Old 12-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 400/RWD Conversion on 94 Bonneville SSE Anyone Ever Done This?

One of my favorite modern-day Pontiacs was the 94 Bonneville SSE that I purchased new in April of 94. It was Red with Tan leather interior and loaded with options, including the rear spoiler and 16" wheels. I loved everything about that car but always wished it had been a V8 rear wheel drive car - the way Pontiac should have built it. Although, that 3800 V-6 took me 140,000 miles without ever failing. I sold the car to one of my customers for his son and when they sold it to the third owner, it had over 200,000 miles on it and neither the engine nor the transmission had ever had anything other than normal service performed. But, I digress....

Here is what I want to find out. Has anyone ever done a V8 and rear wheel drive conversion on one of these cars? I am considering buying that car back from the third owner and attempting to do such a conversion. I want to find a 400 block, build it, then mate it to a 4-speed and a 3.55 posi rear end. I'm thinking that would be one badA$$ Bonneville that would be a blast on both the street and the strip.

Before I go off the deep end, does anyone know if this has already been tried? Pictures and details would be great, plus names and numbers. I don't want to reinvent the wheel - so talking with someone who has already done it would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance,

BJ