no real difference.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I have used both and saw no real difference.
WHAT EXACTLY WERE YOU COMPARING??

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, just making an observation, I didn't put them both in a microscope, I was merely saying that I have used both and neither one seemed any better than the other.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy crap, I didn't realize they had went up that much. I think the last time I bought one it was around $400.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Lakewood and had to do some searching to find an oil filter that will fit between it and my headers to screw on. As mentioned before, I don’t think it would have been possible if there was a starter mount on that side.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used both also. I also didn't put them under a microscope.. lol. (Sorry, was too funny.) All kidding aside, the Lakewood is heavier than the Quicktime. They do the same job. I like the Quicktime unit.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO the QT takes up less room in the tunnel.Tom

Old 04-26-2022, 07:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I have a Lakewood and had to do some searching to find an oil filter that will fit between it and my headers to screw on. As mentioned before, I don’t think it would have been possible if there was a starter mount on that side.
hahah....YUP gotta use a short 3" dia filter!!!! been there DISCOVERED than I had to cut my ph25 to do the oil change AFTER i swapped from th400 to M21 and lakewood shield....enter the ph3506 ..

Old 04-26-2022, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the Lakewoods and McCleod in the past, the McCleod required less adjustment on the same block. (Not sure how much diff that makes, but figured I'd comment).

IMO, fitment is the key factor, since they all will contain a let-go. In that regard, the McCleod fit better, but not sure how much that helps, both still require alignment. (Haven't tried the 'new' design Lakewood tho). The McCleod is not a straight-round bell, it has taper, and slight indents, to help take up less space. Not even sure they make them for Pontiacs anymore, but I posted pics of an install here in the past.

I've had a number of discs blow apart, never had a plate let go, thankfully, so can't comment on protection, per se. I have seen plates let go, but not sure that was due to a flywheel explosion, the PP, or the bell, since those that I've seen were all OE bells.

I trim my bells, cut the whole lip off the bottom, and remove the pass side starter bump-out, both for clearance. It still contains a disc blowout, and can't see it reduced strength in anyway. (The outer circumference is what takes all the force, due to plane the flywheel/disc/PP rotates on, like, it won't go sideways.).

Wow, the cost certainly has gone up, like doubled! It's like how headers exploded in price, seems like overnight they doubled.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-26-2022, 10:09 AM
Boost Engineer

Any Scattershield is better than an aluminum bell-housing.

Have personally seen and posted about a clutch/pressure plate explosion in the past.
Happened at US-131 Dragway, Right lane, just past the stands.

Cast flywheel was in pieces, flywheel could have been the initial failure.
Took out the right side of the car: Glovebox/ dash/heater core, windshield.

Tom V.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I witnessed in early 71 at Thompson dragway a 427 Camaro explode a stock flywheel inside a Lakewood scattershield. Huh yeah I know!The flywheel cut through the stock bellhousing bolts. A piece of the flywheel hit a new 442 on the spectator side. It was a mess. An approved flywheel would have been cheaper I then went and bought a block plate. At keystone raceway I was beside a 348 chevy that blew the flywheel through the floor ,no scattershield ,missed guys foot,cut the brake lines car couldnt stop luckily he steered into a grassy area. Nothing to short change.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked on an engine where the owner had just part of the lining come off the clutch disk and the aluminum bellhousing looked like someone had punched holes with a pick ax partially through the aluminum bell. No steel came off the disk and just the organic lining caused the damage.