Old 02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago when I was 17 I was driving back home on a divided highway with two of my friends in my 78 Formula 400. A Michigan state trooper had somebody pulled over on the opposite side of the highway. My friends enthusiastically urged me to "pipe" him - give him a couple of neutral revs through the cherry bombs.

This apparently got the policeman's attention. By the time I pulled into my driveway about 5 miles down the same highway, I noticed the trooper slowing down rapidly from a high rate of speed to cut a turn right behind me into my driveway. My friends quickly ducked out and left me to deal with this situation alone!

I received about 5 minutes of lecture about my "stupid stunt", peer influence, and "where are your friends now?". After that, he pulled out of my driveway, tipped his hat, and dropped a very nice holeshot that left a good trail of tire marks for years to come.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:05 AM

i had a 70 gto i got when i 17 still have her 16 years later . i just got the car and me and my buddys was out drinking one nite. i started down the alley at are local stop n go store and fired her up smoking the tires. we got to the end of the alley and i saw a local township cop sitting in next alley watching. seeing as how i just got the car i did not know my 30 day tag fell off. we hit the turn signal and started down the street and he just sit there. i got to the stop sign at the street i lived on . we had just turned and seen his lights come on and he started after us. well me young and dumb i floored it. when i got to the top of hill you seen he come in the distance. i kill the lights and started down a old farm road i whiped it down and drove off in a corn field and we sat there wait to see if he came by. i did know but i knock a hole in the oil pan. we sat there and drank some beer for about a hour. when we started out we did not get far and started ticking and knocking so we parked the car and walked to a friends house who dad own a tow truck and got him to tow the car home. on the way home he wanted to stop at the store and get a soda. we pull in and guest whos there. the cop asks who owns the car my friends dad tells him i do .he walks up to me and sees the corn stuck under the car and ask what i was doing around 11. i told him i was in brookville and that something had broke on the car and we drove off in a field. thanks to my friends dad backing my store he walked away.he said i see you had a fun night . he know it was us . car still sits in barn from that night some day i will drag her out and fix her.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:02 AM

My first car was a 72 lemans with a 455(out of a 70 wagon) It was in primer and had a bucket of bondo in it I was cruising the one ways were all the kids hung out back in the good old days. Me and a 70 boss 302 were jumping um showing off. At the next light we both did a brake stand threw the hole light, the downtown area looked like it was on fire.The turned green and raced down the strip about 1/4 mile later side by side at about 100 mph we see cop cars waiting on the side of the road(turns out thier was a cop 2 cars back at the light but couldn't see threw the smoke to chase us and we couldn't hear his siren) well any way back to the story,I new I was in trouble so ,I did the stupid thing and ran, so did the mustang. We came to a T intersection and went separate ways I pulled down a side street and hid my car behind a RV. 10 seconds later a police car comes flying by locks up its brakes as he flys by, backs up and jumps out of his car. Then rips my car door open and starts screaming at me calls me every name in the book, tells me hes taking my car my license and taking me to jail. After what seems like a week of sitting in the back of his car,he tells me to walk home(7miles)and if I get a ride I'm going to jail. He told me my Dad would have to get my keys and license from him personally or my car would be impounded. I bet that cop drove past me 10 times that night as I walked home, I got home about 3AM.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used to live on a corner 3 blocks off the main drag. Growing up every friday and saturday was like watching a parade make the u-turn in front of my house.
Every friday and saturday night we'd terrorize our small 3 block subdivision doing burnouts. There was a church parking lot whose back faced the strip. We'd sit there and watch the cars go by, then do burnouts and go home. One night I rolled out and smoked'em up the street as a cop was coming the other way. Living just 2 blocks over, I headed for the house as quietly as possible. Turned the corner and ducked into the driveway on the other side of my dad's van. Seconds later the cop comes flying by. We stayed ducked down till he passed.
While I was in Phoenix, I got busted pretty good. I was behind a strip mall in my firebird, doing a massive burnout. I rolled out onto the street and there's johnny. He gave me a ticket for loitering.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In college, after a night of barhopping we went to the local IGA and got a gallon of bleach to do bleach burnouts in front of the house we lived in. We used my 66 Chevelle SS396 4-speed and after giving 4 buddies a turn, the street was blanketed with smoke and black tire marks. One last run and I pulled into the service drive next to the house. I walk around front to be greeted by two Champaign (IL) cops. They said they got a report of somebody "drag racing" and ask if I had seen anything. I said "Nope, haven't seen a thing!" Luckily they didn't spotlight the driveway where the car was perked. If the cops had been there a minute earlier we would have been busted.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just got the new 455 running in my 67 lemans, and the juice hooked up,The engine had about 1000 miles on it out of my 69. so after a longggggggg nite I take it out open headers,No hood,ect. only wearing shorts, no shoes,shirt,wallet. well I go to the local SPOT to show it off a bit...after a great burnout, a cop pulls up just as I hit the juice. got me for all kinda things, and said I tried to run, I said no, before I saw you I hit the juice, car goes on a wrecker, I go to the "office" and the best part was when they searched me (only wearing shorts) he says what's in your pockets I say Nothing but my nuts.... I didn't mean it the way it sounded, but when they checked my pockets, there were lots of nuts..LOL. since I had all kinds after the fresh install...live and learn, I never have seen so many cops burst out laughing.... oh and my ticket was only $55. and the $38 for a tow,

[
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was once stopped in 1985 by the Georgia State Patrolman who was in smokey and the bandit.He was the GSP whose car landed on the flat bed truck close to the end of the movie.He line was "Son,can you let me off at the next exit".The weird thing about the whole thing that i was driving my 1977 SE T/A,and a few days later i found out he was in the movie.I seen him a couple days later at Mcdonald we had a couple good laughs and of course i had a crap load of questions to ask him.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Suspended

I have lived within 15 miles of Sacramento Raceway most of my life. There were a few times that I drove my car to the drags with 10X28 and 11.5x29.5 wrinkle-wall drag slicks on the street. On one of these occasions when I was on my way home from the races, I made the mistake of getting on the freeway for a short distance. While on the freeway a Sacramento Sheriff was behind me and on my tail. My speedometer did not work and I was so nervous that I was going to get a ticket for driving with slicks that I was driving slowly to be sure that I was not speeding. I generally knew how fast to drive by my tachometer but I was so busy looking in my rearview that I ended up driving slower and slower. The Sheriff followed me for a couple of miles before he finally turned his lights on and pulled me over. He looked my car over and said something about my bald tires and didn't even notice the not intended for highway use lettering on the 10x28 M&H slicks. He wrote me up for impeding traffic (driving to slow) and a fix-it ticket for the bald tires. I was laughing all the way home

Last edited by 10secbird; 09-21-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:20 PM

In 1990, my buddy had just bought the 65 Goat shown in my picture. Long story short, he died, I bought it. Anyway, he bought the 65 from someone in Arizona; we both flew down so we could drive it back to Seattle. The trip was fairly trouble free until we were in southern Oregon on the coastal highway when we just passed through a small town and were stuck behind a full-load logger rig. My buddy decides…well, what the hell, it’s a GTO. We pass this logging truck on a two-lane bridge and cruise along for a couple of more miles when the Oregon State Patrol pulls us over. The cop, over the microphone tells us to put our hands on the dashboard. Then he approaches with his gun drawn. My buddy says…holy-crap, this guy’s serious. The cop starts asking questions, which we answer; he says…you know why I pulled you over don’t you? We said…. uh, no, not really. Well, for the first thing, I saw you going through town and notice you didn’t have any license plates on the front or rear. I decided to pull you over at that point, but by time I got going there were a couple of cars in front of me, and you were behind the truck. The next thing I know is I see this blue blur passing the truck. I don’t even have a clue how fast you were traveling, and it took me a couple of miles to catch up with you. When I finally pulled you over, I decided to check to see if there were reports of any stolen GTO’s and since you didn’t have any plates….you were driving like a maniac, I was sure this was a stolen car.

Oh, and by the way, Cool car……you kids take it easy from here to the Washington border now…..no ticket, just a big sigh, a big smile and a big relief.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 PM

I was in my 74 Catalina 455ci and had a friend in the car with me. I was talking about how much power the car has. I was getting on the freeway at night and noticed some car head lights already on the freeway behind me,. well needless to say I punched it , bout a short distance down the freeway at the next exit I got off. At the off ramp I was doing bout 121MPH. While waiting at the light we heard sirens. We looked around trying to find out where they were coming from. Next thing I noticed my car was all lit up by lights. I pulled over and the cop walked up to the door and asked " do you have ANY idea how fast you were going? " I didn't know WHAT to say other than " ugh,,,, ummmmm, ugh ,,," The cop said " eighty , I clocked you doing eighty!" I accepted the ticket , droped my friend off and went home glad that i didn't go to jail. Those 455's will haul @ss!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I used to go to the street races in Southern California me and a buddy thought we would leave our normal race spot and head to Lakewood. Most of the cars who race in Lakewood gather in a shopping center. Back then I had a 1992 454SS pickup that would run 13.79 at 102 in the 1/4. Well after a few races we decided to go home. My buddy tells me to put on a show so I decided to do a power brake in the parking lot. Well after roasting the tires for about a 2 minutes and hearing all the whistles and screams I let the truck roll out of the smoke into the bright lights of 3 cop cars. Thank god a couple of bikes at that moment go down the main street at about 50 mph on their rear tires and the cops took off after them. Sometimes lucky is better than good.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:27 PM

I have two police and one fire dept. Being a bit windy i will TRY to keep them brief. Bear with me, they are true, and funny.

I had just finished building an extremely hot 68 Firebird with a 400 with about 550 Hp, TH400 and 4.10's in a twelve bolt posi with ladder bars and 50 series meats on the back. This car was fast. I ran low 11's in it often by simply putting on the slicks and shifting at 6400 rpm. It was senior prom night, and at after the prom my girlfriend and our two best friends decided to leave. It was about 4am. We were going to go to my apt ( lived away from Mom! YES!!!) to have a few brews and make out. We pull up to a stop light at the freeway offramp in Oroville ca at Grand Ave and my buddy steve who had never been in the car noticed my solid lifter cam loping like crazy and idling at 1300 rpm in drive and asked is it fast? Before I could process where I REALLY was (RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CHP station-and I KNEW it!!! Doh!) I laid into the thing and just destroyed the rear tires. I laid about 200 feet of rubber and went through all three gears until we hit about 100 mph which happened VERY fast. Well, Johnny Law was waiting fer me right there. Three cars hit their lights at once and I made no effort to flee. This time. Cop walks up grinning and says, "who the hell do you think you are? Speed Racer?" "No sir" I replied!

I TRIED to talk my way out of it, but they laughed at my lame excuse, said it was the best burnout they had ever seen, and wrote me the most expensive ticket I ever got. Min wage in 1978 was about $1.65 and hour as I recall(could be wrong the seventies were VERY good to me) and the ticket was $186!!!OUCH!!! My friend Steve graciously paid half the ticket as I simply could not cough it up. We have been freinds since the 7th grade and still speak occasionally. Righteous dude. To the cops credit they were 100% professional about the whole thing, and noticing our garb did not haul me off to jail.

Same car, well broken in now...two of my best friends Franie and Jim and I all decided to go out to the rockpiles and do some bo and luke duke driving. We had just finished some insane manuevers in the gravel tailing (old dredger ponds and miles and miles of crazy gravel roads leading to them) when we decided to head back into town. the car was hot, we were toasty as well;-) and all of a sudden red lights in my rear view! Oh NO!!! Im going the exact speed limit...What did I do wrong? He was about a 1/4 mile back...so...being in an altered state of mind I decided to make a run for it. i knew I was faster, and in the small town of Oroville, I knew there was no air support... so I foolishly laid into it, and hit about 70 through the empty streets of the "ville" midful of the fatc that there was a very good chace of an accident at this speed. The cop and his car were SLOWWWWWW! Frankie said "hey maybe lincoln street is wide enough at the next intersection to swing a 180"...so I did...at about 85MPH! No brakes either, just full f'ing drift. I was in rock pile mode on pavement! I thought for sure we were going to roll the car but she held up and swung her ass wide and clean. Smoke was pouring out of the wheelwells. I went by the cop at full throttle. He was so red faced I could see his eyes bulging and his gritted teeth...and he saw me. Damn!

My first thought was stop and pull over. This is over. But...as I said this was not the way to be apprehended. If he caught me later he would only be able to get me for speed and evasion, but if he caught me now...well, i think you all know where I am coming from. Then... to my utter shock and amazment he simply shut off his lights and kept driving the other direction. Frankie and Jim were whooping and hollering for joy. I took the cops clue and did the same and dropped my speed down to the posted limit and made for the outskirts. I felt a whoosh of relief and my buddies were blown away. I had just pulled off a dukes of hazzard escape! But not quite.

My girlfriend who was with me when i got the ticket was working at Taco Bell, and a few weeks later, I got a call at work from her asking me about it. We were married by then, and I fessed up. She was at work too, which was strange-why would she call me from work at work to ask about a cop chase that happened a few weeks ago? Hmmm....enquring minds...

I knew it wasn"t good, but I went back to my work at the butcher counter and it bugged me all day. I was worried. Before she hung up..she told me to hide the car and she would talk to me later. She couldnt tell me now. Oh.... I HATE that!

She came home pissed off as hell at me! Turns out they were so determined to "get" me they sent up a special Z28 interceptor CHP car, and he came in looking for me at the TB. They wanted to put the fear in me and they surely did. i might have won a lot of 1/4 mile races handily with the firebird, but there was no way I could outrun that interceptor at top speed nor was it likely outdrive the hired gun they sent to get me. Needless to say i parked the car at my my Mother in Laws house for about 6 months

One last one that has nothing to do with the police...it was the fire dept. Another buddy of mine, Chris and I were on my way over to my apt, and we decided to do some donuts on Nelson Ave. why? Hell, i dont know. seemed a good idea at the time. It wasn't. i spun about 8 donuts in a row... hard into the throttle, and turned into as tight as it would go, and there was so much smoke and noise the fire crew thought we had an engine fire, and we were trapped. they came running towards us with 4 fire extinguishers!!! We let off the throttle, thanked them, and left in a hurry, and I realized then I had to to sell that car or die in it!!! I was simply not to be trusted with that much power!!! I was pretty talented as a driver, but foolish.

Now boys and girls, what did we learn fastgtr's story? Dont drive like he did or you could get a ticket! Or worse yet, some unwelcome fire extinguishers coming at ya with some rather determined firefighters who intend to help! Far worse, you could very well kill someone. Gladly I have never caused an accident or hurt anyone. But...I sure could have. Now...I merely cruise the GTO mellow and open it up at the track. Safely. current GTO's best time is 12.02! I'll break those 11's yet!!!

It's VOLUME your needin'!!!

I like to Turn it up to 11...Nigel Tufnel...Spinal Tap
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

^ At least you lived it up and dont have any regrets, that was truly awesome

Old 06-24-2005, 08:44 PM

I have enjoyed an interesting(must have pissed off a chinese philosopher in a past life:-) )and mostly great life. I have a zillion hysterically funny crazy stories to share with my kids and my mom often tells them of some misbehavior I indulged in, such as putting a skanky snagged up slakmon in a mean old ladies mailbox one hot saturday affternoon. It stayed put in that box until Monday and she found it all ripe and steaming!!! Fixed her wagon!!!

If you think my teens were wild, imagine being on the road as a lead guitarist and vocalist from age 14 on! I got some stories!

It's VOLUME your needin'!!!

I like to Turn it up to 11...Nigel Tufnel...Spinal Tap
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was about 19, and on my way home on a friday or saturday night from cruising in town in my 79 bird. We lived several miles out in the country, and the street I was on (a 5 lane street, middle lane was a turn lane) led to the 2 lane country road that was the way home.

However, while cruising the speed limit on the 5 lane a girl pulled out from a side street in a camaro burning rubber, and she messed with me all the way down the 5 lane street until the road narrowed into a two lane, passing me and slowing down. I had recently been in some "trouble" and I was determined to be good, but she passed me once more on the two lane and slowed down again. I had finally had enough and passed her and the car in front of her which of course was an unmarked sheriff's patrol :-(

I pulled in and slowed down but the deed was done. For some reason the cop allowed me to open up a gap before he started speeding up after me. I knew that there was an intersection coming up that featured a sharp right onto another 2 lane road, and I put the T/A's good handling to use making that turn. The cop missed it; I saw him hard on the brakes as he was stopping and preparing to back up. I hauled ass a couple of miles to a gravel road that I knew about, pulled a couple hundred yards down that road, and shut off the lights. Sure enough in about a minute johnny blew by with the dash light flashing. I pulled back out and went the other way straight home and counted my blessings.

Another time I was showing off for some friends on a two lane road that was in the country but was within the city limits (speed limit 40) and blew past a city cop at about 80-90. I just kept my foot in it and the cop never even bothered to turn around.

Now i'm old and I can't believe some of the foolish stuff I did back then.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Well, My ticket story is pretty standard, I didn't get out of it, and the cop didn't seem all that stoked about my car (but at least he wasn't an a-hole about anything)
Anyhoo, I was only doing 80 on the 215 south in the fast lane--there were cars passing me on the right when the cop got me oh well, you drive a muscle car and pay the price I guess.
Though I didn't pull any stunts or anything impressive, I gotta say that cop pulled a good psych out on me. I saw him pull up behind me on his bike, and I quickly changed lanes and slowed down 10mph, then he acts like he's gonna go right by me in the other lane, and he slows down and gets behind me with his lights on! DOH!!!
So, needless to say, I got a speeding ticket cuz I wasnt going 65 like everyone else in California does.
But it was a damn good psych out

Old 09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was sitting in the outside lane of a double left turn lane. A white bumper pulled up in the inside lane about even with the door.Light turns green, we both go normal like. I hear him get on it a little harder so I do the same. Were about through the turn and I hear him get on it. So I open the trips and let him get a good listen to a 421 3x2 4 speed 2+2. Hit 45 (the speed limit) an see he's 50' behind me so I let off. He pulls up next to me ,honks and gives me the thumbs up and goes on.

A cop in a white unmarked crown vic police interceptor.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 AM

Driving home late one night in my 69 firebird, I had just come home from college for the summer and had yet to unpack the car so the back seat was filled with....books. I pass a state cop waiting in the breakdown lane. I am only going about 60, but as I was the only car on the road he pulls out behind me. As the distinctive LTD headlights kept inching up n my bumper, I began to slow down in 5 mph increments hoping he would pass me. A favorite tactic of the Mass State cops in the late 80's was to ride your bumper tightly at night on the highway and not pass. When you sped up to try to get a little safety margin, they would pull you over for speeding. Finally hit about 45 and on come the blues.

He proceeds to ask me to step out of the vehicle. He proceeds to give me all sorts of grief and searches the vehicle, gets really mad when all he finds are text books and soda. Finally starts talking about speed and wants to know why I slowed down so much. I said "Because I knew you were behind me" He looks with complete surprise at me and says "Oh, I never thought of that" then just gets in his car and speeds off.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

The airport I work on is an old Air Force base with large areas of concrete ramps, by the way the airport manager is very up tight and if any black marks show up on the airport I get an not so pleasant visit from the airport manger ( retired military cornel ). The DPS started doing their officer driving draining coarse on the airport. Cop cars as far as the eye could see. Well I’m driving my 71, black, weld wheels and a well built 455. I had to go by the area were the DPS was training to take care of some business at the paint shop at the other end of the field. So as I idled by needles to say I caught a LOT of looks. I took care of my business at the paint shop and headed back to my shop. As I once again idled by the DPS training area a large black officer stepped out of the crowd and motioned for me to come over there. Now its one thing to get pulled over but I am now having to drive my 11 second street car in to a group of about thirty DPS officers. So when I get there the rather large black officer walks over to my car with the whole group in close trail, and then it starts: “Man neat cat” “What year is it” “What size engine” “Are you running nitrous” “Do you take it to the track” “How fast does it go” After the barrage of questions the black officer said “O.K. son this is your one chance, LITE EM UP!” So I did. All the way trough third gear across the ramp with cops cheering me on. Life is good.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have so many and 99% were so long ago I'm begining to forget them, LOL. I got pulled over a couple weeks ago for 105mph in a 70mph in the TA. I got a ticket but lucky for me it was only for speeding! The guy was real nice and after he wrote the ticket all he wanted to know all about the car. LOL That made the whole thing a bit less painful.

I wish I knew the Washinton State Patrol Officer's name but I would like to thank him for not throwing me in jail. LOL! It was a good wake-up call!

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato