THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default Vehicle pet barriers in vehicles

Does anyone here use a pet barrier in their vehicle between the front seats to keep pets from coming up front. I went on a trip with my girlfriend and her Pitbull wanted to keep coming up front. Looking for some real world experience on what other people use, or suggestions. Looking for something heavy duty and can use in 2015 Silverado. Thanks

Old 05-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I fold the seats down and use a small chain loop (choker) around the child safety seat anchor on the back wall of the truck. Run the leash through and give him enough leash to lay down or look out the side window. He can stick his nose in-between the front seats for some human interaction but thats all.
Depending on how determined her pet is, a chain leash may keep him from chewing through the leash.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-10-2022, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have two. One in a Land Rover LR4 that is a Land Rover accessory. It bolts to the floor and side pillars and is very sturdy. Would definitely keep a dog from exploring and would hold up in a collision to keep the dog from going out the windshield, or hitting you. In my Toyota Sequoia I have one similar to this:

It will stop them from intruding (unless he's really aggressive) but obviously much less strong in an accident. But it would be better than nothing, probably would still work.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-10-2022, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have room a good crate manufactured by "Impact" would work well. and be safe for the dog.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have them in my 2017-2019 SUVs.They are a seat cover that attaches to the rear head rests,goes over the seats,we have fillers between the rear and front seats that make it like a dog condo,goes up the back of the front seat and is secured around the front head rests.Not know how well it would keep a really big dog out of the front.I think someone like Orvis made them.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have them in my 2017-2019 SUVs.They are a seat cover that attaches to the rear head rests,goes over the seats,we have fillers between the rear and front seats that make it like a dog condo,goes up the back of the front seat and is secured around the front head rests.Not know how well it would keep a really big dog out of the front.I think someone like Orvis made them.Tom
Have some sort of very similar black hd nylon cover in wife's 4Runner. It drapes up by attaching to rear seat headrests & covers the backseat. Our golden is similar size as jheins & biggest issue is even when well groomed they shed ALOT. Oliver is a great traveler & when we're packed fairly heavily for roadtrips, I'll fold the backs of one or both of the rear seats down so he can lay on a front quadrant of the load floor. he'll often lay his head where he can look forward behind the console. With replacement to the trusty 4Runner on the way, have my fingers crossed with how the long drives go with the 3 of us.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 05-10-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
...Our golden is similar size as jheins ...
Just to clarify, that was a stock photo from Weathertech. Not my vehicle or dog.

But the one in my Sequoia is very similar and holds up well with my two Rotties, It's about 10 years old and I have no idea where I got it so I just posted something that was very close.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-11-2022, 06:38 AM
Senior Chief

All good suggestions here, I thank you all for your replies. I already have seat covers in the truck so that helps with the seats. I do like the set up jhein uses, this is something I will look into, the dog likes to poke his head on the outside of the seats as well, so something that goes all the way across the back would be nice. Needs to be sturdy because he'll put his big paws on it and try to pull it down. I also thought about the harness thing that goes to the seatbelts. Of course i would have to run it by the girl friend. Another option was that if she wants to take the dog she could take her vehicle, but I dont think it would go over to well!! Thanks again all

Old 05-11-2022, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Her dog, but doesn't want to take her vehicle?? Hmmm....good luck.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400