Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default cruise control install

I have a '69 Bonneville I am installing cruise control in. I have two issues I am trying to solve snce I do not have a template car for comparison. First, where is the vacuum source for the transducer? The book is not very clear to me. I now think it is the black rubber verticla multi-port located on the front right of the intake manifold. My car currently only use three of the ports but it would not be difficult to make an openng for a forth and insert a hose connector. Is this correct?

Second, where does the vacuum hose and the speedometer cable enter into the passenger compartment? The book seems to show an opening above and between the steering wheel brackets which would put it above and maybe slightly to the right of the brake booster. I can find no openings around the brake booster. Am I going to have to cuet a hole in the firewall or am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. Brad

Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I assume you are installing a factory cruise? My 70 Bonneville has a tee fitting in the vacuum line between the carb and the pcv valve under the intake. That is a fairly large vacuum line, like the fitting on the cruise and the line runs to the fitting maked C on the regulator. The vacuum line comming from the fitting marked R on the regulator also has a tee. The R connects to the servo and the line from the tee goes through the firewall to the brake pedal. The tee on the R line is very close to the regulator. In other words, there is about an inch long vacuum hose coming out of the regulator, then the tee. The speedo cable and the vacuum line to the brake pedal enter together through a grommet kind of under the brake booster.

I bought my Bonneville in 1979 and it was untouched. It also is exactly the same as the service manual shows. I think 1969 was identical.

The speedometer cable enters at the same place as does a non cruise car

Last edited by David Brown; 09-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just realized I have a 69 service manual. There are some differences. The main vacuum definitely comes out of the pcv line, not the four port fitting on the intake. That controls spark advance vacuum and the ports open and close depending on engine temperature. The 69 uses a chain to the carb, the 70 has a cable that connects to the carb linkage. It appears in the picture that the vacuum line to the brake goes through a grommet kind of above and toward the center of the firewall, but I am pretty sure that the speedo cable connects the same as with a non cruise car except that it is a two piece connected by the regulator, but going through the firewall at the same location. All the other vacuum and tee fittings appear to be the same for both 69 and 70.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the replies.

There is a rubber grommet on the firewall for the vacuum hoses that connect to the a/c vent door controls and there is space for a larger diameter hose to fit thru. This rubber grommet is in the center of the firewall. It is not hard to have the vacuum hose for the brake pedal relase swithc to go thru it and then be routed to the switch. This is just at odds with what my manual seems to indicate.

Second, and again at odds with what the manual seems to indicate, is the speedometer cable using the same entry point as the standard speedo cable which is down below the steering column. I haven't measured it but will presume that it will fit.

As for the vacuum source being on the PCV hose I am good with that but the hose diameter is significantly different. Is it connected with a "T" with different diameter openings? What does your car look like?

You are correct. This is a factory '69 cruise control set up (out of anohter '69 Bonneville-with a 2bbl carb, go figure) with the valve cover straddling bracket for the servo and the chain linkage to the carb. I have almost all the parts now.

Thanks, Brad

Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The tee on the pcv is large diameter for both ends of the pcv tube, but the nipple that comes out at a right angle and goes to the cruise is smaller, the same size as on the regulator connection.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I checked the cable out from the transducer to the speedometer. I can see how it might work if it was close to the brake booster. It really is not very long allow for it to go down low on the firewall and then back up to the speedometer. It will have to a straight shot with little room for deviation.