Old 01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question $450 NOS 041 cam?

Why would you pay close to $500 for an NOS RA IV cam? Can't these be purchased for much less? What am I missing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...spagenameZWDVW

Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats crazy!! I bought mine a couple years ago from melling @ $180 CAD, cannot remember if included lifters (i think so). Unless this is different (right from PMD maybe)?

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PEOPLE are out of there minds, I got 1 for free new NOS

Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That really brings numbers matching to a whole new level.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could see it if it was for a 455 SD or RA V. ( not really even then)
With the cams having the smaller gear on it than stock.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

7 days to go, too!! That is going to beat this:

McKellar #8

Old 01-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder who the BUYER is??? ive got a ton of parts for him!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss
That really brings numbers matching to a whole new level.
I'm looking for some factory gasoline for my tank and some original air for the tires.

Ok, it may be time to e-bay my NOS 421SD connecting rods. What do you think I could get for them? The guy that gets that SD cam needs the right rods! (I don't really want to sell them.)

Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Parts prices / car prices

There have been a few threads about ridiculous prices lately. Here's a thought.

It used to be that you could find that part you needed and pay a "fair" price for it.

There are no (or very few) good deals anymore. Ebay is the main reason for this. NOS stuff goes for stupid money.

In turn, people are asking more for finished cars AND GETTING IT. The recent increase in car prices is directly related to the cost of parts.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM

Not so many years ago, before ebay, lots of people spent years looking for obscure parts to finish a restoration-or even to find what was necessary so they could start a restoration. No ebay but hours poring through ads and magazines, Hemming's etc. hoping that someone would list for sale the needed part/s .

Fast forward and the whole world is literally at our fingertips in all sorts of ways via the WWW. The hours of searching and phone calls that hindered a restoration is now virtually non-existent for a whole range of parts.

I think the increased availability of reproduction and NOS parts we can now find via the web has fueled the ability for more and more people to restore their cars, to buy a car to restore, or to buy a restored car (for those not into doing the work themselves). Lots of us want our cars and one for our kid to have when they turn driving age. We want our kids to carry on the classic/antique/muscle car tradition.

There are more cars being restored. Don't we all say "don't crush it or part it out, SAVE IT!!", so the premium pieces command premium prices.

That has lead to some good, some not so good repro parts like the 69 tail light lenses and bezels(good). Hard to tell the difference when on the car but the last complete set of NOS 69 GTO lenses and bezels I actually saw sell on ebay was well over $1k. $500 will get you repros that look great.

I don't think the prices will fall back but are more likely to continue to rise. Crazy money for some things. No one would think anything of a person spending $2k to go on a cruise but when a wad is spent on a car part. As long as good repro parts continue to hit the market at reasonable prices, then I think most of these cars will have a chance at life for decades to come. $.02